Windows 7 Internet Explorer randomly pops up

airsmith

I have a Dell 1747 laptop running Windows 7. All of a sudden Internet Explorer randomly pops up on my screen a half a dozen times a day. This happens even when I am not online.

Suggestions

I have a Dell 1747 laptop running Windows 7. All of a sudden Internet Explorer randomly pops up on my screen a half a dozen times a day. This happens even when I am not online.

What website is it loading ? I think you have a bug. Run MSCONFIG and uncheck the stuf that is loading at startup. Scan for viruses and download and run a program called Autostart to see what BHO's you have installed. (Browser Helper Objects)

Thank you for thr feedback

I will make note of the website next time it happens. I do recall "javascript" in the address. Where do I get AutoStart?

*sigh*
Here is a link to Autoruns, it's free and standalone, no install required.

Autoruns for Windows

Just unzip and place the resulting folder anywhere you want on your HDD and create a shortcut
to autoruns .exe to your desktop.
The Internet Explorer tab shows the BHO's.

Download HijackThis (the 2.0.2 version executable) and run it, it's standalone also.

HijackThis - Trend Micro USA

Save the scan to logfile and copy the results to the open field at this website and click analyze.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

This site will give you a quick idea what baddie(s) may be there.

Update: At this time the analyze feature at this site hijackthis.de is disabled due to high service load.
It should be available later.

See the HijackThis forum with help dealing with baddies.

BleepingComputer.com -> HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal

Last edited:
Thank you for all the help

*sigh*
Here is a link to Autoruns, it's free and standalone, no install required.

Autoruns for Windows

Just unzip and place the resulting folder anywhere you want on your HDD and create a shortcut
to autoruns .exe to your desktop.
The Internet Explorer tab shows the BHO's.

Download HijackThis (the 2.0.2 version executable) and run it, it's standalone also.

HijackThis - Trend Micro USA

Save the scan to logfile and copy the results to the open field at this website and click analyze.

HijackThis Logfileauswertung

This site will give you a quick idea what baddie(s) may be there.

Update: At this time the analyze feature at this site hijackthis.de is disabled due to high service load.
It should be available later.

See the HijackThis forum with help dealing with baddies.

BleepingComputer.com -> HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal

It was a trojan... Got a Malware removal tool and it found a half a dozen or so and removed them...

Glad you fixed it!
Just remember that the only sure way to remove an infection either virus or other
malware is to backup your data and format and reinstall Win 7.
If you do this make a restore image using a free tool like Clonezilla after you finish installing and customizing.
Keep the image in a safe place off disk in case something like this happens again.

All you would have to do then is restore the image to be back where you were before disaster struck.

Back
Top Bottom