Windows 10 Keyboard problem

John9210

Three or four times a day the keyboard stops working for about 5 minutes. I can't enter text or use any of the keys. I can't open Task Manager with ctrl-alt-delete to investigate. The mouse still works. I can use it to close or open programs, shutdown etc.
Does anyone have a suggestion on what may cause this or can recommend how I can track down the culprit?

If the mouse works you can open task mgr by right click on task bar then click on task mgr maybe that will help you determine the problem.

When the issue occurs I would start by looking in 'Device Manager', you can access it with the mouse by right clicking the start button and select 'Device Manager'. I would expand out "Human Interface Devices', "Keyboard' and 'Universal Serial Bus controllers'. From these look for devices with yellow '!', red 'X' or devices with a small circle with a downward facing black arrow. The first two indicated a problem and the arrow indicates a disabled device.

Another place to look, also accessible from right click the start button is 'Event Viewer' the system log may contains logs about the keyboard.

Some potential problems
  • Keyboard hardware failing (common)
  • Problem with the usb port (uncommon)
  • Problem with the root hub device (uncommon) if the keyboard and mouse are sharing the same hub you can rule this out. You can use USBView in Windows - Windows drivers to easily determine if both devices are on the same hub
  • Corruption in Windows resulting in a problem with the keyboard driver (uncommon)
  • Joke malware disabling your device at random (rare)

Thanks for your response. I checked the device manager as you suggested and checked the Event Viewer. No issues found. The "potential Problems" are difficult to check. I will download the USBView program and run it. However, I'm not hopeful.

I ran USBView. It shows the keyboard and mouse on the same hub. However I don't see how this is a problem. The wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse have been working fine for a long time. The current issue is a recent one and has been going on for the last month or so. Attached is the USBView tree. The right pane is extremely long and I don't know how to interpert it.

Attachments

• USBView Tree.PNG
    USBView Tree.PNG
    115.5 KB · Views: 154
Back
Top Bottom