Internet Explorer 9 RC Now Live

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
IE 9 Download

Internet Explorer 9 is now released. Internet Explorer 9 - Microsoft

Internet Explorer 9 is Microsoft's newest entry to the browser market. Making use of HTML5 and hardware acceleration support, IE 9 is ready to compete with Firefox 4 and Chrome 10/11.

Last edited by a moderator:
Microsoft Releases Internet Explorer 9 Platform Preview 2 for Developers

Internet Explorer 9 is shaping out to be quite a significant jump over its current incarnation i.e. Internet Explorer 8. The first platform preview of IE9, which was released back in March at MIX10 had significant performance increase over IE8. The new IE9 Preview 2 has even more improvements. The first platform preview of IE9 scored an impressive 55 out of 100 on Acid3 test. This number has now reached 68. InternetExplorer9.jpg
This new build also improves JavaScript and HTML5 performance. The full hardware acceleration for HTML5 in IE9 takes the workload off your computer’s processor

, throwing the extra visual bits to the graphics chipset to handle, and hence increasing performance.

InternetExplorer9Preview2.jpg

We have no hints about when the public beta of Internet Explorer 9 will be available.The platform

preview is showing impressive results with every new build. We hope to see this trend continue.
You can try out IE9 Platform Preview now and take it for a test drive to see the improvements for yourself.
Link Removed due to 404 Error Internet Explorer 9 Platform Preview 2

Last edited:
RE: IE 9 available for test drive

Shame it's only the platform and not the full program. I would be interested to see what the new interface looks like. But then again, it is IE, so I wouldn't bet on too much...

IE 9 Update

Microsoft has released a new Link Removed due to 404 Error, which is the third alpha build of IE9 designed primarily for developer feedback purposes. Note that the IE9 Preview can be installed alongside IE8 without replacing it.

Re: IE 9 available for test drive

The Platform Preview 3 was also released some time ago.. If I remember correctly, it scores 83/100 on the Acid3 test.

Download:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Re: IE 9 Update

Microsoft is readying a beta of its Internet Explorer (IE) 9 browser that it will roll out in September, according to Microsoft Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner.

Turner shared the beta date during his morning keynote at the annual Microsoft Financial Analyst Meeting (FAM) on July 29.

According to several recent leaks, Microsoft had been targeting August as its beta delivery target for IE 9. This beta is expected to be public (as the test previews have been), and to feature more of the user interface elements.

On July 29, Neowin.net reposted some screen shots from what they believe to be a newly leaked test build of IE 9. That build includes a new download manager, but doesn’t yet feature the new user interface: http://www.neowin.net/news/internet-explorer-9-build-reveals-new-download-manager

Microsoft has been making good on its promise to deliver new technology preview builds of IE 9 every eight weeks. The first IE 9 developer preview went live in mid-March. The latest IE 9 test build was released in June.

The IE 9 builds Microsoft has released so far have been developer-targeted. They include the plumbing, specifically the new Microsoft JavaScript engine (which is codenamed “Chakra”) and the new graphics subsystem, coupled with a home page full of test sites. There’s no back button and no built-in security. It’s basically the IE 9 rendering engine and early tools.

Microsoft officials have not shared a target release-to-Web date for the final version of IE9, but it is expected by many Microsoft watchers in 2011.

I’ve asked Microsoft officials if they’re ready to share any more details about IE 9. If I get any more, I’ll update this post.

Ref: Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 beta due in September | ZDNet

MS Confirms: Internet Explorer 9 Beta Due Next Month

Microsoft has confirmed the beta edition of Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) will be available in September. The announcement comes alongside leaked screenshots of the new browser.

Rumors have pegged the beta release for IE9 in September 2, 2010. Kevin Turner, who is in charge of Microsoft's day-to-day operations, wasn't that specific in describing the new Internet Explorer, but it's the first time Microsoft has publicly named the month.

The revelation came during a meeting with financial analysts, and there's some speculation Turner used it as an opportunity to hype Microsoft's future outlook. More Internet Explorer users means more people are likely to use the default Bing search engine, which will mean higher revenues for Microsoft via search-based advertising.

Internet Explorer 9 Final Release 2011, Likely

Exactly when the finished edition of Internet Explorer 9 will be released isn't yet confirmed, though based on previous releases it would most likely be around September of next year.

As a free product, Microsoft isn't under much pressure to meet deadlines for a browser, such as the start of a financial year or the holiday shopping season. (Source: computerworld.com)
No Internet Explorer 9 for Windows XP Users

Gaining a large audience for IE9 may be a challenge because it won't be available for Windows XP, an operating system (OS) used by two-thirds of Windows customers. Even after the new browser is finished, chances are XP will still be the choice of most PC users.

New IE9 Features Reminiscent of Rival Browsers

Meanwhile, a Chinese website has published what it claims to be screenshots from a leaked edition of the browser. However, there's little in the screenshots to give a clear indication as to their legitimacy. (Source:cnbeta.com)

If the images and description are genuine, user experience changes will be reminiscent of those made by rival browsers. The screenshots show a page titled "Your most popular sites" with a series of thumbnail images, similar to the default starting page on Google's Chrome browser.

There's also a more detailed window for downloading single or multiple files, which resembles that of both Chrome and Mozilla's Firefox.

A third feature mentioned in the leak report is the ability to install browser "add-ons" (also known as plug-in features) and begin using them immediately without the need to restart Internet Explorer.

Source: http://www.infopackets.com/news/internet/2010/20100804_ms_confirms_internet_explorer_9_beta_due_next_month.htm

Last edited:
Slow Development Compared to Browsers on an Equal Footing

Every time I see notices about upgrades to Internet Explorer, I am constantly wondering: "What is taking so long?". Since the release of IE8, we have seen Firefox and Chrome go through substantial development, and that development has gone public with literally no bugs that effect the use of the browser in a major way. Subsequently, any time there is a major bug that may require a patch, we see Mozilla or Google quickly launch an automated update through the browser's interface, that is nearly seem-less and never has an effect on the person. Simply fire up Firefox or Chrome, and the update has gone through.

Why so slow in development? To me it looks like Microsoft takes the same QA (Quality Assurance) approach with IE that they do with their other commercial products. The problem here, though, is that IE is free, and this is probably why they have lost a lot of market share. We have seldom seen any updates to IE8 other than security patches through Windows Update, and this is very unfortunate. It has compelled a lot of people to move to Firefox. The promise of faster browsing and a more secure interface is alluring to people, and that is mostly due to the frequent updates made to Firefox.

Browser Statistics gives a good indication of exactly what is going on in the browser wars. Firefox and Chrome have a strong foothold, mostly due to the auto-updating features, while IE is spread around many different versions. This MUST be leading to a great deal of confusion and annoyance with many IE users, who may not even be aware that they are using an old version, or are too tasked to concern themselves with updating.

I'm still waiting for an updated UI. I think it's time IE meets the infamous office ribbon bar that has accompanied so many of Microsoft's recent products.
Without something nicer, I'll likely stick to Chrome except when I need some real powerhouse browsing :) ;)

Something like these fake screens for the IE 7 days
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:

Microsoft has released a new Internet Explorer 9 Preview 4, which is the fourth and final alpha build of IE9 designed primarily for developer feedback purposes. The first beta build of IE9 is due in September.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I still have my T-shirt which was given out to the first downloaders on Aug. 13th, 1996 for version 3.0

I was called Midnight Madness being released at midnight.:)

Operating system hegemon, Microsoft Corp. has revealed that the first beta version of its upcoming Internet Explorer 9 browser will be introduced on September 15, through the 'Beauty of the Web' event in San Francisco.

According to the Redmond company, interest for IE9 has been very high, with over 2.5 million downloads being recorder for the four preview versions released to date. IE9 comes with support for multiple HTML5 components including CSS3, Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG), XHTML parsing, and the video and audio tags, for hardware-accelerated graphics and text, and features a new JavaScript engine.

Ref: Internet Explorer 9 beta set for September 15 debut | TechConnect Magazine

Is this Microsoft's new Internet Explorer 9 interface?

Microsoft has delivered four developer previews of Internet Explorer (IE) 9 so far, but has yet to show off the new interface for its next-generation browser. That is expected to happen on September 15, during Microsoft’s beta launch event in San Francisco.

But maybe users won’t have to wait until then to get a glimpse of what’s coming. Microsoft Russia’s press site, on August 25, Link Removed due to 404 Error. (The site has since pulled their post, but I grabbed the information and screen shot in the nick of time.)

The screen shot (above) shows a navigation bar and fewer controls. There’s a back button, a combined URL - search box at the top. And that’s pretty much it. I don’t see menu items like “Favorites” or “Suggested Sites” or “Get More Add-Ons” (but maybe they’re still in there, somehow).

I ran the text of the Russian site’s IE 9 posting through the Bing Translator. Other than turning a couple of the references from IE 9 to IE 8 (and IE 7, in one case), Bing did a good job.

The Microsoft Russia site said there will be a new, simplified navigation bar with IE 9 that will leave “more room for the (Web) site itself.” There will be some navigation tools for commonly used functions — things like a back button and a combined address/search bar. But the numerous menu items in older versions of IE have “been consolidated into one,” the site said. “Now the user sees only what you need to navigate.”

The Russian Microsoft site said that there will be provisions for “recognized,” or “protected,” sites which will allow users to go straight from the Windows taskbar to these sites without having to open IE first. In other words, recognized, protected sites will be treated more like traditional Windows applications.

Bing translated the instructions for doing this as “(C)lick the pins in the address bar or click the site in a new tab and drag it to the taskbar. That’s all. If the site is pinned, it displays an icon that is separate from the Internet Explorer. Now from the website you are just one click.”

(It sounds like this might be a feature accessible by Windows 7 users only, though I am not sure.)
The Russian site also mentioned “tear-off tabs” — a capability that will build on Windows’s Aero Snap feature. Snap allows users to more easily look at two pages, side-by-side by “snapping” them to the sides of their PC screen. Firefox and Safari both already include tear-off tabs, allowing users to select tabbed items and turn them into separate windows.

Here’s the description of the tear-off tabs from the Russian site, as translated by Bing:
“Often a task must open several Web pages or screens. Advanced tabs in combination with Windows Aero Snap is a quick way to display two or two-page spread. To do this, simply drag the page in different screen and will appear next to each other. Reproduction of content sites and video are not violated.”

I’ve asked Microsoft for comment on the information posted and removed from the Microsoft Russia site. I will add any comments I get to this post. Update: Not very useful, but here’s the official statement, from a Microsoft spokesperson: “Microsoft is encouraged by the early enthusiasm around Internet Explorer 9; we have nothing further to share about Internet Explorer 9 at this time.”

Microsoft officials first discussed plans for IE 9 in March 2010. IE 9 will be more compliant with the emerging HTML5, CSS3 and SVG2 standards and will include a new JavaScript engine (code-named “Chakra”). It will take advantage of PC hardware to accelerate graphics performance. IE 9 will work on Vista and Windows 7, but not Windows XP.

Company officials have not been willing to pinpoint a due-date target for IE 9, but many of us company watchers are thinking it will be in 2011

What do you think of the direction Microsoft may be taking — if this information is accurate — with the user interface for IE 9?

Source: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/is-this-microsofts-new-internet-explorer-9-interface/7213

Internet Explorer 9 makes cameo appearance on Microsoft Russia site.

10x0825jb1234wsiexp.png

Microsoft's gotten a little carried away with its Internet Explorer 9 excitement and posted an early screenshot of the browser up on its Russian site. The post and the image have since been diligently pulled, but not before Mary-Jo Foley managed to snag the pictorial evidence. What's new to see? A resoundingly minimal interface, that's what. The Chrome comparisons should be raining down thick and heavy if this snapshot is anything to go by, as Microsoft has done a fine job of ridding its browser from pesky menus, consolidated its controls into a few icons in the top right, and combined the search and address bars into one. Of course, given the earlier leak of screenshots, those menus could still just be hiding somewhere nearby, ready to spring at us. Another similarity to Chrome (and Firefox and Safari) is the new ability to "tear off" tabs from one window and reposition them independently. We'll see how closely the Beta aligns to what we see here when it debuts for real on September. 15.

Ref: Internet Explorer 9 makes cameo appearance on Microsoft Russia site -- Engadget

Re: Is this Microsoft's new Internet Explorer 9 interface?

It's definitely in the direction that the other browsers are going, so I would not be surprised. I do not know why there is so much secrecy surrounding this browser. Microsoft has always released their best products when they have developed them somewhat openly with the public and allowed for feedback. However, its possible the next version will be make or break for MS in this regard. It looks like Firefox and Chrome are shooting up as far as who is using what. My hope for IE9: A auto-update feature, built into the browser, please?

Microsoft is starting to advertise Internet Explorer 9 but there is now a leaked video of the browser demoing the user interface and speed. Remember, it's an old, internal build of Internet Explorer 9 which was given to employees to test.

Ref: Leaked video of old Internet Explorer 9

Don't forget people that Monday next week is launch day of the IE9 Beta. Check back here for download links and news..

Last edited by a moderator:

Some new pages have been added to the trial which can be found here: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Back
Top Bottom