Windows 7 Laptop Problem

Wilhelm

Does the laptop have a wi-fi board? I can not pickup my desk computer modem signal unless I am just about standing over the modem. I am not sure about what I am saying, so in plain language something is not working
correctly. Any help? Do I need to ditch my laptop or is it repairable?

Does the laptop have a wi-fi board? I can not pickup my desk computer modem signal unless I am just about standing over the modem. I am not sure about what I am saying, so in plain language something is not working
correctly. Any help? Do I need to ditch my laptop or is it repairable?

I cannot answer all your questions.

RE : Does the laptop have a wi-fi board
How old is your laptop ?
click the Start button > in the search box, type device manager > press Enter > scroll down to and click at the pointer in front of Network adapters > > if you see a Wireless Network Adapter listed, then you have a Wi-Fi card.

I cannot answer all your questions.

RE : Does the laptop have a wi-fi board
How old is your laptop ?
click the Start button > in the search box, type device manager > press Enter > scroll down to and click at the pointer in front of Network adapters > > if you see a Wireless Network Adapter listed, then you have a Wi-Fi card.

Thanks David

Looks like I have a Virtual Micro Soft WiFi Mini Port Adapter #2.
The Laptop is about 4 years old Toshiba Satellite A665-S6050 Model. I did some testing out of doors and it
seems like I lose the signal when I am about 70 feet from the house. Sitting in the LR I get Poor/Good readings
Can only get Excellent when I am in the same room with Laptop.

Can I get a WiFi Board to install in a laptop or would it be a waste of money. The only time I use the Laptop is when
I go to SC and my neighbor lets me use his internet. This year I am unable to connect to him unless I go outside and
accross the street infront of his house. Sort of duplicated here at home the setup for SC, and it looks to me like the
Laptop WiFi pickup is weak. As you can see I don't know "Jack S" about computers.

My knowledge of this subject is minimal. I won't venture any suggestion on something I know very little of.

Please kindly wait a bit and someone with better knowledge will come along to assist you.

Good luck.

Hi there Wilhelm:
I can try to answer some of your questions. The laptop you have is rated as: Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n (draft).

That means your integrated or built-in WLAN (Wireless LAN) network card in your Toshiba can operate at "N" standards; which means you should get at least 60-80% radio signal strength for a 150 ft. radius of your wireless modem/router (that's the device that broadcasts the Wifi signal throughout your home or apartment). That's a 300 ft. diameter circle around your home; so unless you live in a 4,000 sq.ft. mansion you should have adequate coverage throughout your domicile. Of course, this is predicated on the fact that your broadcasting device, the wireless modem/router is running a 802.11n version of wireless and is broadcasting your radio signal at "N" power levels. If you have an older modem/router and it is running 802.11g; then you can cut those distances in half above, and your coverage could be spotty in your home. If it's really old--say 10 yrs. or older and it has 802.11a or 802.11b; then you'll have to halve those distances again. With "a" and "b" you were only able to go 37.5 ft. in any direction away from the broadcast device aka router. Not more than 1 or maybe 2 rooms.

What make/model of modem/router do you have? for example, mine is a Cisco-Linksys E2000, and it's a 802.11n router.

If you have anything older than a "N" broadcast device, you should replace it to get maximum broadcast/reception compatability. Simple as that. "N" router needs a "N" WLAN receiver inside the laptop. New wireless routers, good ones start around $60 US.

Couple of side-notes; Toshiba has been putting integrated into their laptops since about 1999 and they were the first laptop maker worldwide to do this. I know, since I bought over 400 of them!

If you're not sure what brand or model of modem or router you have, look at the labels on the bottom, and then simply google the brand and mode number; such as Linksys WGRT-52A. Google will direct you to the Manufacturer's website and you can view or download the specs in PDF format. They will tell you exactly which standard that device supports (a, b, g, or n). Usually, modern cable modems, dls modems, and wireless routers are mostly backwards compatible unless they have issues with "a" as it was early dual-channel technology is and no longer widely supported by wireless router manufacturers.

Post your answers, and I will try to assist you further.

If you find you do have a "N" router talking to your existing "N" satellite laptop WLAN card and still have difficulties. I would consider replacing the "N" router, as replacing the WLAN card in your laptop is only $10 for the part but probably $50-$75 for the labor. And you'll be without your laptop for a week or more. Replacing your router is a 1 hr. trip to your local computer shop. If the problem persists after replacing the router, then you can send your laptop out and have the WLAN card replaced.

Hope that helps.

BIGBEARJEDI

BBJ Thank you for the time and effort you have spent. I now have a better understanding of the WiFi setup. My WiFi card or install
apparently is very weak. My Router is a Comcast and is supposed to be the latest and greatest. I may take the Router down to Comcast and get a new one just incase it is not up to par. One thing I notice is that the signal bars on the laptop ride up and down
like 2 bars, 3 bars, 4 bars and back down to 2 bars. Also it reads Poor,Good, Excellent etc. My Toshiba is a Satellite A665 S6050
If it is a card, I would tackle the job but intigrated forget it.

You're welcome. Let us know how your wireless signal is after you get the new Router from Comcast.

BBJ :brew:

You're welcome. Let us know how your wireless signal is after you get the new Router from Comcast.

BBJ :brew:
I have been pretty busy lately, even missed a Doctor's appointment. Have not changed router but I have another question. My battery is heading south, can I run the laptop without the battery installed?

Back