Windows Vista Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working

Fred44

I've been getting this error message whenever I try to delete a website or folder from my Favorites.
I can click close program and my homepage comes back up. Check online for a solution does nothing. I looked at the details and realized I was running IE 7.0.6001.1800 so I downloaded IE 8, but the problem persists. Right now the only way I can make it happen is by trying to delete something in my Favorites folder, but it has just come up randomly a few times. I googled "Internet Explorer has stopped working" and got lots of pages where other users are having the same problem, suggesting various fixes, but none has worked for me so far. Hope I didn't make a mistake by downloading IE8!! Please help.
Fred

I solved the problem by turning off protected mode. Is this a good idea? I have the McAfee firewall and windows firewall.

Hi Fred--- I still have IE7. Microsoft is aware of the freezing problem and has made some improvements. I freeze occasionally now and Microsoft says it is because of browsers add ons. )I don't understand why these add ons are such a problem because they have been with me a very long time....) You might try to disable all Tool bar and Browser Helper Add on (Tool>Internet Options-Advanced Tab, Uncheck "Enable Third- Party Browser Extensions..) I've been reading that IE8 Beta had the same Add on Problem, this is the solution they gave back in August. Maybe it'll help ?

Celestra,

Thanks. I'll try your suggestion. Meanwhile, I've found another solution, althogh I don't know how safe it is. Someone recommended disabling the protected mode and that worked. Now I can delete files and folders from my favorites. I have my McAfee firewall up so I hope that's enough protection. I did not realize that IE8 was a beta version or I'd have never downloaded it, though I had the same problem with the old version. OH WELL!!

Fred

Celestra,

Tried the 'Uncheck Enable third Party Browser Extensions" and IE still crashed. then I turned off the protected mode and no more crashes so far. as I said, my biggest issue was not being able to delete items in "Favorites". Once Protected Mode is off, I can delete at will. If you have further advice it will be greatly appreciated. Meanwhile can someone tell me what are the risks of running with Protected Mode off?

I'm sorry, the more I look- the more it looks like an engineering problem. You might want to turn Protected Mode Back On-- take a look at this: Feedback: window.alert doesn't work in modeless windows using Vista with protected mode OFF

I think you might try when your "Favorites Freeze While Deleting." Hit the "Internet Explorer Window" on the "Task Bar at the bottom", right click to bring up "Close Alt+F4" Hit that, and wait for Windows to post "Internet Has Stopped Responding, Do You Wish To Close?" Say "Yes". Do You Wish To Forward A Report To Microsoft? Say "Yes". They may come up with a solution...

Celestra,

Tried the 'Uncheck Enable third Party Browser Extensions\" and IE still crashed. then I turned off the protected mode and no more crashes so far. as I said, my biggest issue was not being able to delete items in \"Favorites\". Once Protected Mode is off, I can delete at will. If you have further advice it will be greatly appreciated. Meanwhile can someone tell me what are the risks of running with Protected Mode off?

Hi Fred,

you can download the full version of IE8 here: http://winvistaforums.com/windows-vista-multimedia/16153-ie8-released-today.html

I'd also turn your protected mode back on as your a little unprotected against nasty scripts ect. Why you can't delete anything from the favourites menu I'm unsure although it may have something to do with you running two firewalls. These are probably conflicting with each other and as long as you keep your system constantly updated then the default firewall is quite adequate.

Kemical and Celestra,

Just to let you know, the problem seems to be solved for now. I got a reply from another forum that suggested first running IE in safe mode (in "Run" type iexplore -extoff). I was told that if I could run my Favorites and perform all right-click actions (Rename, Send To, Delete, etc.), then the problem was an add-on. When I ran IE in safe mode the problem went away, so I went to Tools>Internet Options>Programs>Manage Add-ons, which produced a pretty large list. I was planning on disabling them one by one to see which was causing the problem. The first one on the list was Adobe PDF Link Helper, which I disabled, closed IE reopened and the problem was solved. For now IE is running without any problems (BTW, I did a system restore and got back IE7). I'm now able to run IE in Protected Mode. Celestra, did you say you were having the same problem? If so, give this a try...it worked like a charm for me.

Fred

Kemical and Celestra,

Just to let you know, the problem seems to be solved for now. I got a reply from another forum that suggested first running IE in safe mode (in "Run" type iexplore -extoff). I was told that if I could run my Favorites and perform all right-click actions (Rename, Send To, Delete, etc.), then the problem was an add-on. When I ran IE in safe mode the problem went away, so I went to Tools>Internet Options>Programs>Manage Add-ons, which produced a pretty large list. I was planning on disabling them one by one to see which was causing the problem. The first one on the list was Adobe PDF Link Helper, which I disabled, closed IE reopened and the problem was solved. For now IE is running without any problems (BTW, I did a system restore and got back IE7). I'm now able to run IE in Protected Mode. Celestra, did you say you were having the same problem? If so, give this a try...it worked like a charm for me.

Fred
Don't you think the Adobe PDF Link Helper is important? Maybe you won't function reading PDF Files as well... Am giving it a try.

Just went to a website containing a PDF document and Adobe Reader accessed the file and I was able to read it in PDF form. When I downloaded PDF Reader there were two other files that came with it. I don't remember the names of the files, but I believe one was something like "PDF Web". I uninstalled both of those , because all I was interested in was PDF reader and figured the others were some sort of adware. I think PDF Web allows one to view web pages as PDF files (not sure though). At any rate, PDF works on and offline and IE has stopped crashing for now. Do you have this add-on and if so have you tried disabling it? Let me know. Interesting thing is, the add-on is still there in my wife's user account. I don't think she's had any issues with web browsing and I think she was running on Protected Mode as well. Since my account is the administrator account it was effecting it in a different way.

Just went to a website containing a PDF document and Adobe Reader accessed the file and I was able to read it in PDF form. When I downloaded PDF Reader there were two other files that came with it. I don't remember the names of the files, but I believe one was something like "PDF Web". I uninstalled both of those , because all I was interested in was PDF reader and figured the others were some sort of adware. I think PDF Web allows one to view web pages as PDF files (not sure though). At any rate, PDF works on and offline and IE has stopped crashing for now. Do you have this add-on and if so have you tried disabling it? Let me know. Interesting thing is, the add-on is still there in my wife's user account. I don't think she's had any issues with web browsing and I think she was running on Protected Mode as well. Since my account is the administrator account it was effecting it in a different way.

I've disabled the "PDF Helper". Now way of telling if it has made any difference. I have about 27 add-ons. Three disabled. No- don't have ""PDF Web" (There are a few add-ons of interest 1) Research 2) Java TM Plug In 2 SSV Helper Not Verified 3) Blog This In Window Live Writer 4) Send To One Note. I have no information on these.....)

I

The "Adobe PDF Link Helper" is the one I disabled. Just happened to be at the top of the list. Haven't had a crash since. If disabling the PDF doesn't, try disabling them one by one. First you need to make sure it's an add-on issue. This can be done by typing iexplore -extoff in "Run". This runs IE in safe mode. If this resolves the problem then, as I understand it, you have an add-on issue. Is your problem intermittant crashes or does some action cause them? Mine crashed every time I right-clicked on any file or folder in my "Favorites" folder, so it was easier to resolve than an intermittant problem.

The "Adobe PDF Link Helper" is the one I disabled. Just happened to be at the top of the list. Haven't had a crash since. If disabling the PDF doesn't, try disabling them one by one. First you need to make sure it's an add-on issue. This can be done by typing iexplore -extoff in "Run". This runs IE in safe mode. If this resolves the problem then, as I understand it, you have an add-on issue. Is your problem intermittant crashes or does some action cause them? Mine crashed every time I right-clicked on any file or folder in my "Favorites" folder, so it was easier to resolve than an intermittant problem.

Nothing has crashed on the Internet for me lately. I stopped holding on to my older "Messenger" and put in the very latest release. I've had occasional serious crashes in my e-mail also-- e-mail is recent. (I wish they'd let people keep products they like). This new "Messenger" boots better................ ( I heard somewhere that this release is the very last of the Internet Explorers --IE8) Thanks.... P.S. I my problem is flash related, I've noticed it happened around video.

Back