Windows 7 Lost Partition after sharing it

Drives

Hello,

I shared a partition in 7 to access some files from my laptop and now today it's as if the partition was never formated, coincidence?? Its on the same drive that I installed 7 on, actually it's one of 3 partitions on that drive.
Only wish that it didn't happen to a partition that had so much info on it!!!!
Is there anything that can be done to recover my files? Maybe some good software?
I tryed a system restore and that didn't work. Oh ya I also realized that you can't unrestore a restore point in 7 eather and that sucks!!!
The other thing I tryed was to access it from the XP side of this PC, but it had the same problems so it's definately a lost partition.

Help

Update

Well I figured out that when I shared this partition somehow it lost all permissions to access it.

I don't know much about assigning permissions for drives or files but I'm figuring it out. I have to take ownership of each folder and then I can use it,,,, what a pain!!

Anyone ever hear of a problem like this?

Yea sems too be access problem, ul need too take ownership back for that hardrive, i had same issues whit folders when i did a clean install of windows 7 RC.

Drives,

I don't know if you're running the 32-bit edition, but there is a patch from Windows Update that fixes permission problems. It does not apply to the 64-bit edition.

Thanks for the info. Running the x64, sorry should have added that right away.
When I shared that partition, for some reason it changed the icon for that letter to a removable drive icon in my computer. I was able to remove the files I needed then formatted the drive, but no luck, same icon.
I did find a way around it, once formatted I changed the drive letter. Kinda cheating I know but it works. At least I have the drive back.

Didn't start the pc in XP yet, I'll do that tonight, don't have 10 minutes to wait for it to start. It's so nice when I turn 7 cold and in less than 2 minutes I can use it.

Only wish it would sleep without restarting constantly. It always worked in XP, but not in 7, RC or beta.... hmm

Still love this operating sys..

Last edited:
Back