Windows 8 KB2982791

enigma1944

The following bulletins have undergone a major revision increment.
Please see the appropriate bulletin for more details.

* MS14-045 - Important

Bulletin Information:
=====================

MS14-045 - Important

- https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms14-045
- Reason for Revision: V2.0 (August 15, 2014): Bulletin revised
to remove Download Center links for Microsoft security update
2982791. Microsoft recommends that customers uninstall this
update. See the Update FAQ for details.
- Originally posted: August 12, 2014
- Updated: August 15, 2014
- Bulletin Severity Rating: Important
- Version: 2.0

I received this message yesterday. Should I comply with this notice.

Thanks

I have seen your post on other forums.

Most important: There have been many reports of the "August Update" giving problems. The extreme is that the computer will no longer boot into the OS.

This is the MS context :

"Microsoft is recommending that EVERYBODY do this regardless of whether you have a current problem or not. There is a strong possibility that ANYBODY could experience the problem and be unable to boot windows at any time with these updates installed, or have display issues. With the increased use on websites of dynamic fonts that are loaded as and when needed to display on a website, that do not use the default installed fonts, the problems can affect anybody and cause an IE crash on almost any site

Open the Programs and Features item in Control Panel, and then click View installed updates. Find and then uninstall any of the following update that are currently installed:

◦ KB2982791
◦ KB2970228
◦ KB2975719
◦ KB2975331"

Link: http://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/category/microsoft/

Pure luck that
1. I do not have Automatic updates selected, and,
2. I was in no hurry to download the updates, by the time I looked at them, the download had been closed., so they are not installed.

Last edited:
I've also seen this around but as I've yet to see any issues myself or see any posts relating to this in the forum I held back on posting. Just to be on the safe side I removed the two offending updates and then reran WU as MS have now released a fix. Thanks for the info David.

Last edited:
I have seen your post on other forums.

Most important: There have been many reports of the "August Update" giving problems. The extreme is that the computer will no longer boot into the OS.

This is the MS context :

"Microsoft is recommending that EVERYBODY do this regardless of whether you have a current problem or not. There is a strong possibility that ANYBODY could experience the problem and be unable to boot windows at any time with these updates installed, or have display issues. With the increased use on websites of dynamic fonts that are loaded as and when needed to display on a website, that do not use the default installed fonts, the problems can affect anybody and cause an IE crash on almost any site

Open the Programs and Features item in Control Panel, and then click View installed updates. Find and then uninstall any of the following update that are currently installed:

◦ KB2982791
◦ KB2970228
◦ KB2975719
◦ KB2975331"

Link: http://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/category/microsoft/

Pure luck that
1. I do not have Automatic updates selected, and,
2. I was in no hurry to download the updates, by the time I looked at them, the download had been closed., so they are not installed.

OK thanks

This may be a method used by others but I can't remember ever removing an update in 18 years

Well, in my case it wouldn't happen. I'm a great supporter of images. Anything bothersome such as this, and I reload an earlier one.

Hi

My updates are up to date, but I went through the list looking for these and I didn't find any of them.
These are the August updates.

Updates_zps5aeb60ff.jpg

I suppose that because I don't install updates automatically that I waited so long to do it that they had pulled them by the time I did.

Maybe being lazy has it's advantages sometimes.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom