Lost Partition after sharing it

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Drives, May 28, 2009.

1. Drives

Drives New Member

Hello,

I shared a partition in 7 to access some files from my laptop and now today it's as if the partition was never formated, coincidence?? Its on the same drive that I installed 7 on, actually it's one of 3 partitions on that drive.
    Only wish that it didn't happen to a partition that had so much info on it!!!!
    Is there anything that can be done to recover my files? Maybe some good software?
    I tryed a system restore and that didn't work. Oh ya I also realized that you can't unrestore a restore point in 7 eather and that sucks!!!
    The other thing I tryed was to access it from the XP side of this PC, but it had the same problems so it's definately a lost partition.

Help

2. Drives

Drives New Member

Update

Well I figured out that when I shared this partition somehow it lost all permissions to access it.

I don't know much about assigning permissions for drives or files but I'm figuring it out. I have to take ownership of each folder and then I can use it,,,, what a pain!!

Anyone ever hear of a problem like this?

3. zibiam

zibiam New Member

Yea sems too be access problem, ul need too take ownership back for that hardrive, i had same issues whit folders when i did a clean install of windows 7 RC.

4. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

Drives,

I don't know if you're running the 32-bit edition, but there is a patch from Windows Update that fixes permission problems. It does not apply to the 64-bit edition.

5. Drives

Drives New Member

Thanks for the info. Running the x64, sorry should have added that right away.
    When I shared that partition, for some reason it changed the icon for that letter to a removable drive icon in my computer. I was able to remove the files I needed then formatted the drive, but no luck, same icon.
    I did find a way around it, once formatted I changed the drive letter. Kinda cheating I know but it works. At least I have the drive back.

Didn't start the pc in XP yet, I'll do that tonight, don't have 10 minutes to wait for it to start. It's so nice when I turn 7 cold and in less than 2 minutes I can use it.

Only wish it would sleep without restarting constantly. It always worked in XP, but not in 7, RC or beta.... hmm

Still love this operating sys..

#5 Drives, May 30, 2009
    Last edited: May 30, 2009