Just discovered today I don't have Administrator even as User

My New Laptop doesn't have two users only one..and that user is me.. I don't have administrative rights so therefore I can't create an administrator..to do simple tasks such as delete a program,, or open up msconfig.. These functions need administrative rights..

How do I get these????

My friend suggests I may have a corrupt registry..

any ideas????

Hey...

These types of "friends" always mean well but....

Sounds easy but what happens is - Safemode // ( one user , me ,) then when I go into control panel to create new user ( administrative).. NO matter what name I type in to create administrative it says it does not recognise name as I am not allowed to use these charactors -
\|/<>*&^% ..... etc .. but I am only typing in letters or numbers and I still get this error message in creating a name .........

Don't make a new account. Do as I've said and see how it goes, instead.

Or follow Trouble's advice, although you should disable the Admin account when you are done what is needed.

edit again and again .. ( this web site is not very friendly says I have to wait 30 seconds between posts even If I wait two minutes ) ....

Last edited:
Don't make a new account. Do as I've said and see how it goes, instead.

Or follow Trouble's advice, although you should disable the Admin account when you are done what is needed.
I tried it again..
into the command mode I don't get C:net user administrator /active:yes

I get C:\users\name\net user administrator /active:yes

and it reports back access denied ..

My humble comment:

and it reports back access denied ..
This happens because you don't run the cmd as an admin. If you can't start it as admin, boot from 7 DVD -> Repair -> Recovery options -> Command Prompt -> type:

Code:
net user administrator /active:yes

will take me a couple of days .,. off to work ...

My humble comment:

This happens because you don't run the cmd as an admin. If you can't start it as admin, boot from 7 DVD -> Repair -> Recovery options -> Command Prompt -> type:

Code:
net user administrator /active:yes
OK I did exactly this scenario and in windows repair (aftefr a five disc backup) I was able to perform that request (active:yes) and it reported it was successful..|
Then I restart back to my login (one only still) and ran the same test only with accessories/command prompt-right click/run as administrator but it failed again..\sample images attached..
I'm still stuck with no administrator....

Attachments

So I phoned HP support today and after explaining this scenario Looks like I have to reset the PC back to factory default or to be more precise FORMAT .. I backed up onto 5 dvd all my loaded programs and files so hopefully I won't have to spend 24 hours getting the PC back to the way it was for me... I still love my XP ...

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.