Windows 7 Is Win7 caching the applications?

nhern202

I have a mystery I need to solve. I updated an Access application on a Network share. Users have a shortcut on their desktops pointing to the application as follows:
Target: \\Chtg02\Public\General\Reports and stats\WTGReports\WTG_General.accdb
All WinXP users see the updated application when they double click the shortcut, one Win7 user gets the previous version of the application when he double clicks the same shortcut.
Questions:
1. Is Win7 caching the application? Where?
2. If 1. is yes, how do I refresh the cache manually?

Thanks in advance.

nhern202:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
I would have to say that it's not likely that the application is being served up by any type of caching function as this would be apparent as soon as the user attempted to make any edits to the data since there would be nothing actually live behind it to support the data edit.
What typically do you need to do to resolve the issue? (Close and reopen the database? Reboot the problem computer? Rebuild the shortcut?)
Is this a stationary desktop that never leaves the network environment or a laptop that goes home every night, because I was thinking that perhaps if the user is using "Offline files and folders" then he could actually be working on a local copy which of course would not reflect the changes in the new copy, especially if he's opening the database from within access rather than using the shortcut to the network path.
When you put a newer version of the accdb out there, what is your practice regarding the old version, do you rename it with a .BAK extension (generally a good idea as this would prevent MS Access from opening it at all), do you relocate it to another network location (backup folder), or do you just delete it? If you are just making simple changes in the database, to form colors or placement of elements or importing a form, and the user had the database open, then or course he would need to close and reopen the db before he would see the changes.
Sometimes the solution to these types of issues are the simplest, double check where his short cut is pointing to and confirm its' accuracy, unplug him from the network and try double clicking the shortcut and make sure that you get the typical "network resource not available" error. If the db opens then search his local computer for copies (*.accdb) making sure that you search hidden files and folders since it's likely to be in the CSC folder (Client Side Caching) which may be hidden or otherwise excluded from a normal search.
Keep us posted
Regards
Randy

Last edited:
"If the db opens then search his local computer for copies (*.accdb) making sure that you search hidden files and folders since it's likely to be in the CSC folder (Client Side Caching) which may be hidden or otherwise excluded from a normal search."

Thanks Trouble, CSC was the culprit.
Below is a good link describing how to:[h=3]Disable offline files in windows 7 Disable offline files in windows 7 | Offline Files and Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 Tips[/h]

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your problem and thanks for posting back and updating your thread with the solution that worked for you.
Thanks for joining our community and we hope to continue to see you around.
Regards
Randy

Back
Top Bottom