Windows 7 Keyboard and mouse functioning irregularly

Austen6485

I'm using a 3-year old Windows 7 HP Laptop, and until recently, I've never had any problems. As of today, my keyboard is no longer functioning properly. The keys will randomly keep disconnecting, the cursor jumps to different search bars, etc. Of course, even when some of the keys do choose to respond, they will open a file, folder, or some other random application instead of typing the letters into the designated bar.

In addition, when using my mouse, I sometime won't be able to open a file or folder anywhere on my computer. It's not as frequent as the keyboard issue, but it's still a pain. For example, when I try to open the Local Disk Drive, it would instead bring me to the Local Disk Drive properties rather than actually displaying the drive's contents.

I'm certain these two problems are related, as they both just sprung up out of nowhere at the same time. I really don't know what to do. My Virus Scanner detects no threats, my keyboard drivers are updated, and my keyboard layout is as it should be. I don't know what else I haven't checked. I'm really not much of an expert when it comes to computers, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Additional Details:

I'd rather not attempt a system restore just yet, as I don't want to lose many of my recently installed applications. I'll save that as my last resort in case other suggestions don't work.

Update:

Alright, now every time I attempt to click on a link online, it will either not respond or save and download the link.

I'm using a 3-year old Windows 7 HP Laptop, and until recently, I've never had any problems. As of today, my keyboard is no longer functioning properly. The keys will randomly keep disconnecting, the cursor jumps to different search bars, etc. Of course, even when some of the keys do choose to respond, they will open a file, folder, or some other random application instead of typing the letters into the designated bar.

In addition, when using my mouse, I sometime won't be able to open a file or folder anywhere on my computer. It's not as frequent as the keyboard issue, but it's still a pain. For example, when I try to open the Local Disk Drive, it would instead bring me to the Local Disk Drive properties rather than actually displaying the drive's contents.

I'm certain these two problems are related, as they both just sprung up out of nowhere at the same time. I really don't know what to do. My Virus Scanner detects no threats, my keyboard drivers are updated, and my keyboard layout is as it should be. I don't know what else I haven't checked. I'm really not much of an expert when it comes to computers, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Additional Details:

I'd rather not attempt a system restore just yet, as I don't want to lose many of my recently installed applications. I'll save that as my last resort in case other suggestions don't work.

Update:

Alright, now every time I attempt to click on a link online, it will either not respond or save and download the link.
Are either or both wireless; it may be low battery power? That fixed a jumpy mouse for me in the past.

Back