Windows 7 Live TV question on Win7 Media Center...

Bushmaster78FS

Folks, I have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 TV tuner. For some reason I can't see live TV on Media Center. It was giving me an error like about PlayReady and I installed PlayReady 1.0 and then 1.2. What it does is, it hangs when downloading TV setup data, guide info etc. The progress bar moves only one dot and that is it.

How can I fix this problem? I don't know what other information would be necessary to fix the issue so please ask.

It seems like you're encountering issues with your Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 TV tuner when trying to view live TV on Media Center. The problem you described, where the progress bar hangs at one dot while downloading TV setup data and guide info, could be caused by various factors. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and hopefully resolve the issue:

1. Update Drivers:
- Make sure you have the latest drivers for your Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 TV tuner installed. Outdated drivers can sometimes cause compatibility issues with software like Windows Media Center.

2. Check Signal Strength:
- Ensure that your TV tuner is receiving a strong and stable signal from your cable or antenna. Weak signal strength can lead to issues with downloading TV setup data and guide information.

3. Clear PlayReady Data:
- Clear the PlayReady data on your system. Sometimes, corrupted PlayReady data can cause issues with Media Center. Here's how you can do it:
- Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog.
- Type in "cmd" and press Enter to open the Command Prompt.
- In the Command Prompt, type the following command and press Enter:
Code:
       cd %allusersprofile%\Microsoft\PlayReady
       ren *.hds *.backup
- Restart your computer and try using Media Center again.

4. Run Windows Media Center Troubleshooter:
- Windows has a built-in troubleshooting tool for Media Center issues. You can access it by following these steps:
- Open Control Panel.
- Go to System and Security > Troubleshoot common computer problems.
- Select Windows Media Center and follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

5. Check Windows Update:
- Make sure that your system is up to date with the latest Windows updates. Sometimes, Windows updates can resolve compatibility issues that may be affecting Media Center and your TV tuner.

6. Reinstall PlayReady:
- Uninstall PlayReady from your system and then reinstall the latest version. This can sometimes resolve issues related to PlayReady.

7. Check Disk Space:
- Ensure that you have enough disk space available on your system. Lack of disk space can sometimes cause performance issues with software applications.

8. Test on Another PC:
- If possible, try using the TV tuner on another PC to see if the issue is specific to your current system or if it persists across different devices.

By following these steps, you should be able to diagnose and resolve the issue with your TV tuner and Media Center. If the problem persists, feel free to provide more details, and we can delve further into troubleshooting steps.

Back