M.S.E. Update

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft has released a new Version 1.0.1963.0 of its free Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) anti-malware package for Windows XP, Vista and 7. The update is available through MSE itself or via Windows Update.

Mine as well. Any clue as to what's changed/different/fixed in this release?

I did google to find release notes and found this:

Official "release notes" from the Ongoing Beta newsgroups...

"This version of the Microsoft Security Essentials [...]
contains some enhancements and compatibility fixes to facilitate a
seamless upgrade experience to future versions of Microsoft Security
Essentials."

Though as far as I'm aware, an updated engine was recently released as well, of which users are reporting much faster scan times.

Ref: Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0.1963.0 - Neowin Forums

scan times here have gone down by about 8~10mins what used to take nearly 30 mins now take just on 20 or so

Microsoft Security Essentials - 2.1.1116 Vista is the latest version

MWSnap00739.png

Link > Link Removed due to 404 Error

News on the M.S.E. beta:

Dear Beta User,
Thank you for joining the Microsoft® Security Essentials Beta. We hope you have enjoyed using the Security Essentials Beta and found it easy to install and use.
The final release of the latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials has recently been released and the beta program will end on April 26th 2012.
During the next days, participants who installed the Security Essentials Beta and are subscribed to automatic updates will be upgraded to the final release of the latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials after they agree to a new license agreement. If you would like to upgrade manually, please visit Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows and click on the “Download Now” button. There is no need to uninstall before upgrading.For more information about automatic updates through Microsoft Update, please visit Windows Update - Keep your PC up to date - Microsoft Windows.
Please note that in order to continue receiving technical support, you will need to upgrade or install the final version of Microsoft Security Essentials.
Thanks again for participating in the Microsoft Security Essentials Beta.
Best regards,
The Microsoft Security Essentials Team

Reference:

You are receiving this email because you are a participant in a Microsoft Connect beta program:

http://connect.microsoft.com/

Last edited:
kemical, you got the same email that I posted in another thread, "Which Anti-Virus do you use". I got it this morning. MS Connect sends me invitations whenever a beta is in development.

Cat

Yes, that's why I included the Connect link so that others can access the same service if they should wish too.

A chance to try: Microsoft Security Essentials Prerelease 4.1.509.0

d187adda-11f8-44ca-8f5e-d80d494e7093.jpg

Welcome to the Microsoft Security Essentials Pre-release Program!
As part of the Microsoft Security Essentials Pre-release program, you will have the opportunity to explore and test new builds of Microsoft Security Essentials before they are publically available and provide feedback to Microsoft. Your feedback helps Microsoft to make its software and services the best that they can be. As a member of the Pre-release program, you are expected to keep the software, information, and community discussions on this site confidential and refrain from posting confidential information from this site on any public space, including the Microsoft Security Essentials Forums.
As a member of this Pre-release program, Microsoft Security Essentials updates will automatically be installed on your computer through Microsoft Updates. We will not be publishing these builds on this site. To help us improve the software, you will be enrolled in the Microsoft Error Reporting, Customer Experience Improvement Program, and Microsoft Active Protection Service. To learn more about these programs, see the Microsoft Security Essentials privacy statement at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=195299.
Leaving the program. If you wish to leave the pre-release program at any point in time, you can do so by uninstalling the program from your machine and un-registering from the program by clicking on this https://connect.microsoft.com/directory/quit/product/981. You have to complete both actions in order to leave the program.
Feedback should be submitted to the discussion board: Link Removed - Invalid URL
Important: If you are running any version of Security Essentials, you have to uninstall first before installing the Pre-release version of Security Essentials.
If you're new to the Microsoft Security Essentials Pre-release program or need a refresher, check out the How Do I Get Started? section of the FAQ.

Microsoft has released a new Version 4.1.522.0 of its free Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) anti-malware package for Windows XP, Vista and 7.

Back