Windows 7 Laptop recognises wireless; won't identify.

robstarplus

So I've just upgraded my laptop to Windows 7 7100 32-bit from Windows Vista 32-bit.

The wireless picks up my wireless router's signal. Yet it does not identify the network. I see "Unidentified network" and the access type reads "No Internet access"; however, as I've stated the connection is there and strong with a full five bars.

Even with a direct link via cable, the laptop will still not receive internet access via the connection.

In ipconfig it does not display a default gateway or connection specific DNS suffix.

Ipconfig/renew does nothing; restarted my router does nothing.

My desktop PC does connect to the router, xbox and all other wireless devices connect with the laptop. My PC is running Windows 7 7100 32-bit as well.

Is this a common issue? Have I overlooked something.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem and I think it may have to do with a router incompatibility. I can connect wirelessly at school and at my friend's house with no problems at all. However, I have the connection problem when I am at home using my ISP's Netgear router. I can only connect through an ethernet cable at home.

I recently discovered that I can get wireless when I change my router's encryption settings. If I change from an encrypted mode to no encryption, wireless works fine. I have no idea why. Can someone explain what's going on? Should I get a different router? Thanks.

My solution

I was having the same problem- I could recognize my home wireless network but I could not connect to it's internet. I went into my router's settings, and in the basic setup options i changed it from automatic DHCP to Static IP. My laptop immediately connected to the internet. I hope this helps.

I was having the same problem- I could recognize my home wireless network but I could not connect to it's internet. I went into my router's settings, and in the basic setup options i changed it from automatic DHCP to Static IP. My laptop immediately connected to the internet. I hope this helps.

Can a second person confirm that this does, or does not work? I'm not the only person who uses my router, so I'd like to know before I dally with it.

Back