Windows Vista Laptop freezes

grrrrrr

Hi there, I have this huge problem with my laptop, it's always freezing. :mad: It's freezes about 10 to 15 times a day, even if I'm just working on Microsoft Office. Sometimes it freezes just after the boot. When it freezes nothing at all works, I can't do Ctrl+Alt+Del, I can't move the mouse and the only option is to remove the battery and then reboot it.
At first I thought it was a registry problem, so I downloaded a program to clean my registry but the freezing continued. Then I thought I had some sort of a virus but my scan showed that my computer is virus free. Then I downloaded Mestest86+ and ran a memory test but it showed that I have no memory problems.
I don't know what else can it be...Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Laptop specs (Toshiba Qosmio F50-11X):
CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9550
RAM: 4,096 (2,048 + 2,048) MB
HDD: 640 (320 + 320) GB

I just need to ask a few questions for clarity...

Are you running the latest drivers along with the most recent bios? To check for updates try here:

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe....action=search&teddProduct=806&selShortMod=763

Have you installed the vista service packs, if so, which ones?

Another common cause of lock ups can be heat. Have you checked your temps to see that they're ok?

Finally.... Welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for your answers :)
So, I updated all of my drivers including the BIOS one, but the freezing continues. I have SP1 installed on my laptop (it already came with SP1 because it's a recent laptop).
I tried all of my recently installed programs and even unistalled a few but the freezing continues :)mad:)
I'll try the Windows Startup Repair and I will post here the results :)

Thanks for your answers :)
So, I updated all of my drivers including the BIOS one, but the freezing continues. I have SP1 installed on my laptop (it already came with SP1 because it's a recent laptop).
I tried all of my recently installed programs and even unistalled a few but the freezing continues :)mad:)
I'll try the Windows Startup Repair and I will post here the results :)

I've been away for a few days... so how did you get on?

I've also been away for a while but I'm back now and totally ready to solve this problem! :)
So, I tried the Windows Startup Repair with the Recovery partition that my laptop has and it showed nothing, not even one error...
I downloaded CCleaner and did the usual (clean my registry and stuff) but the freezing continues...
Any other ideas? And of course, thanks for your help :)

I would go with Kemicals overheating suggestion. You can download several hardware monitors on a demo basis for free.

You can do that first or go for the problem (if it is that). I have no knowledge of the Toshiba, but if you turn it over, you can easily locate the panel, under which sits the fan. Remove the panel, usually four small screws, and clean out the fan and cavity with a small paint brush. If you are more daring, you can carefully unscrew and remove the coling pipes. Bet is you will find the inlet to the fan and cooling pipe has a heap of rubbish on it. You could try the short cut and get a high pressure air can anf blow through the vent without removing the pipes. You will probably then have to blow a littttle dust fom the motherboard

Last edited:
I would go with Kemicals overheating suggestion. You can download several hardware monitors on a demo basis for free.

I downloaded Everest Ultimate Edition and here is a screenshot of the temperatures of my laptop:

Link Removed - Invalid URL
Link Removed - Invalid URL
Hope this can help figure out if it is an overheating problem. Are the values normal, I really can't tell...

Last edited:
Laptop Temps

Seems like Toshiba (is) noted for over heating problems. They also had a bunch of bad batteries that would cause the laptop to overheat. I"ve heard that on other Toshiba Laptops Normal would be about 35C Max. Probably is a bunch of dust bunnies around your heat sinks. Here's an article on the proper way to clean your laptop: How to Cool Down an Overheating Laptop | eHow.com

^^^ You might want to talk to Toshiba on temperature ranges, I've also heard most laptops operate between 65 and 70 C safely.

Last edited:
67/68 is getting towards critical for the CPU. It would, under most designs, cut, around 75. Undoubtably this is the problem.
Celestra's link is pretty close to what I have already advised. One point, which should be obvious, is that if you follow the instructions from the link, refrerring to the bit about stopping the fan with a toothpick. Of course, it is said, but I will repeat, - the laptop must be Off. The fan might pick up a sudden speed surge from the force of the compressed air and this is what the article intends to convey.

I would also follow my suggestion that it would be a good idea to have that bottom panel off and blow out the motherboard at the end of the cleaning process.

Wops!
P.S.

One important point I omitted. The purpose of taking off the metal cooling tube(s) as I suggested!!
Apart from giving you access to the vents, to blow them out, this also reveals the top of the CPU. You should have a small tube of cooling paste handy as I am sure you will find this is dried out on the CPU. - Just a dab, don't over do it!

Last edited:
As Rak points out you are a tad warm... See (as has been suggested) how you go once the dust bunnies have been shooed from their cages...:D
I have a 6 monthly cleaning regime and am always amazed on how the stuff builds up...

As always thanks for your responses. Just wanted to point out that now my laptop is even worse...
Everytime I turn it on I get this message saying that "WSAStartup() failed, or you have the incorrect version of WinSock installed." and I can't connect to the internet (I'm posting this from another computer).
Is the message related to the overheating or does my laptop have another problem? :mad: I'm getting pissed off...

EDIT: I ran StartUp Repair and it fixed this problem

Regarding the overheating there are just some questions I have.
So I turned the laptop over but there's no panel under which sits the fan, so how do I clean it?
And will this void my warranty? The laptop has maybe 3 or 4 months and I wouldn't want to void the warranty now...

Last edited:
You would have to consult your warranty to be sure...but most laptop manufacturers will not allow you to open the box. Unlike most desktops they only allow PC card peripherals to be added. I would see where you are required to bring it for service and if required to send it out. Chances are there is no physical problem besides dust buildup causing those temps. It is even somewhat rare for a laptop manufacturer to RMA a damaged part without opening the laptop themselves.

Glad to see you got things sorted...:)

As for the over heating...You could look around the base of the laptop and if there are any vents which look a little clogged, a small paint brush coupled with a compressed air can is ideal at helping to remove the dust build up.
I found this site which may help a little: How do I clean my laptop?

This may also help as it is a review of 8 laptop coolers which may be something to consider?

Cool Hand Laptop: Eight laptop coolers tested, rated, and reviewed | Crave - CNET

I took some photos of my laptop to show you guys so that I can figure out how to clean this thing and stop the annoying freezing... Hope you can help me :)

Link Removed due to 404 Error

And here's a shot of the back of the laptop. That's from the air comes out.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Yes, get canned air and blow it out.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, seek warranty work (if possible).

I would remove the panel on the RAM and start with blow out the fan towards the back (outlet).
Then back the other way, then blow around in the RAM area, to get any stuff that may be there. It's not a big deal to not do it, just don't let the liquid from the can spray on it.
Don't worry you will do fine.

Popping the RAM door will (should) not void the warranty unless there is a sticker that I can't see, then don't do it.

The panel for the fan is the large square bottom right. It seems it has four small screws. Blowing from the Ram will not, I think, have a great deal of effect, as the fan openings are accessible only from the tube vents (on the back of the case) and the main vent which we are looking at in your picture. Don,t forget the advice to hold the fan fast whilst blowing. The fan bearings are plastic and with the huge surges from an aerosol can can easily become distorted.

Last edited:
As Tepid suggests if this doesn't seem to do the job then use your warranty...:)

I had this very issue with an Acer laptop a few years back, pulled the whole thing apart, can aird the other bits, took the sink off, took it to work an hit it with the compressed air tool, the crap that came out was amazing, then new Thermal paste and no more Chernobyl!

Back