Windows 7 Lock Icon

sonicman

Greetings, I did a search and could not locate this, sorry if it has been covered;

When I copy pictures off my camera (nikon d-90) using the supplied software, my transfered pictures have a lock icon on them in the lower left of the thumbnail. If i copy, cut and past the picture a few times this icon goes away. I was just wondering why this icon is there? When i ran the software in Vista I never had this show up.

I have checked ALL setting in Nikon Transfer and there is no setting that i can see that could cause this, leading me to supect something that Windows 7 is doing.

This is a new in 7.
The permissions on the file are set for your access only, or inheriting permissions from the parent directory. Most likely your profile, they are saving to the pictures folder or my documents.

If another user logs in and tries to access them, they may be prompted by UAC, or have to provide credentials to view the picture. You will see the icon on other folders such as Your User Profile.

When you moved the files, if you moved them to a different drive, where permissions are set for everyone access, the lock should disappear.

I will research this later to see what I can find out.

Right click on picture, the scroll down to share with, then click on specific people.... Then in the drop down window select everyone, then click add, then share, the done......

Back