Windows 10 Internet Connection?

Sonny

Excellent Member
Anybody having trouble with losing their internet connection when rebooting? I don't know if this is connected with Build 10074 but for the past couple of days I have been having to reboot my modem in order to reconnect. I just had the a new modem brought out to me from CenturyLink and they put me on a different line and gave boosted me from 5mg's to 7 two weeks ago. I don't think it is the provider or modem that is causing the problem. All my lights stay lit but when rebooting at times from doing updates or for whatever I might want to reboot I get limited internet access.

Last edited:
Hi

I've had that happen twice, but for the most part it's not been a problem.
Rebooting fixed it both times.

I've had other things that don't seem to load at startup sometimes, like my audio drivers.

A couple of days ago I got to the desktop but nothing was active, except my mouse, I couldn't click on anything and Control Alt Delete wouldn't open Task Manager.

I had to hard reboot, but everything was normal when it restarted.

Mike

Sometimes rebooting fixed it. But the last three times I had to unplug my modem and plug it back in to reset it. Not sure but have a feeling it has to do with something just not right in Windows 10. I could be wrong.

I am having intermittent trouble with 74, not too often, on boot. It may vary, but in my case I think I have pinned it down to this setting (connect automatically) which it keeps losing.

Capture.PNG

Hi Dave, I guess I should have mentioned I am on a desktop and hardwired. My laptop is wireless and the setting you just posted is what I have it set at. Have Windows 8.1 on my laptop.

Sonny, you don't mention whether you are working with a Wired or Wireless connection. But you do think it is your computer having the problem, and not the ISP?

A bad DNS setup might cause limited connection situation, when it happens running an ipconfig /all command might help pin down where the connection is being lost.

Dave has both Ethernet and WiFi, as do I. Most of the time my WiFi is disconnected, but I do see it occasionally pop on to do something. At one time it seemed if both were enabled they could conflict. You might try disabling one or the other Network Adapter to see if it helps.

Otherwise, I don't seem to be having any problems with 10074.. Next time, perhaps just try disabling and re-enabling the Network Adapter so it will set the IP addresses.

Yeah, if a simple reboot doesn't do it, uninstalling the wireless adapter in Device Manager and rebooting should reset everything back to the default Windows setup.

This has often fixed problems like this for me.

Hi Saltgrass, I am wired, I don't have wireless on my desktop. No I don't believe it is the provider. Two weeks ago they went and put me on another line because of congestion and also gave me a new modem/router. When connected have great speed. It just seems to happen after updating and sometimes just rebooting. Mostly after updating. It is no big deal, Kind of aggravating but nothing that is causing a major problem. As for build 10074 I plan on keeping it as I have very little to complain about. It seems to work good for no more than what I do. I forgot to mention they also came out and checked the lines from their end and the line going into my house. Everything as far as the lines go was good.

Here the results from doing an ipconfig all.

Capture.PNG

I also forgot to mention that I have not had a problem with my laptop disconnecting. Just the desktop with Windows 10.

Last edited:
Everything looks OK on the listing. If it was taken while you were experiencing the problem, maybe it is the ISP. The fact your laptop still seems to work would discount the ISP possibly.

I don't show a DNS Suffix Search List. It is probably provided by the ISP unless you entered something.

Also, both of my installs are using an Intel I217/218-V network adapter. So if the Realtek one was having a problem, I would not see it.

I do have a realtek network adapter. The reason I thought it might be Windows 10 is because that is what I am running on my desktop. The laptop is running Windows 8.1. No problem with the laptop. The DNS suffix list is provided by the ISP.

Well, my computer just awaked from sleep with the keyboard not working. LOL
I had to reboot to get it to work again.

If you haven't tried it I would try uninstalling the network adapter and rebooting, at least it will get everything to square one..

One thing that Windows is normally really good at it setting up network connections, it's one of the first things it does. even before the install is complete it gets online and starts downloading updates.

Thanks Mike, I never thought about that. I will give it a try the next time it does it.

Anybody having trouble with losing their internet connection when rebooting? I don't know if this is connected with Build 10074 but for the past couple of days I have been having to reboot my modem in order to reconnect. I just had the a new modem brought out to me from CenturyLink and they put me on a different line and gave boosted me from 5mg's to 7 two weeks ago. I don't think it is the provider or modem that is causing the problem. All my lights stay lit but when rebooting at times from doing updates or for whatever I might want to reboot I get limited internet access.
Yes, I have seen this too in a previous build, see: http://windowsforum.com/threads/restart-after-boot-needed.205358/
It was caused by some adapter settings and the parameter 'connect automatically' not being passed properly from the network center. Make sure that only one network in reach auto connects. The adapter parameter you also may have to change is the default channel.
This only applies to WiFi connections, not to LAN connections.

Last edited:
Hi Mike, Ok I uninstalled and rebooted. No luck. I also did another ipconfig /all command and got totally different results this time. Not really sure what is going on. I finally ended up resetting the modem again.

Capture.PNG

Once I reset the modem/router everything is back to normal. It may be my provider after all. I will give them another call and see what they say.

I called CenturyLink and everything is ok on their end. They have no idea of why it is happening. All my lights on the modem/router are green like they should be. I do have an Ooma phone hooked up to my modem/router but have had that for a couple of years now. I wonder if that may be giving me some problems. If it happens again I will disconnect the phone and see what happens.

I called CenturyLink and everything is ok on their end. They have no idea of why it is happening. All my lights on the modem/router are green like they should be. I do have an Ooma phone hooked up to my modem/router but have had that for a couple of years now. I wonder if that may be giving me some problems. If it happens again I will disconnect the phone and see what happens.
Google on 169.254 and a lot of possibilities show up, maybe the following link helps? http://www.pctechbytes.com/networking/169-254-address/

Hope you can find more...

Last edited:
The 169 address is when the PC cannot get an IP from the modem/router. It plugs this in so there is something there. You mentioned they gave you a new modem/router.
Since the other device works but is wireless it may not be having and issue, there is a chance that the new modem/router is having a problem, but only on the wired side.

Thanks, I do have the other old modem, I can hook it up and see what the results are with it. It was working when they gave me the new modem so it may be ok. I will try it and see what happens.

Back