Windows Vista locks up

dtandukar

hello, my vista locks up after 1 minute or so and i can do nothing, i have to shutdown it with the power button. how do i solve this problem?

regards,
Deependra

Hi!!! Can you tell me exactly when this problem started ? Did you down load any new programs for example?? There several things that can cause the problem, sometimes something simple like a conflicting new program can be the culprit. In which case it should be removed or make a restore point. Sincerely, Celestra

Hi dtandukar

There could be many reasons why this is happening.
What version of Vista are you running and what are the specs. of your rig?.
Has this problem only started after upgrading or installing new hardware or software?
Give as much info. about the problem as you can !

Ditto.... More info is needed before we can help you dtandukar..
Welcome to the forum by the way :D

thanks, here is the details:

system:
Dell Latitude D530
Windows vista business
RAM: 2GB
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

The problem started after once I had to shutdown the system with power button. Nothing else i could recall I did.

Best,
Deependra

Hi!! Do you use more than one anti-virus program?? The Dells have something funny to system lock-up. There are also problems with Microsoft Windows R. Dell does not recommend that you shut down the way you did, unless absolutely necessary because of data loss. There are Dell Support articles that you may want to read. #286481 Multiple Antivirus Programs May Cause System Lock-Up. # 317983 How do I close a program that has stopped responding in Microsoft Windows R. - Does the mouse move at all across the screen ? Press the<Alt> key once and then the <Down Arrows> a few times. (Check Dell for common symptoms and problems in Microsoft Windows) Sincerely, Celestra Good Luck (P.S. To be on the safe side, have Norton give your computer a free virus scan.)

Hi dtandukar

Can you tell me if Vista Business was preinstalled or did you upgrade from other vista version.
Also what Security software are you running i.e..anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware etc.

hi, it was preinstalled and i have avg that as antivirus.

best,
deependra

Hi deependra

You might find from a little research on other forums that there were problems in the past with vista versions using AVG security software i.e. anti-virus
I can't say if they have all been resolved but it might be worthwhile switching it off or even uninstalling it to see if vista still locks up.
If you uninstall it you can substitute Avast free edition which is just as effective as AVG .
Perhaps some other forum members out there have had a similar problem??
Let deependra know

:) Hi!!!! I'm glad to hear you're alright, I was reading that article Kemical submitted about all the different viruses running around, and I thought what if that person has a virus- and they're locked up bad somewhere. Limping from website to website. If you remove your current anti-virus protection and replace it with another, and that still doesn't work. You might check your current Internet provider, they also carry anti-virus protection which may be setting your computer off.

Back