Lost Win 8 DP fancy new Boot Screen

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Installation' started by Medico, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Medico

Medico Senior Member

I had to reformat my Win 8 DP partition and then restore from an Image I had created. When I did this I lost the fancy new Win 8 DP Boot Screen (boot loader). I did have to go into Win 7 and use EasyBCD to add my Win 8 DP OS to the MBR, but the boring old Win 7 boot screen comes up, even when I identify the Win 8 DP OS as the default OS. I can boot into either OS but would like the WIn 8 DP boot screen back.

I did try booting to the Win 8 DP installation media, click Shift+F10 to bring up a command prompt and executr the following:

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos

This all executed successfully, but all I get is that same boring Win 7 boot screen.

I also ran a Repair Install from the Win 8 DP installation media. Did not find and / or fix the problem.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to get it back?

2. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

First make sure that you have a current image of your disk(s)/partition(s) just to make sure you have a strong fall back position.
    Use either OS to label your drive(s) / partition(s) (Windows7 and Windows8) to help resolve any confusion during the process.
    Here's what I did to restore the Windows 8 boot menu.
    I booted from the Windows 8 DVD install media and select the repair option / advanced options / command prompt
    In the command prompt I enumerated my drives by simply using the cd\ and the dir command to see which one was which
    I found that X:\ was my current boot media environment
    C:\ was my reserved system partiion
    D:\ Was my disk labeled Windows7
    and E:\ was my disk labeled Windows8
    Yours may very well be different for various reasons
    With this information I typed the following command
    bcdboot E:\Windows hit enter
    typed exit hit enter
    rebooted and the Windows 8 multiboot menu was back.
    Hope this helps.
    Randy

3. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Trouble is correct about the proper command, but all you have to do is open an Adminstrative command prompt from within Win 8. If C: is the Windows 8 partition, type:

bcdboot C:\Windows

I don't like it because it reboots my system when I go to Windows 7.

4. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Thanks Clark, good to know that I was right and also good to know that there are some step savings to be had. However this was not an option for me as I was caught, for reasons unknown to me at this screen and unable to boot into either. Not sure what I did to get myself into that problem, just know what I did to get my self out of it and now know that I can bring up either boot menu using that technique when needed. And I agree about the issue with the reboot to bring up the Win7 install, seems rather a pain and hopefully will be worked out in subsequent release maybe, maybe not.
    Regards
    Randy

Attached Files:

5. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

That is a good error message, as far as it does give some pertinent information.

Oh, and I have never run a Virtual install, so not really aware of how that might react...

6. Medico

Medico Senior Member

Re: Lost Win 8 DP fancy new Boot Screen - SOLVED

Actually what I did to fix this was just restore mu Win 7 partition from the same Image as I restored the Win 8 DP from. This reset the boot loader so I now have the Win 8 DP boot loader back. Thanks for all the advice.

#6 Medico, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2011