linux vs windows

tsianos1

linux is free and you can do the same things you do on windows but why more users use windows???

ans best os for me is mac but don't have the money to get :(

For me linux just dosen't have the popularity as windows.

Windows looks better. Performes better for me. And most programs can run without using stuff like Wine and that.

Plus many users who don't know what iso files are and such like windows as it is easy to use. Just log on. Click IE or something and away you go.

For me linux just dosen't have the popularity as windows.

Windows looks better. Performes better for me. And most programs can run without using stuff like Wine and that.

Plus many users who don't know what iso files are and such like windows as it is easy to use. Just log on. Click IE or something and away you go.

i hate windows OS but i was impressed from 7. it seems good :)

Linux is still a 'niche' OS

Until they make it easy for 'average Joe Bloggs' to use, and until the support is natively there for gamers, it'll unfortunately (IMHO) never be a mainstream OS.

If all you need from an OS is the ability to send emails/browse the net/create office documents, then Linux is perfect. If however you are a gamer, then chances are you're going to use Windows, purely becuase Windows works out of the box with little to no configuration necessary (having to tinker with Wine/Cedega/etc doesn't count).

The problem with Linux (again IMHO) is that to make any major change that would be done by a helpful GUI in Windows, you need to drop back to a command prompt/terminal window in Linux and type some random-seeming command that just doesn't make any sense to the average user.

If the Linux community every overcomes these obstacles, and gets the support of game developers, then I suspect Microsoft's days might be numbered. I'm personally not holding my breath, much as I'm all in favour of the idea.

Last edited:
Thank You for bashing Linux - I don't turn anyone onto Linux because if everyone switches OS to Linux then all the crap that haunts Windoze will haunt Linux too and that would suck. even better if Micro$oft would release the source code they claim is theirs...ehem...then Windoze would gain ground on efficiency and utilization. Remember Linux came to be from hackers that designed an OS to do what THEY wanted it to do. If you want to pay for the rest of your life then stay with Windoze, please.

If you want to pay for the rest of your life then stay with Windoze, please.
Please...windows comes on virtually every new pc. You can buy a decent laptop for $450 and either install Linux, or you can keep the windows OS that it came with, but the laptop will still cost you the $450.
Windows trys to be a standard. In many respects they've acheived that goal. Not by the quality of their system, but by the mass deployment of their product. People now know it, and have become complacent. I've used 3 or four bad Linux builds for every one bad MS build. But theres also alot more to choose from Open Source.
It all comes down to your needs, you choose the right tool for the job!

Sorry Kevin but Microsoft doesn't care one iota about the consumer. If they did the programmers would be allowed to design a system that is wholly compatible with everything out there. They would likely get out of the browser business but greed keeps them from making wise decisions. There's huge money in being a monopoly, we see it everyday. The sole reason behind the deployment of 7 is pure business. micro$oft wants business' which make up a huge percentage of their sales to switch to 7 from XP. Since the Vista-disaster Micro$oft has made it their mission get richer and richer on the backs of the working people and business'. how could anyone with sound mind support such a company by propagating it's technology. This kind of monopoly and avaricious business practice has got Micro$oft's ass kicked in Europe. But here in North America we are under the spell of ignorance and greed and believe in wasting money. If want a sub-standard operating system that is constantly under attack, perpetually in-efficient, in constant disarray, loaded with DRM, has lobbied the gov't for monoply rights, etc, etc, then this is the OS for you. I've been doing this for many years so no-one can tell me how Micro$oft has got better - they have just got richer and we stand proudly by as ignorant fools, open our wallets and say 'Thank you sir, May I have another'

If they did the programmers would be allowed to design a system that is wholly compatible with everything out there. They would likely get out of the browser business but greed keeps them from making wise decisions. There's huge money in being a monopoly, we see it everyday. The sole reason behind the deployment of 7 is pure business. micro$oft wants business' which make up a huge percentage of their sales to switch to 7 from XP. Since the Vista-disaster Micro$oft has made it their mission get richer and richer on the backs of the working people and business'. how could anyone with sound mind support such a company by propagating it's technology. This kind of monopoly and avaricious business practice has got Micro$oft's ass kicked in Europe. But here in North America we are under the spell of ignorance and greed and believe in wasting money. If want a sub-standard operating system that is constantly under attack, perpetually in-efficient, in constant disarray, loaded with DRM, has lobbied the gov't for monoply rights, etc, etc, then this is the OS for you. I've been doing this for many years so no-one can tell me how Micro$oft has got better - they have just got richer and we stand proudly by as ignorant fools, open our wallets and say 'Thank you sir, May I have another'
Theres some truth in what you say.....and some falicies. First of all, it is in the best interest of a corporation to be the only one on the block. Yes MS is proprietary, but so are most products from all manufacturers. There are no mandated standards, and the legislatures that could regulate are too uninformed as to what those standards should be. And don't think for a minute that once a Linux builder sees dollar signs that they won't jump at it..i.e.RedHat. Another thing, most Linux builds have different areas where they need to be improved, and in no way was Linux not under constant attack too! What MS does, is it give you time to do the tasks you have to do for your job instead of constantly trying to maintain an open source build thaat may or may not be good.

I have used Linux just as long as I've used Windows and I'll continue to do so.. I like Linux alot, and I like Windows just as much!.. Each have their advantages and disadvantages.. ;)

The visuals alone in Linux give it a huge edge over Windows in my opinion.. The fact that it uses very little RAM also helps.. ;) Linux is one of those OS's that you can install on an aging machine and it breathes new life into it.. Good fu*king luck getting those kind of results with Windows..

This is certainly a good debate topic.. I'll stop for now though.. ;)

I have also used both, I enjoy tweaking windows, whether it is visual styles, different programs, registry tweaks, batch files whatever. Most of my friends say that I am an above average user, however I turn on Linux (any flavor), and I just get disgusted. No matter what I do, I have to go and download something else, in order to write a program that will download another program that will do what I want done, which is to install a different program. (***I am exaggerating greatly please don't complain I know I am being an *##^*!# it is meant as a joke). I actually like the way Linux operates, as far as hardware and resources goes. My old pc never has ran that fast, and really it is not that difficult to operate.
However, I just like the simplicity of windows. If I want to write a batch file, open notepad and write an instruction to place in a windows file to make something act the way I want it to, I can, most of the time. But if I am lazy right then, I can just download a program install it, and go on. Besides to me windows is more of a challenge when I do decide to write my own script.

Side Note:
One thing I hate, is when I read an article on the 'net, about either OS (or Mac), and the first 15 responses are bashers, haters, & changers.
I'm glad you like operating system- 123, it may or may not be the one I like, even if it is, I don't think that gives you the right to tell me I am an idiot because I don't use it. I'll have to check the cosmic rule book just to be sure.
A discussion like the one in this thread is fine. I think it's great that people can discuss their differences politely.
OK, I'll get off my soapbox now, sorry about the rant, I have seen 4 other pages tonight, (different places, not here) where this was going on, and I mean people were downright _________ (fill in the blank with your favorite expletive). I for one am tired of it, and have left my comments on every thread I have seen.

I myself have loved the linix versions i have tried. Yea you have to use wine if your a gamer which i am. I dont use linux for games though. I like going outside the box and trying new things so i duel boot windows and linux. If i didnt play games i would use linux as my main os!

The reason I love and use Linux is...well, Windows. I got tired of being behind on updates, bugs that took months to sort out. Linux just works, there's learning involved, unlike my experience with windows, which was just work. it's easy to customize and there is a ton of support. can't forget the free aspect, and not just 'free beer' but truly free in principle

I agree messyhair42 but keep in perspective the amount of end users of the Linux OS directly effects how long 'free' will stay 'free'. The same can be said of malware directed at Linux which would increase with the number of users.
If Micro$oft would release their source code it would probally be a great OS since us hackers would ultimately design it to function to suit OUR needs not vise-versa.
I flat out refuse to turn people on to Linux for those reasons. I offer support in Linux forums and that is it.

hey windows now will be the worst os ever because snow leopard released and beats windows with BIG difference and the new ubuntu karmic koala 9.10 too is doing it this moment and if you see here Link Removed - Invalid URL
here Link Removed due to 404 Error and here Ubuntu 9.10 alpha 5 available for download, gears up for October release all the OS are good except windows because he copied unix and then bill gates said "it's unix like" and these OS especially ubuntu 9.10 will be better on gaming with wine!

Well I've used all three big OS's and I have to say I prefer windows. The biggest factor being that people make their programs for windows. All the little obscure third party programs usually only are for windows. Mac looks prettier and Linux is faster, but Windows is easy. I was using Mandriva for a while with a dual boot, but after a while I realized it wasn't benefiting me to use Linux instead of Windows at all.

So while it may be a better OS, its not as practical.

yeah your spot on there pal.. ive used open suse 11.1.. ubuntu 10.4 windows 7 ult.. windows vista.. windows XP pro ...windows home..
ubuntu & linux you cant beat it.. alltho windows 7 comes very very close lol

ans best os for me is mac but don't have the money to get :([/QUOTE]

Sorry but Linux in my experience is not user friendly unlike Windows which is. It is just too fiddley and diddicult to use.Andrea Borman.

I'm sorry Andrea but your experience as you outlined it in the Win 7 forum does no justice to Linux.

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-discussion/52649-should-you-install-linux-alongside-windows.html

You report running it in a virtual environment from within Win 7.
As I suggested in my response in that forum run a Linux distro from Live media (in the case of your netbook Live USB flash)
and then if you think it's too fiddly then OK.
I'd bet that if you run it from live media your opinion might change.
For best results the latest Ubuntu (Ubuntu 10.10) is a good choice.
It has the latest versions of many programs and should connect to your wireless effortlessly.
Ubuntu uses the gnome desktop that much resembles Windows.

Of course if all you want to do is bash linux then ignore my comments here and in the thread you posted in thw Win 7 forum.

Last edited:
I think you guys should stop the whole Windows Vs Linux thing is childish and stupid you guys. They are two different products and what you want to use, like or prefer or not is your opinion.
Personally I like them both. I dual boot WIn7 and Ubuntu.
I prefer linux when it comes to how you can customize and tweak things and get rid of bugs and stuff.
On the other hand, Windows is more child/noob friendly I think. Windows will always be a slow working OS because of the way it's "plugged" together. You need anti spyware, virus, malware etc and you need to clean up your registry and do all this defrog stuff.
Stuff like that is very annoying if you use your PC for important things.
But windows is better when it comes to commercial games, because that's where the money is.
There is no money involved in Linux so game developers will have a hard time making a decent good game for Linux.
Well, there are many good games you can play on linux unless you prefer the top 20 list of new hot games.
And I think linux is userfriendly. Now, I have only tried a few linux distros but I must say, most of them are pretty userfriendly and noob friendly but that depends on what distro you go for.
And I think, the only reason some people think Windows is more user friendly is because they are used to the Windows way of thinking and doing things. If you want to succeed in something you must be willing to learn.
Also, everything in linux is free, and imo most of the software are better because they are open source and you can add or remove things you need or not.
I think windows is more child friendly because it's very closed and you can't tweak and customize that much unless you install a 3rd party software. This isn't a bad thing if you like it that way but it all depends on what you like and how you like it.
The thing I hated when I started using Ubuntu, is the way you install things manually.
In windows you can move the unzipped folder to program files, but in linux you have 5 folders.
This is a good system cuz the application command is the same as the app name since all the executable files are in the same folder name. This can be a pain in the *** for a noob but it's really not that hard when you do it a few times.
If you are a gamer, use windows or dual boot. And if you are a student, if you use your pc to work or surfing the web, music and videos, I would go for Linux since everything goes faster and you don't have to worry about viruses, spyware, etc..
Wow, the longest message ever :)

Back