Windows 10 Lost Features

Joe S

Excellent Member
Well after Windows 7 it seems like MS has been paring down features on each new release. My understanding is that XP mode from Windows 7 will be removed in Windows 10. What about Hyper V does that still work Windows 10? I've got Windows 7 Ultimate and it had a feature that was dropped in Windows 8. It has the ability to make a bootable virtual HD. Basically a folder instead of partitioning the disk. When you are done you simply delete the virtual HD and don't have to mess with repartitioning. It was nice for testing Windows 8 because you were running on the actual hardware and not in a virtual machine. With Windows 10 I just stayed with VMware Player since there were so many bugs.
Joe

Trouble is Joe as these operating systems reach the end of their respected supported lifecycle then functionality will degrade.

I realize the lifecycle thing but it seems like MS is taking away popular stuff and replacing them things that aren't so well liked Cortana and Edge to name a couple and then the auto update. The overall appearance since Windows 8 has some webpages and software looking like they were made on notepad.
Joe

I couldn't tell you about Cortana (not available for Australians yet) and the updates thing reminds me of a certain button Microsoft decided was so last week but if you want to know what DOES have many of my customers up in arms, it's the dropping of the games! Remember those old crappie things, well the guys and girls down at my local SSC (senior citizens club) asked me to come and un-install windows 10 from the new machine the council gave them because they didn't like the sound of that Mike-guy taking their hearts away. I managed to placate them somewhat by setting up a store account and they have agreed to give 10 another month or two before deciding.

p.s. Thanks for the nice cake mum… any one for Mah-jong?:oops::rolleyes:

This might please some of your old geysers. I have the same "help" hobby, and several were ecstatic about them. The REALLY old games.

go here and download the "MsGames_Win8...etc

Sorry. I have removed this link as it has now become corrupted and spammed.

All run on Windows 10, also.

Last edited:
Just posted this on another forum but, in this thread context, worth repeating.

"There are some strong indications that MS are tying up some lose ends now. I received an Email regarding the above, referring to a couple of small items I use in the store. As an (unimportant) example, for those users who like to pass the time on some of the card games, the MS solitaire collection has finally been updated. You are automatically taken through a few hoops, to integrate with Xbox games. Old data is loaded and all is now working with achievements, etc.. "

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Yeah the loss of the in built games is saddening for me, I play free cell a lot even on linux

Hi

If you want to get the old Free-cell, Chess etc. back there is a way to do it.
Personally I can't live without them. LOL

I've been playing it throughout the Windows 10 testing.
It was one of the first things I did when I started using W10.

You will need to find a computer still running Windows 7.

I made a DVD with all the stuff on it so that I can just pop it in and have the old games installed in a few minutes.

You will need to copy the old Microsoft Games folder from the Windows 7 computer and the CardGames.dll file from somewhere in the Windows folder, I think it's the System 32 folder, but it's not present in Windows 10.

Place the Microsoft Games folder in the Program Files folder.
Copy the CardGames.dll to each of the Games folders, (one in the FreeCell Folder, one in the Chess folder etc.

Then you have to run a little program that changes the registry to make it work.

Well, I just looked for the patch program that enables the old games online and I couldn't find it.
I found one place but the file is a different size so I'm not sure I can trust it.

I have it so if anyone is interested I'll see if I can upload it.

It does set off all kinds of security bells and whistles because it's an .exe file and Windows sees it as malware, I had to turn off Malwarebytes to run it.

I can say that I've used it dozens of times since Windows 8 came out with no ill effects, It's only about 950kb and no malware is detected once it has been run.

I'm pretty sure that I lot of people here have used it, this was a discussion back when Windows 8 came out.

FreeCell_zpswjplndpu.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
Referring to my post "5.

When I read Mike's post, I had another look at the link I originally posted. I have removed it, as it would be unfair for members to go to the site, which has been heavily hacked.

The program is
msgames_win8:x64.msi if anyone wants to google for a replacement link. I have had it in my store for a long time, but cannot upload it to this site because of its size (90,393 KB) It is worthwhile though, as it is just aa straightforward installation- no spam, adverts etc...

Hi

The one I have is named "Microsoft Game Patcher 1.2".
It is 926K.

It just adds the commands necessary to make the games work to the registry.
You still have to copy and paste in all the files from Windows 7.

This is the original file that I downloaded years ago.

Mike

Reviving this thread.

I have just uploaded the Windows 7/8 games. These are fully compatible with Windows 10. The server is very slow, so be patient.

Edit 2nd January. This link has expired. I'll get a new one up
OK. Two links for you. (x86 & x64) It is on a local language server, but don't worry if you cannot understand the context - it is fairly explanatory. The site and the downloads are safe. If the Admin, however, have apprehensions about them, they may feel free to remove them..

msgames_win8_x64.msi
msgames_win8_x86.msi

Last edited:
Well I have decided not to use Windows 10, so I am still using Windows 7.
I also use Windows sometimes and that suits me just fine.
You can also use Windows Vista which is supported for another 18 months that also works well on my netbooks.
One of the many reasons I have not upgraded to Windows 10 is because they have removed all of the features that were in Windows 7 and 8. And you can't even disable automatic updates which is not fair.

But I did try the tester build of Windows 10 last year and all of my Windows XP software worked on it Including the Windows XP games which should work on the 32 bit version.
Okay I know there are things you can do to make Windows 10 more like Windows 7 but most of the main functions are gone. And nobody has yet found a way to disable automatic updates in 10 which has put me off of upgrading. I will probably still be using Windows 7 after it expires in 2020 since I hate Windows 10.

Hi

The old games wouldn't work on my computers until I ran the registry hack thing.
After that I haven't had any problems, I've done this on several computers in both Windows 8 and Windows 10.

I really prefer the old games to the apps.

I have a DVD that has both the old games and the patcher on it, so I can do the whole install from it.

Mike

Hi

I did download and install the games from, msgames_win8_x64.msi, and it did work on my computer.
FreeCell looks just like the old one and seems to be exactly the same as far as I can see.

I have both versions installed the one that I had originally and the new one.
It looks much better then the app version.

Mike

Hi

Mine look exactly the same, but I notice that neither one of them is labeled Microsoft Software Collection.
I think that it's opening the same one no matter which installation I open it from.

I installed the new one in Drive "D:\Program Files2" just so I was sure that I knew which was which.

I opened it from the .exe file in the folder so I know that I didn't open the same one twice.

Mike

I found another Icon that opened a different version, that doesn't look like either of the ones shown.

PS. I have to leave now but when I get a chance I'll post a screenshot of it.

Hi

The old games wouldn't work on my computers until I ran the registry hack thing.
After that I haven't had any problems, I've done this on several computers in both Windows 8 and Windows 10.

I really prefer the old games to the apps.

I have a DVD that has both the old games and the patcher on it, so I can do the whole install from it.

Mike
Yes it's true that the Windows 7 games won't work at all on Windows 8 or Windows 10. Unless you use the Windows 7 Games Patcher.
Which you can get from My Digital Life Forums.
The problem is that both MSE and Windows Defender flags it as malware and won't let you run it.
Though t Windows XP Games work fine on 8 and 10 and you don't need to patch anything to run them. If you have a copy of XP you can get the files off of that and paste them on Windows 8. This should also work on Windows 10.

Hi

Your right that Windows flags the patch as malware, but it's never stopped me from running it.

I have it on a DVD along with the old games from Windows 7, and one of the first things I do on a new computer is get it out and install them.

The creepy part it that weird music it plays when it runs the patch.

Mike

Hi

Your right that Windows flags the patch as malware, but it's never stopped me from running it.

I have it on a DVD along with the old games from Windows 7, and one of the first things I do on a new computer is get it out and install them.

The creepy part it that weird music it plays when it runs the patch.

Mike
Yep, I noticed that. The annoying music.
But when I tried to patch the games it did not work, so it could be WD blocking it.
The games from Windows XP work on Windows and they should work on 10. I prefer the original XP version of Solitaire an the other games to the Windows 7 ones anyway.

How do I get my Movie Maker back as I clicked in it and up came box I said no the first time.I clicked it again and said yes and it is now gone.I don't see it the menu.

Back
Top Bottom