keyboard shortcut for increasing volume (not in media player)

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by clair, May 8, 2012.

1. clair

clair New Member

hi

I've searched everywhere, including the help in windows 7 (when you click F1).
    I need a keyboard shortcut for increasing and decreasing volume, and I don't mean when playing a video or something, I mean the "general" one.

thanks

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

What type of keyboard are you using (PC or Laptop)? Many have that built in.

3. clair

clair New Member

none multimedia one, on my pc desktop

4. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Sorry, I really do not understand your response.

If you have a multimedia keyboard, there is already a key for volume control, you may just need to install the keyboard drivers to make them effective.

5. clair

clair New Member

I said I have a none multimedia one. it NOT a multimedia one, it's a regular one

6. Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone U.S.Navy D.A.V.

Hello Clair,

Windows Vista and Windows 7 do allow users to create keyboard shortcuts, unfortunately, not for volume control.

You actually have 3 choices;

1. Purchase a Multimedia Keyboard with built-in Volume Control buttons, usually around $20.
    2. Download and install 3RVX, which is a skinnable freeware volume control application. Just Google 3RVX.
    3. This one I have not tried, but it's a script someone came up with to use your Page Up/Down keys to control volume globally. If you decide to go this route, do so at your own risk and create a Restore Point and/or Back-Up your System.
    The script with instructions can be found here: keyboard shortcuts - How to control master volume in Windows 7? - Super User

Hope this helps;

Don