Windows 7 Library deleting

boredchika

System:
Toshiba Satellite A660-135 laptop
Intel Core i3 M380 2.53GHz
4 GB Memory
450 GB Hard Drive

Description:
I have a large amount of music on an external hard drive. I have set my wmp library folder as the folder on the ehd that contains all the folders of music and also one folder on my comp that I download stuff to before transferring it to the ehd. I opened up wmp and loaded all that music (I'm talking like 12,000 files) and I can listen to it and works great. I close wmp and then open it again later and the majority of the music has been removed from the library. The folders are still set in the Manage Library window but there are only a handful (about 30 completely random files) still in the list. I can still play all the files directly from their containing folders and all my playlists still show and will play all the right tracks, even if they aren't in my library list, but the full list is gone. If I try deleting the remaining files from my library, not my computer, they don't budge. I have to try several times to remove the folders and then reinstate them to get the program to refresh the library to re-add all 12,000 files all over again. I have been through this process at least 5 times now, this is getting ridiculous. How do I fix this?

Windows Media Player will keep your music for so long as you prevent it from retrieving additional information on the Internet under Options in Windows Media Player and don't try to play the files when the external drive is disconnected. The default behavior of Windows Media Player is simply to leave the library intact - even when files are removed. Here is what you should do:

Start -> Search -> cmd.exe -> chkdsk on the external HD.
If you don't know how to do this from the command prompt, go to My Computer, right-click on the drive, and run Tools - Error Checking -> Check Now

Start -> Search -> Indexing Options -> Advanced Options - Troubleshooting -> Delete and rebuild index

Go to Windows Media Player
Tab -> Tools - Advanced - Restore Media Library

The problem should not continue to occur. Make sure your "real" music library is configured correctly. This is the "library" that handles all Music on your OS. It can handle multiple locations, but not necessarily multiple files being moved from one drive to another. This may be doing something to the WMP database.

The default behavior of Windows Media Player is simply to leave the library intact...

It does leave the library intact, so long as I don't close the program. I can have it open for a week, disconnect it from the ehd, reconnect it, add and delete and do all kinds of things to files and it keeps everything straight and in order. But as soon as I close the program it resets everything. It even undoes all the edits I've done to file names within WMP.

Back
Top Bottom