Windows 7 IPV4 properties

junglewolf

Under my Ipv4 properties in my lan adapter I cannot change my dns settings to obtain DNS server address automatically.Every time I do it reverts back to use the following dns server address.Is there anyway to correct this?I think this may be preventing me from accessing my security cameras from a remote computer.

You can only have the dns server address assigned automatically if you have opted for the IP address to be assigned. If you have defined a manual IP address then dns must also be manual.

In the properties of IPv4, click the "Advanced" button near bottom right.
Select the DNS tab from the tab menu along the top
Edit out (select and click remove) any entries there.
There may also be registry entries here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces-> Expand that parent key
there will be a number of subkeys under that reflecting individual adapters (interfaces) installed select them one by one and examine the NameServer value in the right (data) pane for entries for hard coded DNS server addresses.
You can double click to modify / remove the unwanted data values.
Using the Windows Registry Editor can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to re-install Windows to correct them. It cannot be guaranteed that any problems resulting from the use of the Windows Registry Editor can be solved. If you choose to edit the Windows Registry please understand that you do so at your own risk so unless you feel fairly comfortable and confident you should probably not use the Editor. Changes made to the Windows Registry can take effect immediately and those that do not will take effect following the next reboot of your computer, and a current backup is not automatically made for you....So manually create a system restore point, backup the registry and export the key you are editing for safe keeping before doing so.
As a last resort try resetting the TCP/IP stack.
From an elevated command prompt type
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
reboot

Regards
Randy

I did everything you suggested and it reverts back to the way it was.When i did the comand prompt and typed in netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and rebooted I got a redbox error message but it disappeared so fast I didn't have time to read it,Thanks...Bob

I guess as a last, last resort, you might try removing the problem adapter from device manager and rebooting the system. I would have thought that rebuilding the TCP/IP stack would have almost done the equivalent. Might be worth trying.
Keep us posted.

If that also fails to resolve your issue then I can only assume that you are running some third party software, scripts or batch files that may be setting the DNS to static values. This may be intentional or it could possibly be a malware infection resulting in a DNS hijack.
If you think that there might be a possible infection grab a blank CD and this program Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta | Microsoft Connect get the correct version for your system architecture (32 or 64bit)
Double click the program and it will build a bootable CD for you, which will allow you to boot your computer independent of the operating system and perform a FULL system scan.

Back