Windows 7 Laptop Woe!

Lewie

Hi all.
My mate gave me his laptop after throwing it to the floor during a temper fit.
My daughter has a similar model.
I swapped the hdd to see if it was ok.
It was.
I put my daughters hdd back in and now it doesn't show any user icons at the start up window??
This means I can't get in to do anything.
I've tried safe mode, repair, restore blah blah.
Nothing.
It boots up it shuts down but no way of logging on.
I tried start up repair and I get

Problem Signature 01 6.1.7600.16385
02 6.1.7600.16385
03 Unknown
04 -1
05 Auto failure
06 1
07 Corrupt Registry
OS Version 6.1.7600.2.0.0.856.1
Locale id 1033

It's as though the hdd I plugged in left some info in the cache and then wrote it to the original hdd, is that possible??
Any clues on a fix??

Last edited:
Hey there...

If I'm understanding well, your daughter's laptop is having the issues now?

Ya...it's all setup for the other model you had it in, after all the bsods happened while it was installing to fix, for that machine.

It's now a mess unfortunately.

Best advice is to clean install Windows while formatting. Leave the hard drive alone in the machine and don't use it to attach to another and boot from it.

As for the thrown machine...if it was powered on while it was thrown, the hdd is definitely shot. Replace with another and install Windows to there.

2 machines working well after all this advice. :)

Hi.
Yes, it is my daughters laptop that is having the problem.
No bsod, I get the welcome screen but with no user icons so I can't log in.
I need to recover some data before I do a clean install but i can't get in.

You could attach the hard drive to a pc and copy what you need off it. Then replace it in original machine and proceed to clean install.

So if I buy a adapter to plug it into my pc, even though the laptophdd wont let me log in I will still be able to see the files on the laptop hdd??
If so do i have to set the laptop hdd to slave?

So if I buy a adapter to plug it into my pc, even though the laptophdd wont let me log in I will still be able to see the files on the laptop hdd??
If so do i have to set the laptop hdd to slave?

If you connect 7 and XP, you should be able to share files over WORKGROUP:

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

Apparently you'll need to log in to both PC's to set it WORKGROUP for both and set the necessary share permissions.

Hi Cybercore.
I cannot log into the laptop that is why I was asking if I need a adapter etc.
If you read post 1 you will see what I have done.....oops.

Hi Cybercore.
I cannot log into the laptop that is why I was asking if I need a adapter etc.
If you read post 1 you will see what I have done.....oops.

I had read all your posts very very thoughtly, and that's why I said: "Apparently you'll need to log in to both PC's to set it WORKGROUP for both and set the necessary share permissions."
Which of course means you have to log in, and apparently you can't do without logging in. By that link I showed you the steps so you had an idea.

Oops. : )

I meant 'oops, what have I done' not 'oops you should read more carefully'
I seem to be missing something, if you understand that I cannot log into the windows 7 laptop, how can I workgroup them??

If you can connect that hard disk as a secondary hard drive, if the motherboard can handle it, then you'll be able to access data except those in personal user folders (Documents, Music - if there's a password on the user account).

There can be issues with hdd controller modes, AHCI, IDE, compatibility. If your PC controller is set the same mode as it was set in the broken note, and if the motherboard has a free hdd slot, then you may be able to connect it via adapter and access some of its data.

It would be easier over network though.

Back