Windows 10 KVM-switch troubles

Nomad of Norad

Extraordinary Member
I have a KVM switch, one of those newer ones that switch both the PS/2-style keyboard and mouse connectors and also the USB keyboard and mouse connectors, and switches the VGA monitor connection. I had a really old KVM switch that was from back when PS/2 connectors where the norm, but for some reason it was starting to "lose" the keyboard and mouse, such that the mouse and keyboard would start misbehaving. I'm guessing it was ever so slowly starting to send less and less power to the keyboard and mouse, or something. I have dual monitors connected to my main machine, with the VGA monitor being the one on the left side, and the DVI monitor being the main one on the right.

Anyway, the new KVM switch has an annoying problem. Or, rather, Windows has an annoying reaction to when I switch displays. As soon as I go to change focus to the other machine (a usually "headless" machine running as my personal email server), Windows suddenly decides "Oh, that monitor isn't THERE anymore! Here, let me helpfully shunt ALL the windows you have open on THAT monitor over to THIS monitor!"

GAACCCK!!!!!

Is there a way to make WIndows not do that?!?

Apparently the OLD kvm switch would continue sending a fake signal back along the monitor connection, telling all connected PCs there was a monitor of this type and resolution still over there, but on the new KVM switch they must have cut corners and decided that feature wasn't necessary. oO

Gah, gotta love freaking bean-counters, always trying to save themselves 5 cents or something on manufacture.

To my knowledge no you can't prevent Windows from reshuffling when it detects a change in the displays

Back
Top Bottom