Is This a Good Setup?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Hardware' started by cgrim29588, Mar 27, 2010.

1. cgrim29588

cgrim29588 New Member

I'm thinking of buying this computer and was wondering if it is a good setup or not:

Here is a breakdown of the Price:

So is this a good setup or not?

2. Highwayman

Highwayman Extraordinary Member

The CPU on it is pretty dire, semprons are AMD versions of Celerons....to be avoided, as for the video, well if buying a new system i'd be looking at at least a entry level 5000 series.

That said at £311 you can't really expect much more grunt in a rig for the price, personally I'd save up for a bit longer and get something better like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227217

#2 Highwayman, Mar 27, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  3. busydog

busydog New Member

Three words.... Intel & Not-Dell. In case you haven't looked at Dell's net worth lately, I'd opt for Acer or Toshiba with a core 2 duo or quad from Intel.

4. Highwayman

thats four words...lmao

5. busydog

busydog New Member

Nope, the last time I checked, the "&" is a key on my keyboard and not a word! Three words!

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

What's your maximum budget limit? Do you prefer a laptop or desktop? Do you prefer AMD or Intel for a CPU? Check out Tirgerdirect.com, they have some really good deals.

7. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

It basically depends on what you want to do with it.... If it's just for emailing and surfing the net then fine, anything else like gaming and your going to struggle.
    Post what you want to use this machine for and we could perhaps voice further opinion..

8. Highwayman

"&" is called "ampersand" it is a word...lol

9. Digerati

Digerati Fantastic Member
    Microsoft MVP

No way to tell. You did not say what you will be doing with this machine. I agree with kemicial - if this machine is going to be used for work, school, email, web surfing, on-line banking, and an occasional DVD movie, then it should be more than adequate. But if you plan on doing serious 3D animated gaming, then you need more CPU and graphics horsepower. And with Win7, I generally recommend at least 3Gb. It is not that Win7 needs more RAM, it is that it uses it very well to improve performance.

10. cgrim29588

cgrim29588 New Member

$300 is m minimum budget and I prefer desktops. Doesn't matter about the CPU.

Yes it's just emailing and surfing the net

11. Digerati

Microsoft MVP

For what you want to do, it will work fine. But for me, I would want to make sure both the computer graphics and the monitor support some form of digital (DVI or HDMI). Your monitor does not. I cannot find any info on that computer. Digital is not totally necessary, it is typically much better than using a LCD monitor that supports analog only.

And make sure you can live with that size screen. 18 in a wide screen is not very big.

12. cgrim29588

cgrim29588 New Member

Why would I need DVI or HDMI? I;m fine with my current monitor, but may buy something better later on

13. cgrim29588

cgrim29588 New Member

14. Digerati

Microsoft MVP

You answered your own question.

15. cgrim29588

cgrim29588 New Member

How did I answer my own question?

16. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Then it will be fine for your needs..

I think Digerati means that as your not bothered about buying a DVI or HDMI then you'll be fine using what you've got although sometime in the future it might be worth upgrading to a digital monitor as these are superior to normal monitors.

17. Digerati

Microsoft MVP

You asked why do you need DVI or HDMI, then in the next breath you said you may buy something better later on. "Something better" is digital and that requires either DVI or HDMI support on both the monitor, and the graphics card or on-board. So I am saying in order to prevent having to toss this monitor because next year you want something better is a waste of money when, for just a little bit more now, you can get a monitor that will carry you into the future.

Also - please do not bump your posts, unless they go days without a response.

#17 Digerati, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  18. cgrim29588

cgrim29588 New Member

Okay sorry I won't bump this topic anymore unless it has been days without a reply.