Windows 10 Kernelbase.dll error

Nezkeys79

I have been getting a crash to desktop problem with playing Final Fantasy XI and tried numerous so called fixes but nothing as worked as of yet and it's driving me insane. Basically it just randomly crashes to the desktop with no warning accompanied by the message "playonline encountered and error and stopped working" with no error code which makes it infuriatingly difficult to detect what the problem is. There are no warning signals like an r0 (that can happen if the microwave is on for example) it just happens. It can happen after 5 mins or an hour, or 5 hours. It appears to be random based on that but I've noticed it seems to happen a lot if I go afk. I disabled all sleep/hibernation settings that may be conflicting and they are now set to either "never" or the max value I can put in. The most recent thing I tried which I hadn't tried before was changing to a wired connection instead of a wireless one but as you've guessed I still get this crash.

Anyway after yet more hours of digging/researching I stumbled upon a post to check my event viewer and found some very interesting things detailing errors and reports of various things and some of them look like culprits but I wouldn't have the first clue on how to fix them and really need help from people who do please. One of them actually names pol.exe (playonline) but I have a feeling that some of the others might be involved too. Here they are...

1) a) Faulting application name: pol.exe, version: 1.18.13.0, time stamp: 0x4e3bcddc
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.10586.306, time stamp: 0x571afb9a
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x000bdae8
Faulting process ID: 0x658
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1bebfe1d94482
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer\pol.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report ID: 49881814-ff4f-40c8-913e-780646c8ebcc

--------I think the next one is related to the above so listed them together--------

1) b) Fault Bucket 108151411850, type 1. Event Name: APPCRASH. Response: not available. Source: Windows Error Reporting. Even ID: 1001

2) The network interface Intel Dual Band wireless AC 7260 has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. The network interface has reset twice since its last initialization

3) WLAN autoconfig detected limit.connectivity. performing reset/recover adapter. code: 8 0xc 0x0. There are quite a few entries of this nature with different codes

4) TCP/IP has chosen to restrict the congestion window for several connections due to a network condition. This could be related to a problem in the TCP global or supplemental configuration and will cause degraded throughput

5) The browser has forced an election on Network\Device\NetBT_Tcpip because a master browser was stopped. The letters "BT" co-incidentally happen to be the name of the people who supply my broadband or am I overthinking this one?

6) Name resolution for the name wpad timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded

7) The server (long ID) did not register with DCOM within the required timeout

8) The application specific settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM server application with CLSID (long ID) and APPID to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (long ID)

9) The user data_access, the user data_storage, the contact_data, and the sync_host services (all the same ID) have terminated unexpectedly

10) I ran the troubleshooter for every network tab I could and everything came up clean except for "Incoming Connections" where it said this "Problems Found: 1 or more network protocols are missing on this computer". It then asked me to "try these repairs as admin" which I agreed to and then it said "fixed". Whatever this fixed it had no effect on the crash I get with Final Fantasy XI

Sorry for the kinda long post but this is really starting to bug me as I've spent over a month now trying to fix this. Just a little recap...I recently performed a repair install of windows 10, a fresh install of FFXI and playonline (As in a brand new bought copy), and a fresh download/install of windower4...the 3rd party application used to launch Final Fantasy XI. My directx version is 12 even though final fantasy XI apparently only runs on 8.1, and my GPU is NVidia GTX980M. On a side note I've played Morowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, The Witcher 3, Everquest, Guild Wars with no problems at all

Last edited:
Hi Nezkeys79,
The exception code:
Exception code: 0x40000015 means an unknown software exception occurred.

One or two things to try here:
FFXI crashes to Desktop w/ error :: Final Fantasy XI :: ZAM

Also have you tried installing the apps that are needed for this game in compatibility mode?

What is an unknown software exception?

Also that person has a different error to me though. Their faulty "module" is FFXIMain.dll and mine is kernelbase.dll. That would suggest his FF files were corrupt and mine would suggest a system file is corrupt?

And no...whatever apps are needed for this game in compatibility mode I probably don't have them installed. I did try running the game in compatibility mode once through the troubleshooter and it just crashed on startup so even worse.

One more thing...he quit the game because nobody there helped him with his problem. That is kind of how I am feeling as am so close to just giving up on this myself as it's draining me, but at least it gives me some comfort to know at least a few other people have been experiencing the same issue :(

Last edited:
I assume so because I went through them all not too long ago with a driver program (this problem was present way before that and what prompted me to check all drivers). I can check again but I'm pretty certain it is.

Edit: Yes...the network adapter driver is up to date. But In going to device manager to check it spurred me to check everything else cause why not...and I found that the driver for Intel (R) 4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express X16 Controller - 0D01 was out of date. I downloaded the latest driver for that and then my laptop froze forcing me to restart >< When I came back I was signed out of here (I'm usually perma signed in). Whether that will fix the FFXI I have no idea but at this stage I'll try anything

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.
Also that person has a different error to me though. Their faulty "module" is FFXIMain.dll and mine is kernelbase.dll. That would suggest his FF files were corrupt and mine would suggest a system file is corrupt?
Probably not. All this is saying is that the error occurred in this dll and not the other.

I would trawl their forums if you haven't already. It looks to me that the apps needed to play the game are probably the cause but I could well be wrong (wouldn't be the first time lol )
*solved*Help! Playonline crashing when opening ffxi :: Final Fantasy XI :: ZAM

I already trawled their forums and saw nothing that helped. Also that thread you linked to is of someone having a different crash again. His problem was that he couldn't get into the game at all that it was crashing as it opened. That doesn't happen with me. It gets on everytime no problem then just loses "focus" randomly. I still have no idea what these apps are you speak of though

Have you tried just re-installing the game? This looks like a user mode crash.

Have you tried just re-installing the game? This looks like a user mode crash.

"Sorry for the kinda long post but this is really starting to bug me as I've spent over a month now trying to fix this. Just a little recap...I recently performed a repair install of windows 10, A FRESH INSTALL OF FFXI AND PLAYONLINE (As in a brand new bought copy), and a fresh download/install of windower4...the 3rd party application used to launch Final Fantasy XI. My directx version is 12 even though final fantasy XI apparently only runs on 8.1, and my GPU is NVidia GTX980M. On a side note I've played Morowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, The Witcher 3, Everquest, Guild Wars with no problems at all"

As you can see I went out of my way to try and fix this by paying for a new copy instead of just backing up and reinstalling the same files. It takes 6-8hours in total to download the updates/install too. I did that once already when I probably didn't need to

Last edited:
What is the difference between Event Viewer and DebugDiag? I mean Event Viewer seems to have specific information about the crash to me and I really thought I was on to something with it. Is the information from Event Viewer too vague for you guys then? Are you essentially saying all the info listed in there is useless? It says faulting node kernelbase.dll. I thought that along with the other codes/IDs it shows would be enough for people on here to detect what is going on. The DebugDiag thing sounds very complicated to me...plus remember I can't just reproduce this crash at will because it happens randomly. I can be on the game for 5 minutes or 5 hours sometimes

DebugDiag will have a dump of the process memory included much more detailed debug information then would you see in EventViewer.

I tried the program compatibility troubleshooter again and this time "reported the problem to Microsoft". It then said this...

Issues found
Incompatible Program Detected (yellow triangle with black exclamation mark) <<< this symbol shows up in the boxes for each character on character select btw
Windower is Incompatible
Fix Program Windower (with no info on how to fix it thanks awesome troubleshooter)

Detection Details
Computer Name: NeilsBaby
WindowsVersion: 10.0
Architecture: x64
Time: 5th June 2016 21:30

Publisher Details
Find and Fix problems with running older programs on this version of windows
Package version 1.5
Publisher Microsoft Windows

A few things about this....I know people who play using windows 10 and said they don't get this crash. Secondly if the program was incompatible wouldn't it just fail to load altogether? (I get on to the game itself 100% there are no initial connection issues).Thirdly this crash also happened when I was using vanilla to launch the game (playonline itself not windower4), and I've read reports of people getting the same crash, or a similar crash on windows 7 and 8 tbh. Let's assume this troubleshoot message is correct how would I go about "finding and fixing problems running older programs on this version of windows". I mean the windower4 is hardly an old program imo and the dev team are pretty up to date with current lua codes for the game so I'd be very surprised if their program was not compatible with windows 10 ><

Last edited:
I just tried to create an account on their forums but the so called verification code / activation link they sent to my email is not there, and it's not in junk or spam either. I've checked every folder. This wouldn't be the first time I haven't received the email activation when registering with a site though. It doesn't happen often but it's happened a few times. No idea whether that is something to do with a fault on my end or their end. If I get emails from other people fine 99% of the time that suggests to me it's a problem on their end. So yeah I can't even create an account to ask on there about windows10 compatibility. >< :(

Just download the same as your architecture. If you're not sure, press [Windows key + x] and click on System

It would sure be nice to have the hardware specs of the Computer you are having difficulties with. Make/Model if an OEM computer (Dell, HP, Acer, etc.)? Is it a desktop PC or laptop? Or is it a self-built PC (one you purchased parts for and built yourself), or a custom-built PC (one you paid someone to assemble your parts or purchase parts and assemble & test for you)??

Please also download the free SPECCY diagnostic from piriform.com and post back the output text result file here for us to look at.

Also, if you have a self-built PC or custom-built PC; we need the specs if you have the parts list, or you can use SPECCY to get those, but we also have to get the EXACT PSU Make/Model and wattage off the PSU label. There's a possibility your system is overtemping if you have an underpowered PSU for your rig.

Have you run hardware diagnostics on your RAM memory sticks and Hard Drive yet? If not, you should also do this too. See these 2 excellent links to help you do that if you do not know how:
MEMORY DIAGNOSTICS:
Memory Diagnostics
HARD DRIVE DIAGNOSTICS:
Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

It's important to provide us with ALL your hardware specs, since you don't seem to have benefitted from a software solution, it's time to look at the hardware inside your computer. My mantra for years has been "NO SOFTWARE ON THE PLANET CAN FIX BROKEN HARDWARE!!!".
My background is hardware design and systems engineering, so we don't look at these things until software solutions fail to provide you a solution to your app crashes.

We can then advise you further.

Best of luck, :encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

A new error...this dll looks like directx to me. dx3d must be that?

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-06-06T19:56:50.392292700Z" />
<EventRecordID>1406</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>NeilsBaby</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>pol.exe</Data>
<Data>1.18.13.0</Data>
<Data>4e3bcddc</Data>
<Data>d3d8.dll</Data>
<Data>10.0.10586.0</Data>
<Data>5632d6b6</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>00040971</Data>
<Data>d5c</Data>
<Data>01d1c02c2a05fd8c</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer\pol.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d8.dll</Data>
<Data>04d2c8f4-3398-4d36-ab36-6fb42b356f2a</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
</EventData>
</Event>

If that file d3d8.dll is corrupt (I thought my version was directx12 anyway) how would Icheck if it is, and then how would I fix it?

EDIT: Um I just searched my laptop for that file and it doesn't even exist >< Here are all the d3d files I found from that pathway(i used "show hidden files" in the search also)

d2d1.dll
d3d8thk.dll *
d3d9.dll
d3d10.dll
d3d10_1.dll
d3d10_1core.dll
d3d10core.dll
d3d10level9.dll
d3d10warp.dll
d3d11.dll
D3D12.dll
D3DCompiler_33.dll (this goes up to 43)
D3DCompiler_47.dll
d3dcsx_42.dll
d3dcsx_43.dll
d3dx9_24.dll (this goes up to 43) (37-43 are all in capitals)
d3dx10.dll
d3dx10_33.dll (this goes up to 43)

*properties says this is OS Thunk Layer whatever that means but this is the closest file to d3d8 I could find

Last edited:
BIGBEARJEDI:

Here is the laptop I bought

ROG G751JY - Features

ROG G751JY - Specifications

Mine is the one with i4870HQ 2.49ghz
1TB HDD and 500GB SSD
Even though it says DDR5 on those adverts when I ran speccy and other programs it said DDR3 (I don't even know what that means anyway)

and it was purchased from LaptopOutlet.co.uk in the UK

Last edited:
there are two downloads of that debug thing x64 and x86. not sure which one to download
Just download the same as your architecture. If you're not sure, press [Windows key + x] and click on System

well it says x64 but I've only ever seen 32bit or 64bit operating systems so had no idea what x86 was. Did you see the recent post I made about the d3d8.dll error? I really would like to try and ascertain what is going on there before downloading that diag thing

Back
Top Bottom