Windows 7 License question -- international versions

feijiefu

Hello! I have a question about Windows license keys.

I live in China, and I have just bought a new laptop with and licensed copy of Windows 7 pre-installed (really, it is a legit copy, I swear!). The only problem is that it is in Chinese, which I find somewhat inconvenient.

My question is, since there is already and Windows 7 license key assigned to that computer, can I use an English version Windows 7 disk to do a clean install on that machine, and then register it using the license key that came with that machine?

It seems like you should be able to do this, as I have paid for a license to have Windows 7 on that machine, and why would they care what language it is in, but you can never tell ...

Thanks for the advice!

I dont think that is possible since if it is pre-installed you have an oem-slp key. The retail disk would need the retail key which is assigned to the disk.

Why not use a english language pack. They are optional Windows updates in win7 Ultimate and professional. That would basically be the same thing.

Edit:

Here is the official Microsoft source to download language packs: Link Removed - Invalid URL

You can also change the display language of your computer. Read this article:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972813.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response Webscaper. I was afraid that would be an issue.

I'm pretty sure that the new laptop is installed with Home Premium, not Ultimate or Professional (not 100% sure as it hasn't arrived yet). If that is the case, is it still possible to install the language pack?

Good question. You came to the right place. I just helped a Japanese person living in the United States install the Japanese language pack on his computer. He too did not have Windows 7 Ultimate or Professional. He used the links I provided and had no problems.

My computer intuition leads me to believe that the language displayed and recognized by the computer is only a function of the language pack that is installed either by default or manually. In other words, your computer has the Chinese language pact installed by default.

A computer bought in China has the Chinese language pack installed by default even though this may not be readily apparent.

Installing an Engish language pack on that same computer bought in China makes it the same as a computer bought in the United States (i.e. english).

Hope this sums up any questions you may have.

Edit:

Make sure to download for the right architecture (32 bit or 64 bit).

Last edited:
Thanks again, Webscaper. I've downloaded the English language pack (x64, nice reminder), and I'll try to install it when my new PC arrives next week. I'll be sure to let you know the results!
:)

I've just tried to install the language pack, and it doesn't seem to work. These are the instructions offered on the Microsoft website to install the language pack:

To install a Language Interface Pack (LIP), double-click the file to open the setup program. To install a language pack, follow these steps:

Open Region and Language by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Clock, Language, and Region, and then clicking Region and Language.

Click the Keyboards and Languages tab.

Under Display language, click Install/uninstall languages, and then follow the steps. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Note

The Display language section will be visible only if you have already installed a Language Interface Pack or if your edition of Windows supports a language pack. Language packs are available only in Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Enterprise.

There are two problems. 1) when I double click on the language pack file, not much happens. It asks me for permission to run the program, a file called "lp" briefly appears and the disappears, and that is it. 2) when I go to the keyboard and languages tab, there no "display language" menu. Maybe I'm missing something ....

Any ideas?

op said:
There are two problems. 1) when I double click on the language pack file, not much happens. It asks me for permission to run the program, a file called "lp" briefly appears and the disappears, and that is it. 2) when I go to the keyboard and languages tab, there no "display language" menu. Maybe I'm missing something ....

Any ideas?

Language packs are not officially supported in 7 Home Premium and therefore cannot be installed.

Unofficially, you can try vistalizator.

Thanks for the tip, cybercore! Vistalizator was a nice easy fix to this problem. Installed the language pack with this several hours ago and everything is running smoothly.

Thanks for the tip, cybercore! Vistalizator was a nice easy fix to this problem. Installed the language pack with this several hours ago and everything is running smoothly.

Now that you are experience at installing language packs, and if they are a whole lot cheaper over there, we could make a lot of money selling Chinese bought pcs with the english installed language packs. We could split the difference in price.

Back
Top Bottom