Knoppix Linux - Live CD

Richard_R_W

If you don't already have a Live version of a Linux CD, then you should look into getting this version of Knoppix. 4.0.2
http://www.knoppix.net/
I fix a lot of PC’s, those really messed up by viruses, or the OS has crashed and needs reinstalling, etc. Using Knoppix, you can get into any PC and look at the hard-drive (As long as it’s not dead.) Back-up files to CD/DVD, or to another partition. You can also create new partitions, delete files, rename files, etc.
You can also go on the net and download drivers, etc if need be, and then saving them to a CD/DVD or to your USB thumb drive.
A live CD of Linux is a must for anyone needing to fix a Windows PC. Plus it’s fun to learn a bit about Linux without needing to install it. Everything runs right from the CD. The live CD, version 4.0.2 is a free download from.

Download Page/ Get your ISO
http://knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

MORE: What is KNOPPIX�?

KNOPPIX is a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a Linux demo, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it.

I use linux on a daily basis. Knoppix is good when you want linux and you are on another computer with windows. I prefer knoppix 3.2 ceh-security/network tools. Thats pretty much all it is good for. Most knoppix issued .iso's are missing alot of packages, most of the time the lib's are not updated and half the programs never work.

Now, as far as using it for windows? Explain that to me? I fix windows systems all day for my job. The only thing I could see using knoppix to fix a box is using it to backup files, but if that was the case then you would need another hard drive to copy the files to but if you had an extra hard drive then you could just master slave and coppy without having to deal with mounting and other commands. If you can access the drive with knoppix then you dont need knoppix to copy files.

Maybe you could use it to change sam password files and create fake acounts or use it to delete those pesky files that windows wont delete.

There is really no purpose to use knoppix unless you just want to use linux on a windows system. If anyone has any other ideas why you would need knoppix to fix a windows box, please let me know.

josh_rain

josh_rain said:
If anyone has any other ideas why you would need knoppix to fix a windows box, please let me know.

josh_rain

Welcome back... In response: to access the drive??

I fix a lot of computers too Josh, and you are right for the most part you don't need a tool like this bootable OS on a CD, but on those systems that have crashed hard, and will not boot at all, I have been able to back up peoples photo's, music, .doc files, email, etc as I can burn to CD or DVD. Knoppix has these tools. I can also dump data to my USB thumb drive.
At the end of the day all people care about is having their data intact.
Once I have the backup done, I can format the drive if need be.

Also, and we have all seen systems with files that just don't want to be removed, even Killbox can't remove some things, but boot into Knoppix and I can take care of it.
And when I have to remove stubborn files, this method does it so quickly. And only one re-boot needed.
It's a time saver.

You're right, data recovery is a good reason for knoppix. But then again, so is booting into safe mode with cdrom support ;)

theres an app thats called "unlocker" for windows. Works well so you dont have to boot to linux to delete files ;-)

Try the new Ubuntu live, its pretty sweet. Also, google for SDK live linux cd's. Quite a few exist for security / data recovery tools.

Two words DATA RECOVERY!

I fix a lot of computers too Josh, and you are right for the most part you don't need a tool like this bootable OS on a CD, but on those systems that have crashed hard, and will not boot at all, I have been able to back up peoples photo's, music, .doc files, email, etc as I can burn to CD or DVD. Knoppix has these tools. I can also dump data to my USB thumb drive.
At the end of the day all people care about is having their data intact.
Once I have the backup done, I can format the drive if need be.

Also, and we have all seen systems with files that just don't want to be removed, even Killbox can't remove some things, but boot into Knoppix and I can take care of it.
And when I have to remove stubborn files, this method does it so quickly. And only one re-boot needed.
It's a time saver.

Back