Windows 7 Intermittent Connectivity

HanSolo

I just recently updated to Windows 7 Ultimate and now I can not access the internet.
I am able to join the network, see the router and receive an IP from the router. It tells me that I am connected to the internet but when I open any browser the page times out. I've release/renewed, disable/enabled the LAN Connection and nothing seems to help me connect. On rare occasions google.com will load or msn.com but it does not seem to be connected to anything I am doing.

when I connect straight from the cable modem I have no problem accessing the internet. Also there are 4(3 of them W7) other computers connected with cables and 3 laptops that can all connect fine.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Recently I tried downloading "NVIDIA nForce Chipset Package Driver V15.45(Chipset version 4.6.9.0) for Windows 64bit Vista/Windows 7 64bit(WHQL) (include LAN driver)"
and I installed it including the Networking control center for my mobo. Didn't seem to do anything.

I pinged google.com for 10 minutes and got these results:

Ping statistics for 209.58.225.104 -(google.com)
Packets: Sent = 148, Received = 46, Lost = 102 (68% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 32ms, Maximum = 35ms, Average = 32ms

I then pinged my router for about 12 minutes and these are the results:

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1
Packets: Sent = 169, Received = 28, Lost = 141 (83% loss),
Approximate round trip time in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximim 1ms, Average = 1ms

Hope this helps

With that kind of packet loss between your machine and your router / switch I would suspect a bad cable, or card, or switch port....but it may be a bad uninstall of a former software product like a firewall or internet security suite, that has some remnants left on the machine. Also I will assume you have tried another browser, just to eliminate an IE8 only problem

When I connected straight to the modem I used the existing cables that run through the wall and it worked wonderfully.
I also formated when I installed Windows 7 and I assumed that would take care of the left over... anything.

I am trying on both Internet Explorer 8 (64 bit + regular) and Crome

Did you try swapping a port on the switch, with one that one of the other windows 7 machines is using that is known to be a good port?

Yes, I tried every other port on the router and I tried 1 port on the switch we have, no dice. I just made a new cat 6 cable for the connection between the wall and my computer aswell tested with a linkmaster for any mistakes and I get solid green, no errors or poor connections throughout(from router to comp cable wise). No difference with connectivity :( I am bamboozled.

Yeah, I didn't suspect the cable after you said that when you connect direct to the ISP's device it worked fine.
So we need to determine, why your router is handling the connection from this Windows 7 machine, different than the other windows 7 machines that are connected to it, but first would you please try to
Reboot the problem Win7 machine into safemode with networking by tapping the f8 key as the machine boots and use your arrow keys to select safemode with networking from the boot menu

I tried booting into safe mode + networking too and had the same problems. Sorry for being so vague in my trouble shooting steps... been working on this for a few days and have forgotten all that I have tried. I'll boot into safemode now though if you'd like me to run some diagnostics or whatnot

just wanted to know how the ping statistic look, when in safemode with networking. If you still have the same level of packet loss and of course I am assuming that you've done the world famous network reboot several times by shutting down everything, turn off the router or deprive it of power, same with the isp's device, then bring up the isp device, wait till it's steady green, then the router, wait till it all the way up and well. Then and this may give us a little more information, just bring up the problem pc alone, no other nodes (computer's, network attached storage devices, or network printers) and see if the problem persists with no other network traffic to rule out any potential conflicts with other devices, names mac addresses, etc.

Rebooted modem+router and tried pinging google, still at 71% loss over about 10 minutes
at 73% loss when pinging router in safemode too.

Also I have tried going into the router and releasing/renewing IP from there without a physical restart. I also tried adding my computer's MAC address to the DHCP reserved IP list and that didn't do anything.

OK, it would seem that something is definitely screwy between your NIC and your router, because according to what you stated, if you by pass the router the network connection works as expected. So have you tried
1. a factory reset on the router, to purge any corrupt route table information
2. examine the mac address of your NIC, I have heard of a missing mac address causing similar problems
3. compare your mac address with the mac address of the router make sure they are both unique.
4. check your router for any type of ip filtering, mac filtering, etc. although I would suspect that would prevent it from working at all.
5. you are not running any type of third party software like zone alarm, comodo, or have not on this clean install, installed Norton's or McAfee's or anything like that, that may be firewalling.
6. make sure your ip addressing is unique but similar to other network nodes. subnet, default gateway, dns servers etc
7. ping another computer on the network....same packet loss??
8. install a different nic and if this one's embedded disable it in the MoBo bios, although if it works fine when connect to the router, then I don't know what good that would do.
9. did you ever use the "Clone MAC address" feature in your router from this computer?
Just grasping at straws now

I am not the admin, that would be my dad and he's out of town right now so I will have to wait untill he's home before I reset the router to defaults

and my ethernet jack is on the mobo and the MAC address I see from ipconfig /all is the same as the one my router is seeing for my computer, both unique as well from the MACs of other computers on the network.

as for firewall programs, I have none. and for now I have the Windows Firewall disabled
I have a unique IP but the subnet mask+DHCP/ default gateway are the same as my other computers
I pinged other computers and I have about the same loss ~70-80%

Never used the clone Mac address option

Try this and see if it helps
1. Right-click “command prompt” icon and select “Run as Administrator“. This should launch the command prompt with elevated permisions.
2. Run the following command to check the enabled offload tasks:
netsh int ip show offload
This is what I get->
Interface 1: Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
Interface 11: 192.168.1.69 (your ip address will be different)
ipv4 transmit checksum supported.
udp transmit checksum supported.
tcp transmit checksum supported.
tcp giant send offload supported.
ipv4 receive checksum supported.
udp receive checksum supported.
tcp receive checksum supported.
3. Run the following command to disable all Task offloads:
netsh int ip set global taskoffload=disabled (This should disable all the offloads)
4. Disable and Enable the NIC (IMPORTANT)
5. Check if all Offloads are disabled from an elevated command prompt.
netsh int ip show offload
If you've done this correctly the results shouldn't show any offloads
This is what I get->
Interface 1: Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
Interface 11: 192.168.1.69 (your ip address will be different
6. To reverse this simply
netsh int ip set global taskoffload=enabled (This should re-enable all the offloads)
7. Disable and Enable the NIC (IMPORTANT)

No access with the offloads disabled
No access after I disabled/enabled

I did notice however that my Interface 11 says "Local Area Connection" instead of an IP

Nothing as of now for antivirus, Didn't get any of that setup because first thing I tried after setting my themes was the internet.

I formatted on the W7 install and then tried to fix the problem I am having, then I couldn't get it to work even after looking on the web for solutions so I thought to try another isntall.. just in case and that didn't work either.

I am wondering if there isnt something wrong with my motherboard, I am going to try flashing my BIOS to a newer BIOS that is supposed to "Improve stability and performance of LAN function." and see what happens. Will wait on my dad for that since I don't wanna toast anything and will get back to you with the results

Having the latest bios version is always a good idea in general....but that still doesn't explain how the adapter works perfectly when you bypass the router and go directly to the isp provided modem.

Another thing you might want to take a look at;
Maybe your NIC and router are having a problem negotiating speed and duplex settings.
Try changing your card from auto to
100 full if that doesn't help
maybe try 100 half
see if that produces any changes in your ping responses.
You are performing all of these ping tests using ip address correct?

Yes I am using the IP for the router ping or the other computer ping, was using Google for the internet ping. How do I change the speed from auto to 100?

type ncpa.cpl into the search box and hit enter..on the resultant page select your nic and right click and choose properties on the resultant page click the "Configure" button under the "Connect Using" frame choose the advanced tab and look for something called Speed & Duplex should look something like this

Back