Windows 7 Lost Libraries

erikcave

For some reason my Libraries have all disappeared. When I click my computer, libraries is selected by default, but the window is blank. If I click new library, I get this error:

unable to create the file 'new library.library-ms'
Access is denied.

If I right click on Libraries and select restore default libraries, nothing happens. All my documents, pictures, music, ect are in the correct folders and can be accessed by navigating there in my computer.

Any help is appreciated.

I think you're having the same problem as someone else. Sorry to just quote myself, but here.

I have the same problem with many of my folders as well.
Its the way they have things sharing now, I think.

If you have shared this folder previously, and then removed the share, for some reason windows does not consider you the proper owner anymore (even if your account name still shows up as owner).

To fix, I have to reshare the folder. If I remove the share once more, I get the same issues all over again.

I hope something is being/has been done about this because it is just counter intuitive.

I just tested it out myself and it also temporarily removed the link to my library.
To fix I had to simply locate the actual folder and access it. Windows tells me I dont have permission, blah blah blah... Continue.
Poof it's back into the library, but unfortunately unless you share the folder again it doesnt want to give you write permissions. If anybody knows a more official fix (getting back write permissions without re-enabling the share) it would be appreciated.

Thanks for the tips, but they didn't work for me. I do have shares to my xbox, but haven't removed any of them. I tried removing them and re-sharing them, but nothing appeared in Libraries.

I should mention that it did do the thing where when I went into each folder (documents, pictures, etc...) where it says you don't have permission to be there, and now the picture screen saver works, where it wasn't before.

Ok, I fixed my problem by going to this folder:
c:\users\%username%\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\libraries
It told me I didn't have permission and I said go there anyway and now my libraries are back.

Last edited:
I am having the same issue and beginning to wonder if it is because Windows 7 is installed on a partition (G drive). I can navigate to G:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries and see Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos. If i select 'New folder' I get an error: 0x80004005: Unspecified error. When I select try again it works.

Also, if I select Document, Pictures, or Music from the start menu nothing happens.

Another anoying thing, while in Libraries if I select "New library" I get an error "Unable to create the file 'New Library.library-ms' File System error (16389)

Windows 7 RTM
32bit

Looks like %APPDATA% environment was not set on this account. I deleted the user and then recreated it and all is well now.

Back