Issues booting Answer file using Windows AIK

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by pbtampawolf, Jun 9, 2011.

1. pbtampawolf

pbtampawolf New Member

Help a Brotha out please.

I created an answer file using the windows AIK tool called Windows System Image manager tool.
    Great tool by the way! Well even better once I get my Answer file to boot from the USB.
    Ok back to my time question. I created the answer file and copied it to my USB drive inserted the
    Win7 Ultimate disk in by cd Rom and USB in its port and when I reboot it tells me unable to find boot

2. JackHayward

JackHayward New Member

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to clone a system configuration?

3. pbtampawolf

pbtampawolf New Member

Hi Jack

Thanks for your response.

Well I am studying for Windows 7 cert 70-680 MCTS EXAM and am stuck on this one lab.

Create an answerfiile Autoattend.xml and Capture a system image. All this is being done with a tool on the Windows AIk disk called
    Windows system image manager.

After I created the answer file and copied it over to an empty USB, I incerted it into an empty USB port and poped the Win7 install disk in the CD-ROm . Then I reboot and made sure BIOS knows to boot from USB and I get an error that unable to find Ntldr or it will just boot to the existing OS installed on the system insted. I feel like I am doing something wrong with respect the USB thumb drive.
    From my little experiance I would think the USB would need some sort of bootloader program but the book says the system will look at the root of the USB for the autounattend.xml

4. RBCC

RBCC New Member

What do I put into the autounattend.xml file to use my $OEM$ folders? How do I create a package of my applications for the WAIK? John

5. pbtampawolf

pbtampawolf New Member

6. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

I don't know basically anything about what you are doing, but it seems you need to make a Flash Drive bootable, if you have not.

Perhaps this Microsoft Reference will help.

Or maybe This One..

If you have questions, I will try to help as best I can.

#6 Saltgrass, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  7. pbtampawolf

pbtampawolf New Member

Thanks for all of the feed back guys. I did a little bit more looking into it and it seems that I need to be trying to boot from the CD-rom with the windows Installation on it and not the flash drive that contains the autounattend.xml (answer file) file. So I guess I once I boot from the
    Cdrom then by default the installation will look to the flash for the answerfile.