Windows 7 Laptop won't start up

Kenntudd

H i all

I have just joined the group and as a OAP I am a bit slow so I am hoping someone will give me a answer to my problem.

Last weekend I installed Windows 7 on to my wifes Toshiba laptop and everything worked well untill this afternoon.

She used it from 1.oopm for about half an hour then switched off untill 5.30pm, when she switched it on again it started as Windows XP and when it asked to press F2 or F12 the screen went black and a box came up asking for a password, I tried using a programme disk to see if it would start up and I tried every password we use but no go so we now have a laptop we cannot use.

So any help would be most welcome,

Ken

You will get a lot of suggestions for this.
But first, reboot the Windows 7 DVD and, when the option eventually pops up, select "repair startup."

H i all

I have just joined the group and as a OAP I am a bit slow so I am hoping someone will give me a answer to my problem.

Last weekend I installed Windows 7 on to my wifes Toshiba laptop and everything worked well untill this afternoon.

She used it from 1.oopm for about half an hour then switched off untill 5.30pm, when she switched it on again it started as Windows XP and when it asked to press F2 or F12 the screen went black and a box came up asking for a password, I tried using a programme disk to see if it would start up and I tried every password we use but no go so we now have a laptop we cannot use.

So any help would be most welcome,

Ken
This sounds like a possible boot / bios password prompt. You may have to contact toshiba for a resolution, I know I had a similar problem with a Dell and I had to contact Dell, prove ownership, and they provided me with a solution.

Was XP on the machine previously (Obviously)

Was this an upgrade or a "clean" install?

Try hitting F8 on startup and choose Last Known Good Configuration.

Reading your original post, another thought occurs to me. Did you or your wife attempt a reinstall of XP after Windows 7 - that is a rcipe to disaster.

Thank you for all your replies.

To answer your questions I have tried a reboot with windows 7 disk but it does not work.

It was a cleaninstall and the wife did not try to reinstall XP.

As I said as soon as I switch the laptop it shows the XP screen for a couple of seconds then goes no further and the reqyuest for a password comes up and what ever password you put in as soon as you press enter it switches off.

Thats all I can say I will try to get hold of Toshiba for a password.

Ken

I have just switched the laptop on and instead of the XP coming up I get Toshiba now but only for a short time then as before.

It must be a BIOS problem that is why I contacted Toshiba and after proving that I am the onwer they said it was to old but it is only 5 years old and it is a Toshibe EquiumA1oo-147.

Som apart from a miricle it is for the bim and its a good job no foles were on it.

Ken

No advertsinmg is allowed, please remove that line from your signature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back