Windows 7 License Question

brianolo

Hi,
I purchased Windows 7Upgrade Family Pack. This entitles you to three computer installations. Two installs are complete. I also installed it on my own PC, but prior to activation I purchased an upgrade key to the Ultimate version, which was successful. I then activated my copy AFTER Ultimate install.

My question is am I entitled to the third install from Family Pack, or is it used up? I only have one Ultimate key which I used on my PC.

Thanks in advance. :confused:

What other answer were you expecting?

What extra features will you use from Ultimate that you wouldn't get from Pro ?

Just curious.

Last edited:

Just curious.
Off the top of my head...

bitlocker
vhd
16 language packs
DreamScene

Link Removed due to 404 Error#
Hold 'em Poler game

Last edited:

Just curious.

Asked about definitive answer because "should" doesn't help, thats why I asked.

I want Ultimate for bitlocker. I have a dual boot XP/7. Without bitlocker, when you boot XP it erases all system restore points for Windows 7. I realize there is a registry editing method for this problem but I do not have the expertise to use regedit. Any info on this (alternate method) would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Ask, when you boot XP it erases all system restore points for Windows 7.

For real? How is that possible? They have to be on different drives or partitions... I just can't imagine xp hunting down Win 7 restore points and delete them. Could Xp have forsseen in the future?

For real? How is that possible? They have to be on different drives or partitions... I just can't imagine xp hunting down Win 7 restore points and delete them. Could Xp have forsseen in the future?

Yes, it's real. It also did this with Vista! :frown:

Yes, it's real. It also did this with Vista! :frown:
Unbelieveable... well here it the fix

You can use either of the following methods to work around this problem.
Method 1

To keep Windows XP from deleting restore points of the volume in Windows Vista, add the following registry entry under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\Offline registry subkey in Windows XP:

Value name: \DosDevices\D:
Type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 1

Note If the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\Offline registry subkey does not exist, you must manually create this registry subkey. Create this registry entry when you have installed Windows Vista on the "D" partition in Windows XP.
Effects of this workaround

After you restart Windows XP, you cannot access the volume that is created in Windows Vista from Windows XP. However, you can still access the volume that is created in Windows XP from Windows Vista. You must use Windows XP drive or an additional drive such as a USB thumb drive for data exchange.

The other workaround is to use bitlocker... but you have to have Ultimate.

OK, thanks all for your input. The problem is solved, the method I used was System Restore Points - Stop XP Dual Boot Delete - Vista Forums

It is similar to the suggestions on this forum but I found it more detailed and easy to understand.

Although it is a Vista fix, it worked in Windows 7 Ultimate. Additionally, I was supposed to be unable to access my Windows 7 volume while booted into XP but it works perfectly. Perhaps that's a Win 7 enhancement, I don't know.

Thanks again. Brian

Back