Windows 7 Irritated

analogscott

Well i did the Upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Win 7 Ultimate and have to say i'm a bit irritated with it.

Maybe i should have installed from scratch but rebuilding my system from scratch takes a week. I have piles of dev apps with piles of configurations, so i was hoping an upgrade would go smoothly. So far the only thing i can point at as a positive thing about 7 is that it's a bit quicker than Vista, but i got 12gb of memory, so i'm not so concerned about quicker it was pretty quick already. At this point it seems that Win7 should have been the next service pack for Vista. I understand that Microsoft probably needed to get away from the word Vista, but 7 is just an improved Vista.

I have a couple initial issues that hopefully someone will have an idea on how to solve,

1) There is a "Libraries" folder on my desktop, i can't get rid of it

2) i want the control panel icons sorted in list view. I only have "small icons", "large icons" and "category".
The reading order is slower and more tedious to read than list.

after some reading i've discovered that my classic menu is gone, i'll be waiting for the third-party app to deal with that. I customize my windows layout pretty thoroughly and the classic menu fit into my layout perfectly.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Scott

control panel list view

try typing a in the search control panel. Luckily the cursor is there by default so you can just hit a after you open the panel.

===
also try the following. instead of a dialog you get a alphabetical menu.
Step1. Right-click an empty area of the Taskbar and choose “Properties”.
Step2. The “Taskbar and Start Menu Properties” multi-tabbed dialog box appears. Click the “Start Menu” tab.
Step3. Click the “Customize” button.
Step4. The “Customize Start Menu” dialog box appears. Underneath “Control Panel” click the “Display as a menu” radio button.
Step5. Click “OK”

Last edited:
also try the following. instead of a dialog you get a alphabetical menu.
Step1. Right-click an empty area of the Taskbar and choose “Propertiesâ€Â￾.
Step2. The “Taskbar and Start Menu Propertiesâ€Â￾ multi-tabbed dialog box appears. Click the “Start Menuâ€Â￾ tab.
Step3. Click the “Customizeâ€Â￾ button.
Step4. The “Customize Start Menuâ€Â￾ dialog box appears. Underneath “Control Panelâ€Â￾ click the “Display as a menuâ€Â￾ radio button.
Step5. Click “OKâ€Â￾

I never thought of doing that.... So much quicker access! Brilliant tip.. Thanks :)

To remove library folder from desktop

right click on desktop, click personalize, change desktop icons, uncheck user files.

Back