Macrium Reflect - PE Restore Disc loads but will not recognize USB 2.0 External HDD

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Software' started by monotune, Sep 28, 2012.

1. monotune

monotune New Member

I am trialing Macrium Reflect because of its good reputation. I have a simple requirement. Backup to external hard drive (WD Passport), it is USB 2.0. Then use the Windows PE rescue CD to boot up and restore from external HDD. I have been researching this. I know about the lack of USB 3.0 support. But my drive is USB 2.0.

Could some experienced users please chime in? Shouldn't I be seeing this external hard drive when I load the Windows PE rescue disk.

Unfortunately I am reluctant to purchase the program without this basic ability being demonstrated in the free version ... so I have no access to Macrium support for this.

Please somebody? Any ideas?

Thanks so much! :razz:

2. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

It maybe a driver issue. Is your Windows fully updated? Does Macrium have a separate updated ISO for the boot CD? Acronis periodically updates that separate from the actual program.
    Joe

3. monotune

monotune New Member

Thanks for your reply Joe. Windows is fully updated and fully supports the WD Passport drive. It is an older machine so I know the passport is operating in USB 2.0 mode at least and as I said I am pretty sure it is not a USB 3.0 passport. I bought it 8 months ago at least. When I ran the rescue CD wizard in Macrium Reflect it updated files itself, I saw it do that. Also Macrium Reflect itself is updated to the latest version.

This could be a driver issue though, it just seems like these are very very basic drivers that would be included. I should try loading the rescue media with a simple flash drive. I will do that.

In the meantime I downloaded and tried Paragon Backup and Recovery 2012 FREE and made a restore disc which is Linux/DOS based. This time the external hard drive appeared okay. So it is doing something different, it has the drivers I guess. I last left it claiming 20+hrs for the backup of 63GB which seems high, is it? How long does it take to backup a system I am wondering now. I remember Macrium seemed quicker.

My questions now then are:

If you need to inject drivers for a WD Passport External HDD what are the drivers needed? Where do you get them?

How long should the backup take? 60+GB being an example.

Thanks to all who may help!
    monotune:confused:

4. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

With Acronis that size takes about half an hour at most to a USB 2 drive. If this is a desktop try using a port on the back sometimes on old machines the ports on front are USB 1.
    Joe

5. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

I would strongly recommend you try Acronis TI. I have relied on it for years and consider it the bet in its field. It is not expensive and you can download a fully working trial copy.

1 person likes this.
  6. monotune

monotune New Member

I am using the ports on the front. I will move them to the back. I was not able to wait for Paragon Backup and Recovery 2012 FREE to finish so I don't know for sure what the backup time was. I will experiment with it. WHS sent me a Macrium ISO of his own which I am going to try also. I will trial Acronis as well.

I am very happy to be part of this community, thank you for your advice! :razz:
    Marc

7. monotune

monotune New Member

Thanks for the recommendation Pat. Would you recommend the latest version of TI, or is there a particular version. I recall they have several packages. I see TrueImage 2013 is 40% off this weekend which is a good deal if it works ($29.95). I will try that.

Best Regards,
    Marc

8. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

As in most packages I'd just go for the latest to get the best support. Acronis do have quite good pricing deals. I also found when I bought mine online that when I tried to go back from the final step of purchasing I got a popup asking me if I as really sure about not finalising the transaction and offering me another 10% off if I proceeded! Don't know if it still does that ;)

9. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

I'm still using Acronis TI 2010 I boot from CD and make image or restore that way. I have my HD partitioned with system on one and data on the other.
    Joe

10. monotune

monotune New Member

Cool. Thanks for the reply. I think this is the setup I would do for personal stuff. The system I am figuring this all out on is a client system and non techie people have a tough time maintaining more than a single partition system it seems to me. They just put it all on c: and it does not confuse them this way. Once I have tried all suggestions I will post an update. Thanks to all for the helpful comments!

Marc