Latest Windows 7 updates corrupt video?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Graphics' started by rhaina, Jul 21, 2011.

1. rhaina

rhaina New Member

I have two machines that I generally use to game:

System 1:
    Core i7 - 920 processor
    EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI motherboard
    6gb memory
    Nvidia BFG GeForce GTX 280 video
    Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64

System 2:
    Intel Core 2 Extreme 2.66 - processor
    Nvidia NForce 680i - motherboard
    4gb memory
    Nvidia BFG GeForce 8800 GTX
    Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Within the last month, both machines have experienced video corruption. My main machine, when it boots to desktop, the display will turn to all pixels, all different colors, and sometimes the cursor will be a box that I can move around, but nothing I do will make it come out of it. Sometimes it will reboot on its own, or I have to do it manually. Starting in safe mode, there are no problems. I have removed all the video drivers and reboot.. and it will load to desktop.. windows searches for drivers, installs and I have to reboot.. and it's the same issue. I've tried stopping windows from installing a driver and manually installing old drivers, beta drivers, current drivers.. a few times the computer has worked ok, but if I turn it off or restart.. it comes back. My secondary machine has suffered display corruption too, but it will load to desktop ok. Sometimes it will flicker and corrupt the screen.. sometimes to the point where I get the blue screen of death.

The likelyhood that both video cards are bad at the same time? I've tried installing new and old video drivers.. it seems that a recent Windows7 udpate has caused some issues?

2. techmonkey74

techmonkey74 Lifetime Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

For trouble shooting why not either uninstall the updates OR use a system restore point back to when you know for sure everything was good.

3. rhaina

rhaina New Member

I just got my EVGA GTX 460 today, so if the GTX 280 card really isn't faulty, I'll put it in my other PC.

4. techmonkey74

techmonkey74 Lifetime Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

Good luck, let us know how it works out.