Windows 8 IPv6 banned?

denny1t

I have a Toshiba Satelite C75D-B running Windows 8.1.. Basically my computer has stopped using IPv6. It will not work on ANY wifi network I try. I suspect it is the computer and not the networks.. When I open up the wifi status is says IPv6 Connectivity: No Internet Access. I have tried EVERYTHING that I found on the web to solve the problem. None worked.. I did the full netsh winsock and int commands run cmd as admin, when I did the full netsh int command it said OK! for all of them then said
Resetting , failed
Access is Denied.
I ran as admin...
Please help... :(
It's really annoying to have to keep disconnecting and reconnecting to the wifi to use the internet.

Hi Why do you think You need IPv6? This is my understanding. You may get more replies from members latter!;)
If you are connected and you have access to the internet, then just ignore it. IPv6 is not common yet. Most ISPs use only IPv4
Check to see if your ISP supports IPv6 yet, some do and some don't. IPv4 should work for any ISP though.
Fix network connection issues - Windows Help

Last edited:
ok thanks for the reply. I've done all of those... So why is it disconnecting me from the internet every 2 minutes if it's not IPv6 ? I used to have IPv6 and now I cant get it on any wifi network

Hi you say you have done all of those. What do you see when you type ipconfig in command prompt.
Have checked to see if there is a update driver for your wireless adapter. Do you get disconnected when you connect with a Ethernet cable

Yes I have updated it. I didnt see anything out of the ordinary, I had an IPv6 and Link Local IPv6 address. I cant use Ethernet unfortunately.. Router and modem are both downstairs.

Yes I have updated it. I didnt see anything out of the ordinary, I had an IPv6 and Link Local IPv6 address. I cant use Ethernet unfortunately.. Router and modem are both downstairs.
What happens when you move closer to the router. Could there be another devise interfering?? (Wireless Phone,ect)

If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

Reset your PC prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.

The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.

Have you tried restoring to a earlier time when you weren't having this problem. I'm running out of suggestions.;):(
Maybe other members will have more replies latter!

I actually did reset my PC. It was on Windows 10 now it's on 8.1. Thought for sure it'd work. But I've tried downstairs as well with no luck. And there's no phones near the router nor modem. I'll have to see if it works on my mom's computer tomorrow and I'll let you know back here. Thank you :)

IPv6 has to be supported end-to-end for whatever your connecting to which isn't generally the case. There are several types of IPv6 addresses. The most common one you will see is the link-local which always starts FE00. These only work to connect to local devices. An address that starts with 2001 is routable across the internet and is what you would need to be assigned from where ever you get your DHCPv6 addresses. Many older home routers won't support these. You may however see a Teredo 2001 address. This is a IPv6 address that get's tunneled through IPv4.

Some of this info has been previously shared with you but here's the important take anyways and what I would do.

1) IPV6 is optional, and for it to work completely you need it enabled on your computer, your wifi router needs to support it, whatever your wifi router is connected to (if it's connected to a modem separately) has to support it, and your ISP has to support it in order for it to work.

2) I would update your WiFi adapter drivers, the firmware on your WiFi router

3) I would reset your network adapters and winsock completely.

To do this, run an Administrative Command Prompt and run the following commands:

netsh advfirewall reset
netsh int ip reset
netsh int ipv6 reset
netsh winsock reset

If you're running an antivirus that has an all in one firewall/internet security feature you may try temporarily uninstalling it as well to see if that resolves your issue.

Hi

I know this seems simplistic but have you tried uninstalling your network adapter in Device Manager and rebooting?
Windows is very good at setting up internet connections it does it during the Windows installation process all by itself.

Uninstalling the device will force Windows to detect, setup and find drivers for your device.

As simple as it sounds I've had this fix connection problems many times.

Mike

Back