Windows Vista Laptop freezes

So, I have great news! The freezing stopped! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
I cleaned the fan with compressed air and a painting brush (I was amazed with how much dust there was in there) and now the laptop sounds much better and no more freezing.
Also, tomorrow (August 18th) is my birthday (super excited :D) and I'll ask my father to buy me a laptop cooler :)

Thank you guys SO SO much. You literally saved my life :)

I cleaned the fan with compressed air and a painting brush (I was amazed with how much dust there was in there) and now the laptop sounds much better and no more freezing.
Also, tomorrow (August 18th) is my birthday (super excited :D) and I'll ask my father to buy me a laptop cooler :)

Happy Birthday Grrrrrr !!! You might try covering your laptop when not in use. Something I wanted to try is a silicon keypad protector. Toshiba makes them, it looks like the cover they put over "Register Keys" in fast food restaurants.
The laptop coolers tend to run small. (Evercool 17" Widescreen Notebook Cooling Pad Largest I've seen)
(USB 2.0 3 Fan Powered Slim Smart Laptop Notebook Cooler Pad Cooling Cooler Pad W/ Blue LED $11.99
New and popular already) not sure about size...

Last edited:
One thing to always keep in mind though. If there was prolonged over heating going on, there is a potential of damage caused. This may not be the case for you at this time, but keep that in mind. Always keep the laptop clean, once every 2 to 4 weeks minimum, unless you are in a high dust area, then more. Depending on how much you use the system.

Do not allow the fan or outlet to be covered during use.
Keep off of beds, towels, blankets or anything else that can cover the fan and outlet.

Fantastic! and Happy Birthday!!!...
party-smiley-015.gif

Have a great day and if you need help in deciding which cooler to buy post back....:D

Please come again, Glad to hear it mate.

Just a tidbit.

One small additional tidbit to this conversation! I had a shutting down problem about once a day that I attributed to heat. I did the usual blowing out with no avail. Finally, I fabricated 4 wooden blocks about 1 1/2" square and 3/4" thick then hollowed a section into each of them for the rubber pads on the bottom of the computer to fit into (to hold them in place). This additional 3/4" of space beneath the computer for air circulation, fixed my daily unscheduled shutdown. A zero cost solution! :)

Thanks a lot for your answers :D I had a fantastic day!

@john3347 - Greatest idea I've seen in a while. Zero cost is always something I like but I actually receveid the laptop cooler for my b'day and now it runs at 30 degrees :) It's a really nice one, with 5 fans, 2 USB ports, some drawers to keep your cables and is long enough to handle my Toshiba Qosmio. :)

Although now I have another problem (Seriously...Is this laptop ever going to be fine :confused: ) Back then when my laptop was still freezing I tried to install After Effects CS4 and this stupid machine froze right in the middle of the installation (I know...I have some luck...) and now ever time I try to install the program again it fails. It says something like this "Suite Shared Configuration CS4. Error 1603. A fatal error occured during the installation."

I contacted Adobe support and they sent me to this link

Q111019: Error 1603: Fatal Error During Installation

but none of the things listed in there solved my problem.

I was wondering if it's related to the freezing or if there's something else wrong with my laptop...again *sigh*

Hope you guys can help me once again (I know I know...I can be really boring sometimes...)

Hey grrr,
that's what we are here for matey so don't worry about it and I'm glad you had a good day too..
I'm probably going to ask you a really daft question now but when I googled your problem i found your answer in the adobe forum.. Did you see the post at the bottom?

Hi there kemical,
I'm sorry but what post at the bottom are you talking about? In the After Effects section in the Adobe forums?

No disresect to Kemical!! But, if his posted solution does not work, I would suggest you post your probelm in a new thread. It is a bad idea to mix probs. I think you will get more answers that way. Hopefully, for you, Kemical has supplied the solution.

Hi there kemical,
I'm sorry but what post at the bottom are you talking about? In the After Effects section in the Adobe forums?

Did you run as administrator? Are there any other Adobe apps on the system? If so, please uninstall them and run th CS4 Clean Script from the support pages, then install again. If that still doesn't work, provide the install logs. I recommend you clean out existing ones first, so the new one becomes as small as possible. they can be found in C:\Program Files\Common files\Adobe\Installers and are the *.log and *.log.gz files.

Mylenium

Did you try these things too?
I got the above from here:
Adobe Forums: Unable to install

Thanks for the response. So, I tried everything in that list but nothing worked. For now I'm using a portable version of AE and Phostoshop, because I tried to install the Master Collection of CS4 and nothing worked either. I guess I'll have to settle with the portable version...

Hmm...ok.. I'll do some looking around and see if anything turns up...:D

Back
Top Bottom