Windows 7 Logitech Alternative

seekermeister

Honorable Member
I applied for an RMA on my M570 on 2-21-14, and received 4 responses spread out during this interval, the last of which I just read, and it said that my case was resolved, but if I hadn't received a reply to call them. I never received anything from them to resolve this one way or another, but at this point I'm not inclined to pay the cost of a long distance call, or waste any more time, when it is obvious to me that they are simply stonewalling me.

Therefore I need to find an alternative that is, as close as possible, equivalent to the M570, but with better quality and support. Does such a mouse exist?

Thanks, but that is a regular optical mouse that has to be shoved around, which is definitely not what I want. The M570 uses a trackball, which permits the mouse to remain stationary. Any alternative would have to operate in this fashion.

I did a quick look at that and it seems that the M570 is the only one of its kind (wireless trackball). The rest are wired. There are some other wireless out there but the designs doesn't look so ergonomic. It's not very surprising that M570 will easily wear or act out because of its moving part that is very prone to dust and dirt collection (at the ball area). Most regular mouse today are using the laser technology. I don't think there is a better alternative than what you have right now. It seems that you prefer a stationary mouse. What is the reason for that?

On an equally quick look, the only thing I found that is a wireless trackball is the Kingston Orbit:

Kingston Orbit

The problem with it that jumps at to me is that it is an index finger, instead of a thumb operated ball. I have a Logitech Trackman that has the ball on top like that, and I always hated it. Ironically, enough so that I lost "track" of it.

The problem I'm having with the M570s isn't the ball as you suggest, just the left and right mouse buttons themselves. I dislike shover mice for several reasons...I have a glass desk and I have to use a mouse pad for them to work. With or without a mouse pad, I've had more problems with the shovers properly detecting movement. I had more problems with keeping the optical lens clean with them than with the trackballs. I've found that the trackballs don't aggravate my carpal tunnel syndrome.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="seekermeister, post: 595397, member: 13587"
The problem with it that jumps at to me is that it is an index finger, [/QUOTE]

Yup. That is why I mentioned it's not designed properly or something to that effect.
If you don't find a good alternative, maybe time to change desk and for a mouse pad with wrist support. Good luck!

See...this is what's wrong with the world today...nobody is willing or wanting to except change....Change is inevitable! Perfect example: Windows 8....lol.

Seekermeister, How easy is that trackball mouse to tear down and clean....properly clean it. This is the closest thing I could find on a tear down....

See...this is what's wrong with the world today...nobody is willing or wanting to except change....Change is inevitable! Perfect example: Windows 8....lol.
I have no idea of what you think that W8 has to do with this problem?
Seekermeister, How easy is that trackball mouse to tear down and clean....properly clean it. This is the closest thing I could find on a tear down....
Interesting video, but it seems to have far less to do with cleaning than it does with replacing a switch. I guess he used the forward switch as the replacement, since it probably isn't possible or feasible to buy a new one. I may tinker with this later, but I can still use the mouse in a limited fashion for less important functions, and I'm not anxious to cripple that with an inept repair attempt.

LMAO....my comment about change and windows 8 was purely rhetorical!

As for your problem...you've never stated what your actual problem is with your M750 mouse from logitech. Other than you are RMA'ing it....
I applied for an RMA on my M570 on 2-21-14, and received 4 responses spread out during this interval, the last of which I just read, and it said that my case was resolved, but if I hadn't received a reply to call them. I never received anything from them to resolve this one way or another, but at this point I'm not inclined to pay the cost of a long distance call, or waste any more time, when it is obvious to me that they are simply stonewalling me.
... nothing in there describes your issue or problem your having with your mouse. If you asking for suggestion...I don't have any except for you to get another M570.

I hate a track ball mouse in the first place...I've never liked them...too damn hard to use when gaming...for me anyway.

I think that you hit it on the head with the video about chatter. Not exactly sure what that means, but it sounds like the problem I'm having. The left button is erratic, sometimes a single click will cause multiple clicks to be registered by the OS or software, at a speed faster than anyone could click, if they wanted to. Other times, one must click multiple times to get the OS/software to register one click. Considering the fact that this is the second M570 I've had with this problem, and this last one only lasted 6 months, and with Logitech's stonewalling, I'm not going to buy another.

I can understand your dislike of the mice, because it does take some getting used to, and they are never as good for gaming. However gaming is a second priority for me, and the simple games I play don't require a higher performance.

Last edited:
I think that you hit it on the head with the video about chatter. Not exactly sure what that means, but it sounds like the problem I'm having. The left button is erratic, sometimes a single click will cause multiple clicks to be registered by the OS or software, at a speed faster than anyone could click, if they wanted to. Other times, one must click multiple times to get the OS/software to register one click. Considering the fact that this is the second M570 I've had with this problem, and this last one only lasted 6 months, and with Logitech's stonewalling, I'm not going to buy another.

I can understand your dislike of the mice, because it does take some getting used to, and they are never as good for gaming. However gaming is a second priority for me, and the simple games I play don't require a higher performance.

Seeker, are you using the logitech driver or the generic driver for that trackball? I have an issue with my graphic tablet but it's no big deal. What happens is sometimes the driver just seem to disappear and the tablet automatically switches to the generic driver which is causing the stylus pen to be erratic. Whenever I have that "erratic problem", I just install again the driver and the problem goes away. I'm thinking maybe you also have driver issue.

This is the graphic tablet I am talking about:

wacom.jpg

I've taken plenty of mice apart and gave them a going blowing out and use a excellent quality horse hair paint brush to physically clean the PCB in the mouse (great for no static build up). I've not had the chance to take apart a track ball mouse. I would use that torx #6 screw driver and take it apart, blow it out, brush off any lent/dust that may be left behind. If that track ball is anything like the old mice with the ball in the bottom and had those wheels inside...the gunk build up was terrible in about 3 months...I was for ever taking those apart and cleaning them.

Seeker, are you using the logitech driver or the generic driver for that trackball? I have an issue with my graphic tablet but it's no big deal. What happens is sometimes the driver just seem to disappear and the tablet automatically switches to the generic driver which is causing the stylus pen to be erratic. Whenever I have that "erratic problem", I just install again the driver and the problem goes away. I'm thinking maybe you also have driver issue.

This is the graphic tablet I am talking about:

I'm not aware of any generic driver for these mice. I use Logitech Setpoint on both of them in Windows. In Suse, it loads it's own driver for them, which appears to be different from each other, but I'm uncertain of that. I really don't think this has anything to do with the drivers though.

I've taken plenty of mice apart and gave them a going blowing out and use a excellent quality horse hair paint brush to physically clean the PCB in the mouse (great for no static build up). I've not had the chance to take apart a track ball mouse. I would use that torx #6 screw driver and take it apart, blow it out, brush off any lent/dust that may be left behind. If that track ball is anything like the old mice with the ball in the bottom and had those wheels inside...the gunk build up was terrible in about 3 months...I was for ever taking those apart and cleaning them.

When I get around to attempting the repair in the video, that will be the opportune moment for cleaning. Never know, it might help.

I decided to go ahead and attempt the disassembly and repair of this mouse, but wish I hadn't. None of the drivers in my Torx set will fit the screws holding the internal PCB and switch. Even if one did, I still wouldn't have accomplished anything, because I still don't understand how he used the forward switch as the original replacement, because it's dimensions are very different than the switch for the left button. It doesn't surprise me that a repair using it failed, and I have no idea of where to acquire a new Omron switch to use. Since my repair attempt failed, there was no reason to clean anything, but then again, as far as I can see, nothing needs cleaning. I guess this M570 is headed for the mouse mortuary.

Looking closer, I think that the internal screws are phillips, not torx. Not sure I have a phillips small enough, so I guess it's time to order another set. Also, I found some new micro switches available cheaply:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251336865844?lpid=82

So I'm going to order some of them also. I thoroughly dislike having to go to the expense and hassle of having to repair a mouse that is (or was, until I dissembled it), but since the M570 seems to be the only mouse in it's class, I guess I'll have to.

Thanks, but that is a regular optical mouse that has to be shoved around, which is definitely not what I want. The M570 uses a trackball, which permits the mouse to remain stationary. Any alternative would have to operate in this fashion.

You didn't mention how you arrived at the "ergonomic" trackball layout--whether you tried other trackballs and found that you preferred that one or it looked like a good design and you tried it first and liked it. I'm left-handed, so I haven't found an ergo layout. However, I've been using the Logitech T-BC21 for years. You have more dexterity with your fingers than your thumb, and I like the control you get with a center-mount ball. I have several of these, probably a decade old, and have never had one fail. You might be burned out on Logitech "customer service", but if they have a product you really like, sometime you just have to suck it up. These gadgets are cheap enough that if you get a bunch of years of use out of one, it doesn't break the bank to just replace it. If you also want the wireless feature, they make a wireless version: T-RB22.

Back
Top Bottom