it take lot of time to see network computers

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Networking' started by bluewing, May 30, 2009.

1. bluewing

bluewing New Member

ive installed win7 in my laptop. when i wanna view network computers from start->network, it take lot of time. others systems in my house run on xp over wifi network. i have put all the computers in workgroup. in some cases i dont even see computers in the network. do any one got solution for time consumption to view network computers? it really irritates:(. help please.....:razz:

2. moldavia

moldavia New Member

I have noticed that as well. When i bring my notebook from sleep and open windows explorer I have to wait 15-20 seconds for it to scan the network again its very annoying considering windows xp was instant. Seems like Windows 7 has to rediscover the entire network system every time you turn on computer or come back from sleep mode instead of relying on what is already there.

3. zzmegad

zzmegad New Member

hi, i also have had this problem. i have 2 computers running windows 7 on my network, i am by no means a professional and really don't even know what i'm doing, but I have found that by setting my DNS Server addresses manually instead of automatic I can veiw the folders of network computers instantly instead of having a 15-20 second lag

4. moldavia

moldavia New Member

Not sure I even understand what your saying you did with the DNS server addresses. Are you talking about setting your router to assign specific ip addresses to each computer? If so I already do this and it does not make a difference.

5. zzmegad

zzmegad New Member

no,

In my case i went to my router config page and found out what my DNS addresses were, then went to:

control panal, network sharing center, click your local area connection and go to properties, click internet protocol 4 (TCP/IPv4) and go to properties, I am assuming yours will be set to obtain DNS server addresses automatically. I changed that to use the numbers i got from my router.

6. moldavia

moldavia New Member

gotcha lol had a brain fart there. I havent used those settings in a long time.. well so far seems to be instant connect now thank you much for sharing your info with the community its appreciated.

Now the only thing I have a problem with is this. I have 2 other computers shared into my notebook so I can access them. One computer I can change the network names in windows explorer the other one I cannot. really strange.

7. terreaultguy

terreaultguy New Member

Hi, I have a simular problem.
    I have 3 computers conneted to a router.
    PC 1 - win 7 It sees the others fine and network detects the computers automaticly - no problems
    PC 2 - win 7 (is the problem one) It sees PC 1 All the time but has problems detecting PC 3
    PC 3 - windows XP Pro sp3 - Like PC 1 all OK

I tried your DNS suggestion and did not work for PC 2
    But when I put back the automatic detection of DNS it suddenly got everithing right.

i also mapped to a folder on PC 3 and checked the remap at startup

I restarted PC 2 and It now sees the other 2 will have to remouve the map to see if problem comes back

Will comme back if the problem returns.
    Bye, Guy

#7 terreaultguy, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009