Windows 10 Internet disconnects

Michael Cullis

Honorable Member
A couple of days ago my Internect connection began behaving strangely. At one point I had a connection on my computer but no connection on my smart TV or iPad. After some fiddling I found I had no connection on my computer but connection on the TV and iPad. This "fiddling" involved relocating ethernet cables to different ports, disconnecting and reconnecting my router, Optus modem and NBN modem. Several times i managed to get connection on everything, only to find the internet dropping out completely after a few hours. The Windows 10 troubleshooter produced an error message "Your DNS Server may not be available". I have managed to get things back to normal by doing a system restore back to a time before the problems began. Does this suggest that the problem is not related to hardware and connections but rather settings on the computer? Could it be a Windows 10 update which is causing the problem?

Very likely an ISP problem.
I hope not. My ISP has suspended its Help desk due to the pandemic. I will see if I cancontact them by their website. My current theory is that the problem is caused by a Windows 10 update. Each morning I wake to find that I have no internet connection. I do a system restore and the internet is once again available. I suspect that overnight Windows reinstalls the offending update. I will see whether I can stop Windows from automatically installing updates.

If it were just the computer having issues I'd be more inclined to this it could possibly be due to a Windows update, but since you had issues with other types of devices I would say either a issue with the ISP, router or modem. Some of these can just be intermittent and others can be a good indication of hardware failing. Failing modems and routers is not that uncommon and can be difficult to diagnose.

I am experimenting. I have switched off Windows Updates. If my theory is correct I will find that the internet is still connected tomorrow morning. If it's not I will have to look at the router, which is pretty old. I don't know how I'll tell if the problem is with the router. I should mention that while the internet goes down on the computer, my smart TV and iPad still have a connection via wifi from the router.

I am seeing a similar pattern with Spectrum.
We seldom lose the TV signal but do lose Internet and telephone at odd intervals. And my wife does not experience as bad a connection, nor loss of Internet signal, with her iMac and AT&T iPhone as I do with my win10 machine and Verizon Android phone.
We are on the fringe of a cell tower but Spectrum comes to the house via Cable.
I really don't think turning off windows update will effect a solution.
What router do you have? Have you looked to see if yours has a service log? That might give you a clue if your ISP signal has become intermittent.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Lost the internet service at least 3 times today. Spectrum/Charter, what a pain.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Back