Windows Vista Login Screen Doesn't Show; Just a Black Screen. Only Safe Mode Works. PLZ HELP!!

Fiji

I know this is a common problem but mine differs from everyone else.
Here's the deal..
When I turn the computer on it never gets to the Login part. It just go to a black screen and stays there.
Although, it works when I start it in Safe Mode. This problem started Friday, May 29, 2009. I've been trying to fix this since then. I'm Sh!T broke so I can't just put everything on a Ext. Drive and start over.

FYI:
I did NOT mod my PC in anyway.

Its not a virus. I scanned it multiple times with AVG and Spyware Terminator. Although I did find quite a few Trojans. They were cleared up. I scanned it a couple more times and they're all gone. Still no help.

No installation disk came with it to repair it, which doesn't matter because it won't read disks properly.

My Drivers are up to date and working fine.

Its NOT Windows Explorer, its running and its working fine.

I did the whole "Start computer with last successful configuration." It got me in, but it became unbearably laggy and within 3 minutes a message came up that said "Windows encountered a problem. The system will shut down in one minute. Save your work." WTF?!

Cleaned out my Temp Folder.

Did the whole "Open msconfig, uncheck startup items, restart, blah blah blah"

And lastly, because I know some idiot will say it, I'll answer your question before you say it. YES!! I did google it. Nobody seems to have the exact problem I have because my Safe Mode IS still working.

[PLEASE READ THIS]
I would appreciate your help, but, plz don't respond saying" I have the same problem, It's driving me crazy, I don't know what to do!" Thats how the topic gets lost in randomness. Don't respond if you don't have a suggestion.

From what you say it sounds like a driver has become corrupted... I say this because you can boot up ok in safe mode..
Have you considered running the 'Repair' function found if you boot from the vista disk?

Edit: I just read your post again and conclude that you don't have a vista install disk...
Hmm.... you could try re-installing your drivers to see if that will help...

I actually just fixed it. LOL

I did find the installation disk in my closet. How I got it to work was I did the "Start computer with last successful configuration" thing again. That didn't fix it cuz it crash soon afterward but when I restarted the computer it FINALLY enabled the disk to be read in the start up. I then tried repair(didn't work), check memory for errors(didn't work), and then I did the restore point thing and unbelievably it worked. Even though I had tried it 5 times before.
Oh well, I'm relieved. Thanks anyway.

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for posting your question. I hope that you will stay with us and remain to help others, or to ask even further questions.

Did the whole "Open msconfig, uncheck startup items, restart, blah blah blah"

Guess what, I am going to ask you to check it again.

This will vary somewhat, but here is what you need to check first.

Go to Start -> Run -> msconfig

Or hold down the Windows Key + R

Type msconfig

Under the Boot tab, check to make sure that "No GUI Boot" is unchecked as shown in this image:

noguiboot.png

You may also want to check other settings in this area, and be careful not to change them. You will want a normal boot of your computer system.

And lastly, because I know some idiot will say it, I'll answer your question before you say it. YES!! I did google it. Nobody seems to have the exact problem I have because my Safe Mode IS still working.

Please do not refer individuals as idiots. We are online to help you resolve the problem.

If this does not solve the issue, we need to know when it started, what programs were installed or uninstalled during that time, and if anything in the event log corresponds with this error. SFC is your best bet in this instance, but in this case, it is very possible some area of the Windows OS has become corrupt.

If this method still does not work, it is possible that you have serious system file corruption. If that is the case, you may want to follow further instructions here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually just fixed it. LOL

I did find the installation disk in my closet. How I got it to work was I did the "Start computer with last successful configuration" thing again. That didn't fix it cuz it crash soon afterward but when I restarted the computer it FINALLY enabled the disk to be read in the start up. I then tried repair(didn't work), check memory for errors(didn't work), and then I did the restore point thing and unbelievably it worked. Even though I had tried it 5 times before.
Oh well, I'm relieved. Thanks anyway.

Interesting, as this had just appeared in my queue. I am glad that things are at 100% for you again. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom