Lost right click function

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by brucewilsonpa, Jul 9, 2009.

1. brucewilsonpa

brucewilsonpa New Member

I've been running Win7 RC1 build 7260 for more than a week on my ThinkPad x200s -- without any msg. or other warning I've lost my right click functionality in Win Explorer and my PowerDeskPro programs -- now when I right click on virtually anything I get a msg. that Win Explorer is shutting down, which it does, then restarts (most of the time). I'm baffled as to why this is happening. I have had some difficulty with software that doesn't work in Win7 but by installing it in Vista SP2 compatibility mode most of it has been OK.

Can anyone suggest a direction to look to restore my right click functionality -- that's something I use a lot.

Thanks!

2. busydog

busydog New Member

Try SFC /SCANNOW from an elevated command prompt. It has fixed a number of Win7 problems by making all of the system files pristine.

3. brucewilsonpa

brucewilsonpa New Member

Thanks -- sorry I'm dense but I'm not sure what you mean by "SFC" -- is that a directory?

4. busydog

busydog New Member

Open a command prompt (go to start/accessories) and type "SFC /SCANNOW"

You may have to insert your install disk.

5. fjgold

fjgold New Member

SFC is System File Checker. The command SFC /SCANNOW tells your system to check your system's dll's and other vital system files for corruption and replaces them with good files.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker - Windows 7 Forums

I may require you to insert your install DVD.