Windows 7 Internet connection acting extremly weird

honsbeek

Hello there ,

I am just getting use to a new ASUS board I got and Windows 7 ...

I am having weird problems with my internet connection. Although all drivers are up to
date including the BIOS and ethernet/ internet drivers , as it is of now let me try to explain the situation exactly.

Every time i restart windows , the internet icon in the system tray shows normal , as connected , but when I open IE my homepage doesn't load. All other web based application cannot connect either.

Now I have scratched my head over this and tried out some things, ,When I leave out the LAN cable from the computer and restart windows and wait till it's finished , the tray Icon naturally has the red X through it. Then when I put the LAN cable in (LAN cable comes straight from the wall no routers connected , yet ^^) and wait , and open IE , the damn thing works. However when I restart the whole thing starts over again , NO CONNECTION.

Another method I tried to make it work is when freshly restarted and no connection , I tried to reinstall the Realtek Internet Device drivers , and chose Recover option , when all done , the internet connection miraculously CAME BACK !!!! , but after restart ...
yet again , failed ...

This is all the information I have right now , please assist any way you can ..

Thank you

ASUS board is ASUS P5P43TD/USB3 iBORA

and I need to know if this is a software/OS problem or hardware

thanks again

Ralph

Every time i restart windows , the internet icon in the system tray shows normal , as connected , but when I open IE my homepage doesn't load.
A couple thoughts;
May be having an issue with DNS resolution which can be cause by some third party applications like iTunes, Adobe CS3 and CS4, installing the bonjour service with mdnsresponder. Right click taskbar, choose start task manager, at the top select the processes tab and see if you have mdnsresponder.exe running. If so post back and we'll find you a solution.
Also you may try to manually assign static values for your DNS servers,
type ncpa.cpl into the search or run dialog box and hit enter
right click the adapter and choose properties
select Internet Protocol Version 4 and click the properties button
near the bottom select the radio button that says "Use the following DNS server addresses
type in the following values
Preferred DNS server 8.8.8.8
Alternate DNS server 8.8.4.4
If none of that seems to help with your issue you may try adjusting the speed and duplex for your adapter, we've seen some issues with some Gig adapter having issues with the Auto Negotiation setting.
Type ncpa.cpl into the search or run dialog box hit enter
right click the adapter and choose properties
near the top of the properties dialog box under the text box containing your adapter name you should see a "Configure" button click that
On the resultant properties dialog box choose the advanced tab at the top
in the left column look for something that says Speed & Duplex, select that and
select a different setting from the drop down on the right
try 100 half and reboot
if that doesn't make an impact try 10 half and reboot
Keep us posted.

Trouble is on the right track... I'm thinking it's not getting a network address.

Control Panel -> Network and Sharing -> Adapter Settings ...

Click on TCPIPv4 ... check if DHCP is running.

Confirm that you're getting an address by

Win+R -> CMD -> ipconfig /all

The CMD window should tell you if you've got an IP address or not.
It will also tell you the Default Gateway and DNS servers needed to make it work.

Also... you say your LAN cable is direct from the wall... no modem?
Is this a college or university ?
Many schools use fixed IP addresses assigned to students. You may need to contact your registrar's office to get signed up.

@ Trouble , first of all thank you for trying to help out .

I know now that my problem is not HARDWARE based , because as it is of now , I restart each time and the internet connection fails each time. I have to recover the
internet drivers each time after start up with the MOBO software CD , hilarious right ?

I tried your suggestions , I do have Adobe Photoshop installed but could see a mention of mdnsresponder in my task manager.
Also tried the DNS Ip and same results , after restart , no connection.
In my Networking sectionn , I see Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and beneath that Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver and Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder any significance ?

I do see something like Speed and Duplex , trying it out as I type ...

@ Commontater : I checked and my DCHI is on , also when i so CMD.exe and ipconfig /all something happened , but the black command screen instantly disappears , so I couldn't read the results , what to do ? And yes , My LAN is direct from wall , 100m/s optical

What could be the significance of windows not connection to windows , but when I recover the driver after start-up it starts working right away ? ? ? ?

Thank you for now .

Ralph

honsbeek;166606@ Commontater : I checked and my DCHI is on said:
ipconfig /all[/B] something happened , but the black command screen instantly disappears , so I couldn't read the results , what to do ? And yes , My LAN is direct from wall , 100m/s optical

It's DHCP ... DHCI is something else altogether.

Follow the instructions ... Win+R -> CMD -> ipconfig /all ...
Win+r opens the run dialog
Type CMD and click ok
Now in the command box type ipconfig /all and hit enter

What could be the significance of windows not connection to windows , but when I recover the driver after start-up it starts working right away ? ? ? ?

Frankly this sounds like a hardware problem with your Network port... It's like it's not reporting itself to Plug and Play correctly and the drivers aren't being loaded.

Try this... Go to the manufacturer's site (if it's on your Motherboard the motherboard manufacturer, if it's a nic card, the card manufacturer) download a fresh set of drivers for your specific network adaptor... You can find out what it is from Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Network Adaptors.

Now go Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Network Adaptors - Find your network adaptor on the list, right click and select uninstall. Reboot the computer... now install the new drivers and reboot again...
Does it work?

Last edited:
As it is as of now , I have changed the Speed/Duplex setting to 100 half and it seems to have done the trick ! !!!

There is also the option for 1 gigabyte should I consider using that option as well ?

And after running IPCONFIG /all I see that DHCP is ON in the "Internet addaptor" section at the top , but there is a repeated mention of DHCP being "OFF" at something called "Tunnel " adapter ?

Ralph

As it is as of now , I have changed the Speed/Duplex setting to 100 half and it seems to have done the trick ! !!!

There is also the option for 1 gigabyte should I consider using that option as well ?

And after running IPCONFIG /all I see that DHCP is ON in the "Internet addaptor" section at the top , but there is a repeated mention of DHCP being "OFF" at something called "Tunnel " adapter ?

Ralph

In order to use the settings that refer to the Gig features of your particular network adapter, all the other components on your network would need to support Gigabit specs. Specifically, the switch ports (lan ports) on you router/switch. As well as the actual wire Cat 6 with appropriate terminal ends. If you have that type of equipment in place then of course you should probably take advantage of it, but usually that's not often the case.
As far as the DHCP info on the tunnel adapters, I wouldn't worry too much about that since you will probably also notice that in addition to the DHCP Off, you will probably see that the "media state ... media disconnected" information is also present, since you are probably not using these features.
In any event, I'm glad that you were able to resolve your issue. Thanks for updating your thread. Hope to continue to see you around on the forums.

I'm Sorry but since my last post , I had to restart , and what do you think happened ? Yet again the connection is clogged .

So it (Speed and Duplex) was set to 100 half , and the internet connection came back instantly , but after restart yet again no...

However , if I go into the Network adapter properties and change the Speed & Duplex at the spot to let's say a different setting ,

The adapter goes of line for a split second and re-initiates , and BANG internet is back .

Like other methods as re-installing the drivers at the spot momentarily disrupts and re-initiates the adapter as a result of changing something about it , seems to re-engage the internet connection , yet on a simply restart this seems to not work. So can I say the hardware is bad or is my OS bad ? When I restart I kept watching the Internet adapter Icon in the taskbar , and there is a split second flash where you can see the yellow exclamation mark , but quickly disappears again . How do I fix it ?

Trying out 10 half Speed Duplex settings now

Ralph

Last edited:
I just tried out 10mb half , but that significantly chokes off my downloading speeds , (utorrent, etc... ) 10mb half setting is clearly out of the question. When I put it back to 100mb half the speed sky rocketed ... now what ? ^^

I'm sorry too, I thought we might have accidently stumbled onto something there. If we can assume that after this problem occurs which seems to be, whenever you restart the computer and perhaps also from a cold boot, after you do whatever, to make the connection work, it remains until a subsequent reboot or cold startup of the computer. If that's correct then perhaps there is something (application, service, process) inhibiting the loading of the adapter driver. Have you tried rebooting the machine into safemode with networking, just to see if the problem is persistent. Perhaps give that a go and let us know the results, if the network is readily available consistently with this minimal boot option, then you might want to look at this article and see if you can track down the problem.
CleanBoot

Is this the driver version that you are currently using for your Network Interface Card?
Realtek RTL8112L LAN Driver V7.6.820.2009 for 32/64bit Windows 7.(WHQL)

@ Trouble ,

I think we are on some kind of RIGHT track here , I am currently in SAFE mode (Networking) and the option set SPPED DUPLEX to 100mb half , and this my second boot in safe mode and the internet connection is just fine . Although I did see that little flickr of a yellow exclamation mark through the tray icon , but am not concerned about that for now.

So there must be some conflicting factors when booting normally that prevents the internet adapter to fully function. Some software perhaps , or service ?

How to go about looking for them ? I always use certain programs like utorrent and emule but also msn messenger etc.

Please assist anyway you can to continue to search for the problem ..

And I think it's quite obvious that something is inhibiting the adapter and Windows 7 and or software is the cause.
I could of course just re-install the whole OS and work towards to problem step by step ... Because I can't remember
having this immediate problem with the internet adapter right after a fresh install... Your opinion ? ?

Ralph

Last edited:
@ Trouble ,

The driver version you mention is the version currently installed .

2009-08-20 (7.6.820.2009) Realtek ,

It was on the software CD and I believe the same driver is currently the most recent one ,
because I saw the same driver in this boards section at the ASUS site ...

Have you tried starting out with the Link to the Microsoft article regarding clean booting Windows 7 in my previous post. Generally with some time a patience you can work through using the methods described there.

@ Trouble ,

You wanna hear a funny story ?

I got behind the problem after doing step 1 for the clean boot , I disabled all my starup programs and rebooted , the adapter is working now ! each reboot ...

So now to find out that bitching program that is causing all these bald spots on my head ^^

Thanks for the chuckle, I have definitely been there.
When you find the specific one would you let us know, we would appreciate the update.
Thanks
Randy

Scratch my last addition , going one to step 2 clean boot , all start up programs are off and problem persists , this bitch is tough ...

I made a crude print screen , have a look if you'd like .

Now all my startup Programs and NON microsoft services are switched off ...

Sorry for the OS language , I have to life and breath Korean for a living...

Any off these seem out of place and are any notorious for screwing up internet connections ?

It's getting late for me , and going to have to try them one by one tomorrow ,

I never knew about these kind of possibilities within windows , I am more of a impatient

and direct , delete-and-try-again personality , thanks for the help ...

Ralph

Attachments

• major issue .jpg
    major issue .jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 347
Back