Windows 10 Lost Features

Age, this probobly should be a different thread, but if you Google "Windows movie maker" one of the first links is a Windows link to the installer for the app. Beware, the app is no longer supported for Windows 10, despite still working fine.

Last edited:
Hi Age,
Hey, Good question there!:teeth::star: I didn't even realize that Movie Maker was gone from the Clean Install.:shocked: Check out this YouTube video that explains it and shows you how to get it back (through download of Microsoft Windows Essentials):

Here's a direct link to get it at from MS website too:
Movie Maker - Microsoft Windows

Lastly, here's a link from MS that sort of explains that it's gone and tells you where to go to get it or an equivalent:
Where is Movie Maker in Windows 10? - Windows Help -

Probably an overkill for you after the video; but it might be useful to explain to others what happened to it in more detail.
P.S. The YouTube video is real short; only about 3 min. so it's easy-peasy.

Best,
BBJ

Reactions: Age
How do I get my Movie Maker back as I clicked in it and up came box I said no the first time.I clicked it again and said yes and it is now gone.I don't see it the menu.
I'm not using Windows 10 at the moment. But I did test it out on the Windows 10 Beta build last year when it first came out.
Both Windows Movie Maker 2.6 and Movie Maker 6 worked on 10 and so did Windows Live movie Maker. So it should still work on 10. I used the 32 bit version BTW.

You can download MM 2.6 and MM 6 from here:
Get the Good Old Movie Maker 2.6 in Windows Vista and Later - AskVG

Blaine's Movie Maker Blog: Installing Windows Movie Maker 6.0 on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Age
Well after Windows 7 it seems like MS has been paring down features on each new release. My understanding is that XP mode from Windows 7 will be removed in Windows 10. What about Hyper V does that still work Windows 10? I've got Windows 7 Ultimate and it had a feature that was dropped in Windows 8. It has the ability to make a bootable virtual HD. Basically a folder instead of partitioning the disk. When you are done you simply delete the virtual HD and don't have to mess with repartitioning. It was nice for testing Windows 8 because you were running on the actual hardware and not in a virtual machine. With Windows 10 I just stayed with VMware Player since there were so many bugs.
Joe

are you asking a question @Gary Thomas?

p.s, yes Hyper-v does still work in Windows 10 however it does not trust the host by default like w8.1 did so for workgroup senarios there is some extra stuffing about

I was trying to post yesterday that I have used both VM Ware and oracle to create virtual disks. But a Win10 update was messing with me. Two hours on the phone and remote desk with MS got things straightened out.

One feature I miss the most is that i cant view the Details Plane and the Preview Plane simultaneously. Any way to achieve this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One feature I miss the most is that i cant view the Details Plane and the Preview Plane simultaneously. Any way to achieve this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would just change the layout to 'Details' this layout is the same thing as the details pane.

I have reinstalled Windows 10 about 10 times since it came out due to things crashing beyond repair.
Even "refreshing" the drive didn't work, it needed a full clean install after formatting hard drive.

Hi

You can still get the classic games and without all the hassles that I had to do back when this thread started.

Get Windows 7 games for Windows 10

it works great, I copied the whole thing to a DVD and labeled it so I always have the install handy when I set up a new computer.
I scanned the file with Malwarebytes both before and after installing it, and found no problems.

Note that the link for the download is about halfway down the page, not the link at the top.

Mike

My problem is " disk 100%" hic :)
------------------------------------------
Post By Inaxbm

@Age

Windows Movie Maker was a simple, free video editor that was last updated in 2012 and officially discontinued last year. Windows 8 and 10 launched without a video editing app, but following the Fall Creator's Update, there's now one included in the Microsoft Photos app – if you know where to look.

or

You'll need to download the installer for Windows Essentials 2012, which can be found here.

Back
Top Bottom