Windows 7 Laptop connects to wireless network but not internet

lowen92

My laptop does not connect to the internet on the wireless networks in my flat. It will connect to the network, but will not have internet access. There are several unsecured wireless networks available run by the flat and I can’t connect to the internet on any of them, whereas other members of the flats and my flatmates are able to. This suggests there is not a problem as such with the router, turning it off and on again has already been attempted. When I moved in, the man in charge of maintaining/organising etc the flats took my MAC address and allowed my laptop access. Yet I cannot connect to the internet. I went to my uni’s library and connected to the internet no problem. I have tried turning off my internet security, looking at the properties of the wireless connection and attempting to edit settings (changing them back again afterwards), and nothing seems to be working. I have taken a printscreen of my network status here http://i53.tinypic.com/o6hgs7.jpg in case it sheds some light on the problem. Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi lowen92 and Welcome to The Forum.

Just a thought, as this is an area that, tbh, I know nothing about! (Someone who does will no doubt be along a bit later).

Have you checked with "the man in the know" that he actually has, and has entered your correct MAC address?

Last edited:
Hi. Yeah I have, he's been to check that he definitely entered the correct MAC number, and also come to check my laptop and switch the modem on and off and see if he can figure out what's wrong, but to no avail...

My laptop does not connect to the internet on the wireless networks in my flat. It will connect to the network, but will not have internet access. There are several unsecured wireless networks available run by the flat and I can’t connect to the internet on any of them, whereas other members of the flats and my flatmates are able to. This suggests there is not a problem as such with the router, turning it off and on again has already been attempted. When I moved in, the man in charge of maintaining/organising etc the flats took my MAC address and allowed my laptop access. Yet I cannot connect to the internet. I went to my uni’s library and connected to the internet no problem. I have tried turning off my internet security, looking at the properties of the wireless connection and attempting to edit settings (changing them back again afterwards), and nothing seems to be working. I have taken a printscreen of my network status here http://i53.tinypic.com/o6hgs7.jpg in case it sheds some light on the problem. Thanks in advance for your help!
The fact that your computer seems to work without issue in the alternative environment
I went to my uni’s library and connected to the internet no problem
would suggest that there is nothing wrong with your computer or network hardware.
Since your provider is doing MAC address filtering you might try this;
first open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
examine the information pertaining to your wireless adapter, specifically the value of the line "Physical Address:"
write down the hex value and remove all the dashes/hyphens (-), which should leave you with a 12 digit hex value, then type
ncpa.cpl
into the search or run box and hit enter
select then right click the wireless adapter and choose properties
click the "Configure" button near the top
then select the advanced tab
In the left column select the "Network Address" property and
In the right column select the radio button above the one that says "Not Present"
Enter the twelve digit hex value that you have written down into the "Value:" box and OK your way back out of there.
Reboot the machine and see if that helps your current issue.
Regards
Randy

Back