Windows 7 Issues With A Lot Of Applications

FreeHugs

Hey everyone,

About two weeks ago i started to have trouble with various applications in windows 7, up to that point everything seemed to work oki doki...

The first i noticed was that some games, namely World Of Warcraft and Crysis had major issues when i alt-tabbed.
World of Warcraft crashed completely if i alt-tabbed to the desktop with no way of returning to the game, I'v since learned to play in windowed mode and as long as i don't press the minimize button or alt-tab to the desktop, i can start applications from the task-bar and switch between them at will. Crysis is much the same, and Age Of Empires 3.

Then I saw another problem with Photoshop CS4 where some panels i had out would minimize themselves for no reason, fortunately Photoshop had no problems with alt-tab, and if i alt-tabbed out and back in the window would be there again, but usually disappear again a number of times.

Photoshop had another problem that was shared with Flash CS4, at random point the application would go into a spasm for about 10 seconds with windows flashing all over the place and the tab moving around the task bar like crazy.

I'm almost certain that I have all my latest drivers after running multiple driver checker programs, and my computer is definitely free of malware etc. It was a clean install, but nothing like this ever happened with XP, which im glad i kept on my second harddrive :)

If anyone wants any information that i could provide i would be be more then happy to supply it.

Anyone that gives any help will get a free hug :)

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums.

Did you perform a "clean" install or an upgrade?

Are you running the 64-bit edition?

Yup, perfectly clean install.
Formated my second hard disk and installed windows 7 on it through windows XP which is still on my first hard disk.
Im running the x86 version

Thanks for a fast response reghakr :)

We're going to have to take these one at a time.

Do you know what directory World of Warcraft was installed to?

In User Accounts in Control Panel, try moving the slider down to the bottom to Never notify

Installation directory - D:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft
Set the notifying to never.

But if your thinking of running it in XP compatibility mode that doesnt change anything. And it doesnt explanin why it worked for about a week without problems either :frown:

Have you checked the Application logs in Event Viewer?

I'm going out on a limb here, but open a command prompt and type sfc /scannow

sorry for taking a while, was doing the scan.

After verification went to 100%, the DOS box just closed and i saw no more of it :/

And its my first time seeing the Event Viewer but from what i gather it records all changes to the computer but this wouldnt be much help to myself as i am a power user constantly running multiple things at the same time and installing new programs etc. So i think it would be very hard to narrow it down to what caused this problem, nevermind the fact that I'm not even sure what date in the first place :(

Yea, but i have absolutely no idea where to start, i can only narrow it down to a window of about 5 days at best and even then there will be 100's of programs that have made changes to the system, registry etc

Isnt there any other angle of approach?
Perhaps it is a driver problem after all? I heard something about BIOS systems leading to some issues similar, what do you think?

All BIOS's are different, so I can't make a call there other than restore defaults.

How long ago did you install and would you be willing to perform another "clean" install?

many people seem to be experiencing problems with games.

That's why theirs a Forum section specifically for games.

Try going into the Games folder and perform a search inside that area and choose Search this forum.

I sorry I couldn't be of better help

As it said it was a bit over 3 weeks ago, and yes i would be willing to do a clean reinstall. Just the fact that this will be my third time setting everything up again is slightly annoying

Anyway, thanks for all your help reghakr, i wish there were more people willing to help as you are :)

P.S When I open Photoshop it shows a message saying ""adobe photoshop cs4 now includes graphics card acceleration. we recomend you vist your video card manufacturers website and download and install latest drives". However I have looked and cannot find any new drivers that i should have :(

Do you know the exact make and model of your graphic card.

Try going to Start > Run, and type msinfo32, expand the Components section and look under the Display section.

Im sure you just wanted the name, but i put in everything else just in case it might be helpful :)

Name NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0193&SUBSYS_80101462&REV_A2\4&26C98DFD&0&0008
Adapter Type GeForce 8800 GTS, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Adapter RAM 320.00 MB (335,544,320 bytes)
Installed Drivers nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver Version 8.16.11.9107
INF File oem33.inf (Section003 section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1280 x 1024 x 75 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xFD000000-0xFDFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xEFFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xFA000000-0xFBFFFFFF
I/O Port 0x0000DC80-0x0000DCFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 16
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003E7
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver d:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (8.16.11.9107, 9.07 MB (9,509,832 bytes), 27/09/2009 17:12)

WoW still becomes non-responsive after minimizing and Photoshop still displays the message on startup :(

Im sure i had already installed those same drivers though, but either way it changed nothing :(

The only thing I can suggest is a Google search for Photoshop error windows 7

There seems to be a lot of people having problems with it.

reghakr, thank you for all the support you have offered, it seems the only thing left to do is a clean install as you suggested. I might get around to that later in the week and I'll let you know how its goes, or if i can find anything else before that. Thanks again :)

Just finished my clean install of 7 and WoW... it works perfectly ;)
I hope it stays this way =P

And I promise i will keep a closer eye on what i install and what happens after i install it next time :D

Back