Windows Vista Internet Connection Sharing Mysteriously Doesn't Work

LoRes2101

Hi,

Here's a video of the problem:
YouTube - Windows 7 Laptop - Broken Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) & LAN IP Conflict

I had this working over winter break, but it magically just stopped working when I tried for the next time this summer.
It's a Windows 7 Laptop and as you can see I have ICS working and all that... Xbox is connected to laptop with an ethernet cable. I've also tried a CAT5 cable and it's the same problem.
I can surf the internet and do everything the same, it just wont let the Xbox connect and share the wireless now though. On the Xbox troubleshooting, it stops at the first checkpoint (can't connect to the computer network).

And as you can see in the video of my laptop screen, there seems to be an IP conflict on the LAN internet connection

I do have Internet Protocol Version 4&6 checked and enabled with DHCP.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately this isn't my area of expertise but I'll pm one of our forum users who may know..

I found this, might be part of the solution....

If you've set up your console to use automatic IP settings, it should automatically obtain them from your router or modem. If your console can't obtain the settings, it won't be able to connect.
Restart Your Network Equipment

In many cases, restarting your modem, router, and other equipment (also called "power-cycling") can fix the problem. This involves turning each piece of equipment off and back on in sequence. If you haven't done that already, give it a try now.
Link Removed due to 404 Error
If you've tried restarting your network equipment and it hasn't helped, continue on for more possible fixes.
Top Solutions

Try these solutions in order. If you give each one a shot and you still can't connect, Link Removed due to 404 Error. Note that they will ask you try the suggestions on this page first.
Solution 1: Check your router's DHCP settings

Your console may be set to automatically obtain an IP address from your router, but your router may not be set to automatically give them out. This setting is called DHCP, and it can usually be checked on your router's configuration web page, which is supplied by your router manufacturer.
Look for the DHCP settings on the router configuration page. When you find them:

• Make sure that DHCP is enabled, and
  • Make sure that the DHCP address range is big enough to include all devices on your network.
Solution 2: Check your router's MAC filtering settings

Routers can prevent devices from connecting by blocking their MAC address. To check this, first write down your console's MAC address, then check your router.
To get your console's MAC address:

1. In the Xbox Dashboard, go to My Xbox and open System Settings.
  2. Select Network Settings, Configure Network.
  3. On the Additional Settings tab, select Advanced Settings, then select Alternate MAC Address.
  4. Your MAC address is in one of two places:
    • If you're connected to your network with an Ethernet cable, write down the 12 letters and numbers under Wired Mac Address.
    • If you're connected to a wireless network, select Wireless Information, then write down the 12 letters and numbers after MAC Address.
After you have your console's MAC address, check your router's MAC filtering settings. Usually, you can get this information from your router configuration web page, which is supplied by your router manufacturer.
Look for the MAC filtering settings on the router configuration page. When you find them, locate your console's MAC address and, if it's blocked, unblock it. Then try to connect to Xbox LIVE again.
Solution 3: Switch to a manual (static) IP address

If your router isn't automatically assigning an IP address to your console, you can assign one manually. You can use a PC on the same network as your console to help determine the right address.
To obtain your PC's IP settings:

1. On your PC, click Start, Run, then type CMD and press Enter.
  2. At the command prompt, type IPCONFIG and press Enter.
  3. Find the section for your network connection (for example, "Local Area Connection" or "Wireless Network Connection"). Write down the numbers for the following:
    • IP Address (or IPv4 Address)
    • Subnet Mask
    • Default Gateway
  4. Think of a new IP address for your console and write it down. An easy way to pick an address is add 1 to the last number of your PC's IP address. For example, if your PC's IP address is 192.168.1.8, choose 192.168.1.9 for your console.

If the address is taken by another device on your network, just choose another IP address.
After you've checked your PC's IP settings, update your console settings.
To manually enter your IP settings:

1. In the Xbox Dashboard, go to My Xbox and open System Settings.
  2. Select Network Settings, Configure Network.
  3. On the Basic Settings tab, select IP Settings, then select Manual.
  4. Select IP Address, enter your chosen IP address, and select Done.
  5. Select Subnet Mask, enter the subnet mask you wrote down, and select Done.
  6. Select Gateway, enter the default gateway you wrote down, and select Done.
  7. Select Done to save your settings, then try to connect again.
Solution 4: Switch to a wired connection

If you're connecting wirelessly through an Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter, try a wired connection to make sure the problem isn't your wireless connection. You'll need an Ethernet cable for this step, and you may have to move your console close to your router or modem temporarily.
To connect your console with an Ethernet cable:

1. Unplug the USB connector for your adapter from the console. The adapter can remain attached to the console.
  2. Plug an Ethernet cable into the Ethernet port on the back of the console.
  3. Plug the other end of the cable into an open port on the router or modem.
  4. Try to connect to Xbox LIVE again.

Thanks for the reply. I'll test all of these out further although I'm not sure these solutions will fix it.

My setup:
[XBOX360]---{ethernet}--->[LAPTOP]+I.C.S.+{WiFi}>> >>[Wifi Modem]--internet
This setup was working perfectly before and I was the one who set it up as I'm the "network admin" at our house. I have the password to the modem so nobody else would have changed any settings, not that they would know how to or want to anyway.

*I've tried using the same setup to Internet Connection Share with my desktop which also uses WiFi; I've disabled WiFi on the desktop, connected the laptop with Wifi+ICS enabled via an ethernet cable, and attempted to connect the desktop but it is the same problem as the Xbox. 'There is an invalid LAN IP configuration' or the message from my video.
**I had my desktop at school too, and there I was connected to the internet via an ethernet cable.
I also had my Xbox and laptop at school, which were connected by ethernet cables too.

- I've tried Restarting the modem several times already, as well as the laptop and the Xbox.

- DHCP was enabled and automatic

==> I don't think it's a MAC Problem, because it's just not even connecting to my laptop. It's always "an unidentified network" and they're not really talking to eachother. I am just about to go down and try this anyway though.

==> Static IP -- We have a lot of computers that come on the network at different times and in my experience in the past, Static IPs caused a bit of trouble with everyone. I'll look at this though because the error message refers to an IP conflict, but I don't understand why the "Auto" settings would suddenly start creating said IP conflicts... I had this setup working just a few months prior.

- Wired Connection: I've tried using the wired connection on various things and it works when directly connected. My Xbox will work if it's directly connected to the modem but that's not a possible solution for me.

Just looked at the MAC, there are no blocks or anything. I tried configuring my xbox to bypass the firewalls and all too, but that didn't do anything either. (Then I removed that bypass.)

Also tried setting a distant static IP (My laptop is 192.168.0.16, so I set it to 192.168.0.28 which is far enough off to not possibly have a conflict.) (as well as filling in the proper default gateway and subnet mask) but that didn't help. My Xbox still complains that it's not able to receive an IP as it stops at the first Network checkpoint still.

Hmm, any other ideas?

Try connecting the xbox directly to the router to test the error is not just between the PC and Xbox.

I told you it would take a while to actually test :p But I finally was able to tonight. These are my results.
+------------------+
Visual pictures of my setup:
http://imgur.com/NN2V4.jpg
http://imgur.com/GlfUl.jpg
http://imgur.com/evwRu.jpg
*Blue ethernet is always from the wifimodem. I've tested all 3 cables variably to make sure they work though.*
+-----------------+
Key:

Xbox360 = X
PC = P
WifiModem = W
Laptop = L
Hub = H
ethernet = ---
+-----------------+
Connection // Does it connect online?
W---L = Working immediately
W---X = Working immediately
L---X (ics) = NOT WORKING

W---H---L = Working immediately
W---H---X = Working immediately
W---H---(L,X) = *NOT WORKING, until I reset the xbox in which case it is Working
W---H---(L,X), then reset the xbox as above, then remove the W (blue cable connection) so it becomes H---(L,H) using InternetConnectionSharing = Working **Until I turn off the xbox, the laptop, or in any way interrupt the connection.

Still looking for help... If this isn't clear or something let me know and I'll do whatever I can to make it easier to understand.

Type services.msc in the start menu and hit enter.

Check that Internet Connection Sharing service is set to automatic and currently enabled too.

I really need to fix this... Let me know if there's any more information I can post. Or if you can point me in the right direction of where else to go to get help.

Just by looking at your pictures, it seems you have a modem, a D-Link router, a pc and the game unit.

Why don't you just simply hook up the game unit and the pc to the D-Link and let that do routing, while forgetting ICS?

The TV and everything is in the basement. I just moved the xbox up here to try to test the connections for those pictures and that caused enough trouble. I'm also not able to move the modem because the computer it's attached to doesn't have wifi and moving it downstairs then doesn't have enough signal power to get everywhere we need it in the house.

Connect the modem to the D-Link.

Then the D-Link can provide access wireless or wired to the computer or XBox. Should be simple. If something is too far away, let it use wireless.

(Most D-Link routers also do wireless...does yours? I looked again and don't see an antenna.)

The modem is a wifi modem combo so I don't need additional hardware for wifi. The computer on this floor is the only one without a wireless card so it needs a direct connection to the modem. The d-link is only used when multiple ethernet connections are required from 1 stream.

The xbox is downstairs and thus too far away to have an ethernet cable; it needs to be wireless.

I hear ya. But again, IF the D-Link does wireless, this is simple.

IF....

Connect the Modem/Router to the input port of the D-Link. Connect the computer to one of the 4 output lan ports to the D-Link. Now computer has access.

Connect the XBOX to the D-Link wirelessly. Now the XBOX has access.

Not only that, your security is much greater this way as everything will be behind the Modem and not attached to it directly.

Back