Issue: Display Settings

The past couple of days, I've felt like my backlight on my display has been dim, and I know it's Win7 because I had Vista before & never had this issue. Anyway, I was randomly poking around and found the 'Calibrate Display Color' icon on the Control Panel. Once I tweaked that, it looks completely normal again--it seemed to be a problem with the Gamma settings. It seems that once I reboot or shut down, the settings reset and it's back to a dim looking Windows that really makes it difficult to see text on the screen. How can I make these settings permanent once I set them?

Thanks for your response!

Essential Member
Your computer specs would be helpful especially the exact make and model of your display adapter and where you downloaded the drivers from.

Okay, I have a Gateway M-1617 notebook. The specs are all right here: M-1617 Notebook Specifications. The real problem is that I have to readjust the gamma everytime I want to use my computer, or the colors look too dark. I downloaded the drivers straight from Gateway's Support Website, which has drivers by model, so it's impossible that I could've chosen the wrong one. Thanks for your help!

Essential Member
I looked on ATI's site and the have an advisory stating to download the drivers from the manufacturer,

Go to Control Panel >Device Manager and see if there are any yellow flags next to any entry.

Did this occur immediately after install?

Was this a :clean: install an upgrade?

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.